Wet swags

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 08:15
ThreadID: 23838 Views:6483 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Morning all

A general question about swags. We have decided to head down that track for some of the more out of the way spots where the CT is not a wise option.

The thought just occurred to me ... in the event of a spot of wet weather, what's the go with rolling up a wet swag and keeping the outside moisture from the bedding inside. I've thought of a few options like rolling up with a sheet of plastic, but not having ... been there, done that, I'm curious.

So you lot that are used to humping yer bluey ... what's the go??

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 08:25

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 08:25
My swag seems to get wet on the inside anyway, due to me sleeping warm. If it's a good canvas, it shouldn't be a huge problem for a couple, or a few days. What I do find, is that I look for a sleeping bag that has a waterproof outer, not like total waterproof, 'cause it still has to breathe.
If I can arrive at camp early in the afternoon, I simply pull my sleeping bag out of the swag, and unzip it, and lay it over the doors of the car to air out. The swag I use has 2 hoops, so it stays all open like, and airs out quite fine. If I can air out for an hour in the afternoon sun, whilst attending to chores, all is good.
If I can't air out, and the weather is crappy, you get damp, that's all. After say.... 3 - 4 days, you seriously need to have the whole thing aired out, or you may do damage. If it's a little damp, it's okay.... as long as you're warm in your sleeping bag.
I guess it goes without further saying.... don't use a down sleeping bag.

Sleep tight.... and warm....

Wolfie
AnswerID: 115647

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 08:32

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 08:32
When its around zero in the desert the real down sleeping bag is the only way to go. As far as moisture goes - I usually undo the zip before having a slash :-)
FollowupID: 371262

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 10:13

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 10:13
Bob-
I second that.
When there is frost on everything around you and you are warm in your duck down bed, it speaks for itself. They compress well to roll up small, and they fluff up enough to separate a cold wet canvas swag from yourself. Mine made its way into my swag 3 years back, and I havent been bush out without it since.

As good as the water proof sleeping bags are, being kept awake by the things rustling is damn annoying.
FollowupID: 371271

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 16:58

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 16:58
Sorry fellas.... down is warm, very warm, but can be a real pain to get dry again once it has been wet whilst out camping.

If you know you can keep it dry, no ifs & butts, then it's the way to go, but if you are a bit hesitant about the moisture, or it getting wet in any way, then you will have some bother.

Cheers

Wolfie
FollowupID: 371338

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:43

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:43
Don't agree down is the only way for low temps. My Outer Limits -5 deg C Traveller Jumbo 302 bag
http://www.grangerscampingworld.com.au/
is terrific at low temps. I've used it at 2C and was warm as toast. It's filled with GSM Exotherm (whatever that is!?) and light enough to carry if you want to backpack it - $125.

It's never been wet but I suspect it would dry out fairly quickly.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 371356

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 10:44

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 10:44
havnt had a problem yet. My swag usually gets rolled up damp and still get a dry sleep for no detrimental effect on the swag or sleeping gear. Goes without saying dont pack it away when home damp. I have the 2 hoop style and always leave the end window open. Also try using a groundsheet that is big enough to fold over the swag as it can be flicked over the swag as extra protection if Hughie really brings it down
AnswerID: 115669

Follow Up By: prado4x4 - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 12:58

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 12:58
Same here, I tie a groundsheet from the bullbar, slopping down to the ground, and setup the swag under that if it's really heaving down. Keeps it all pretty dry. I guess the difference here is between a 'damp' swag, and a 'saturated' swag - on the outside at least. Usually stays very dry on the inside.

John
FollowupID: 371300

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 13:03

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 13:03
that blue thing on my roof rack is an el cheopo tarp rolled up with 2 legs in it. unroll take out legs peg out with that u beut edjustable rope and hay presto protection from rain cost stuff all
FollowupID: 371301

Reply By: traveller2 - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 15:14

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 15:14
Yeh we always use a tarp off the side of the truck to keep the dew and rain off. If in bush country camp under small trees which also keep the dew off .
Always leave the window open and have just the screen over me in a 2 hoop job, limits the condensation.
AnswerID: 115720

Sponsored Links