Wiso Track

Submitted: Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 08:30
ThreadID: 23815 Views:2559 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We just completed the Wiso track across the Tanami desert from Lajamanu to Tennent Creek via The Duck Ponds, Green Swamp bore and Wiso bore. We were looking for some real adventure and plan to write an article for 4wd magazine.

We sought permission from the Aboriginal Community and from the Lajamanu Police who both advised us that they discourage people from travelling the track. The police told us two vehicles had been through in two years, one had to be rescued after using up all spare tyres.

We were sufficiently prepared and fully self sufficient and advised the police of our preparation. We asked if we could go look and make up our minds as to our chances of successfully negotiating the track which they were happy about. We exchanged HF radio contact details and back up contacts.

The track is VERY overgrown with turpentine wattle and other wattles known to destroy tyres. Scrub grows up between the wheel tracks, which in some places are almost invisible. Where burned and dead, the wattle hung over the track to the extent that it obscured the view ahead and scrathed the vehicle paint to the extent that it will require a respray to return any shine. -It is the wife's car :-) We had to fold the mirrors in to avoid losing them and tied the HF antenna back to the roof rack.

We had one puncture and one other flat, caused when we hit a concealed termite mound at about 25 kph causing dirt to get between the bead and rim. We also had a fuel pump failure due to a bad contact inside the fuel tank, requiring removal of the tank. Since there was no clear ground, we camped on the track overnight then replaced the fuel tank the next morning.

Two and one half days later, we completed the 295 k from the Duck ponds to Tennent Creek.

It was a real challenge, and I would discourage travel on the track unless you are

1. adequately prepared to deal with ANY mechanical failure
2.carrying sufficient spare tyres and lots of tyre repair gear.
3 carrying twice as much fuel as you need ( it is easy to get lost and travel a long way on the wrong tracks)
4. prepared to destroy your paint and perhaps lights and mirrors.

Cheers

David O

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 09:13

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 09:13
Brilliant David. That's the sort of thing I love. I can't wait to see your article.
AnswerID: 115517

Reply By: Member - RockyOne - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 09:29

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 09:29
Great adventure David O..A legend in your own lunch time no doubt..At least you did it in a true professional manner..We all should learn from that..Thanks also for your feedback re track from Blackall,(CDMAs work there),*Yaraka to Windorah..Was ok in my little Mitz 4x2 Triton but not again as too low for rocks in centre of wheel trax.I came back through Windorah,Stonehenge,Longreach..Much better way to go..*Like a little western town,end of the rail line,nestled at the base of the mountains behind.I get all the 4B mags..What name do you write under or will that just be obvious when we read the story?
AnswerID: 115520

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 10:58

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 10:58
Glad your trip went well.
I will let all know via forum when published.
FollowupID: 371178

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 01:51

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 01:51
Done plenty of tracks like that actually they are the good ones best advice would be to use crossply tyres and split rims. Also protection for the steering rods is a must as is spare fuel line and joining adaptters. Toyotas wont destroy the paint but the panels will bend under extreme duress. Same Type of country you speak of I have done except straight bush bashing and it was totally burnt up to 3 flats at each stop. To see well st up vehicles take a look at Geological survey vehicles as they have been covering every square km of this state with cruisers for many years (before cruisers they used camels)
AnswerID: 115635

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 11:07

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 11:07
Just a quick cmment on the paint. It was badly scratched and I thought for sure it was finished. I got to work on it a little patch at a time with Repo Paint Doctor. Man what a difference!! I will post some pics befpre and after.

PS I have no affilliation or interests in Repo or its products, just impressed with the result.
FollowupID: 371683

Sponsored Links