Yowie Rocks track

Submitted: Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 15:06
ThreadID: 23823 Views:2161 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just got back from travelling the Yowie rocks Track which leads from the Evanston menzies road to Koolynobbing. It goes via several granite roaks with soaks past some great bushland and onto the Helena and Aurora Ranges with Bungalbin Hill a feature. I Started off on Friday about midday and camped at Currara soak. In the morning doing a sidetrek to a ridge that features the second highest point on the kalgoorlie mapsheet. Ended up getting bogged at the end of the day at a Granite outcrop. Whinch couldnt pull me out and had to resort to physical labour and the highlift jack and hublifter for a recovery. That night it really pored And I awoke to find about 80% of the track filled with 3 inches of water not including long stretches of deep bog holes. The bush tyres I got recently really shone as although they are bald they still have big mud busting lugs left on the side and managed to get me past the Hunt ranges where things were (a bit) drier so it was through the abandoned mt dimer minesite and onto the helena aurora ranges where I spent time poking about till dark. wanting to get back at a reasnable time today I pushed on past koolynobbing and southern cross and spent the Night at Keeling? rocks where there is a flume built from the rocks to a dam built in the early 1900s.
If any one is intrested in more info of this fairly remote area I took some wayponts of most of the significant features. you would however have to be prpared to get freindly with the overgrowth in parts and change the odd flat if running radials
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 15:54

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 15:54
Davoe, you didn't mention the most important thing, did ya find any of that filthy yellow stuff ? :)))))))
AnswerID: 115548

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 19:04

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 19:04
There Is no yellow there. I used to do parts of the track for the Geological survey and there are very few good tracks in the area because all exploration has come to zip
FollowupID: 371224

Reply By: BenSpoon - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 17:54

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 17:54
Sounds like a decent trip
Were the bog holes deep at all? Cruising around Coolgardie last week after the rain there was a fair few large ones, but luckily not deep. driving on the wet clay seemed to be more of a problem- bugger all traction and slipping all over the track at anything above 30km/h.

How did ya enjoy that 2°C this morning?

AnswerID: 115560

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 19:12

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 19:12
some had me dragging the belly and the MFR super grippers just kept on plugging. certainly was cold this morning but the gear I have was bought tax detuctable(200 dollar sleeping bag etc) as I spent 70 nights out in the bush over the dead of winter last year for work . . Worst bog holes you get are around the granite rocks. As I was jacking up the wheels they just filled up with water. It is like being bogged in a sponge
FollowupID: 371225

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 05:37

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 05:37
Sounds like a fun time you guys are having in West Aussie with the mud, but you didn't actually say you caught up with the all important thing at the Yowie Rocks, a Yowie. Well didja, didja?
AnswerID: 115641

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 10:50

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 10:50
Yowie was killed back in 93 by the 1080 baits however I am led to believe the one at yowie hill to the n/e of kal is still going. As for fun I wash Mud encrusted vehicles every day at work and as I spent half a day doing my own I fail to see the fun in it. I had been intending on doing this track for a while and I wasnt going to put it off any longer
FollowupID: 371274

Sponsored Links