Pajero overheating

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 09:42
ThreadID: 23843 Views:10379 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
My new Pajero overheated/boiled while towing my caravan. The explanation was " a chemical reaction with the coolant in the radiator" ??? As the coolant isn,t changed for 2 yaers, does this mean there are lots of new Pajeros out there waiting to boil when put under some stress?? Mitsubishi hasn't yet replaced th radiator just cleared the blockage. I'm about to stasrt negotiating for a replacement radiator. Anyone else with the same problem and what do you think of the explanation?
Swaggy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GUPatrol - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 10:56

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 10:56
Swaggy,

Apparently a common problem, check this link:

http://www.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/PajeroForum.htm

I remember they were talking about radiators being replaced under warranty.

Will
AnswerID: 115671

Reply By: vitara - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 13:10

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 13:10
Hi Swaggy, not sure if this is any help to you or not, not sure on your log books in regards to how often you are required to change your coolant but when I worked for toyota we had a lot of troubles with the toyota cressidas (I know this is not a mitsi or a 4wd) but being an imported vehicle they use to use a different coolant than what we did and when the coolant overflow bottle was topped up or the coolant was flushed but the mechanics failed to open the heater tap so that all old coolant was flushed out the two would then mix over a period of time and would coagulate blocking the radiator half way. Good way to check if it does it again is to see if you can feel a diff in temp between the top of radiator to the bottom half by placing your hand on the coolng fins.You will determine if there is any noticable temp differance. Hope this is of some help to you. Regards vitara
AnswerID: 115703

Reply By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 14:49

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 14:49
Hi Swaggy,

I had exactly the same problem. Towed in April 2004 over the Blue Mountains and onto Mudgee through Lithgow with absolutely no problem.
Set off again in August 2004 for a 10 week trip and boiled out of Lithgow heading to Bathurst on the first day @#$%^. Car had only done about 17,000 kms at this stage. Two adults plus camping and recovery gear in the car towing an 16 ft Coromal Seka 505 weighing about 1800 kgs

This topic fully covered on the Pajerclub Forum -www.pajeroclub.com.au. Do a search for "overheating"

Mitsubishi have not formally identified the problem but it does appear to be the coolant "gelling" which cause a partial blockage.

What model Paj - MY05? DiD or Petrol? where did the car come from? Canberra? where do you live?

Mine was a long story which ended up with a blown head gasket and the last Mitso dealer pulling the top and bottom radiator tanks and fully flushing the system. Very pleased with the last Mitso dealer.

The problem seems to be fixed.

If after reading the thread on the Pajeroclub you want me to give you my story in detail, e-mail me at ross.payne@isystems.com.au
AnswerID: 115717

Sponsored Links