Firewood Collection - Confused???

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:01
ThreadID: 23846 Views:8794 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I hope somebody can provide me with information. Up until the weekend just gone, we believed that we could collect firewood for camping purposes in State Forest (vic). Literally just some small logs for a night or two, no trailer load there. Anyway, we have just returned from a trip where we were informed by some lovely locals that you now need a permit to collect firewood from any state forest in vic. From what I have read on the dnre web site, it seems that the collection they are issuing permits for is for domestic use (ie. home heating). Where do we stand with collection for camping and if we cannot collect anymore, any ideas on where to go in the east gippsland area to get some?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Redback - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:47

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:47
Yep NSW too, need a permit and can't at all in National parks but i haven't heard of not being able to collect for a camp fire in a SF, only if it says bring your own firewood and thats mainly because there is none there.

Baz.
AnswerID: 115680

Follow Up By: Jodi - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:53

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:53
Thanks Baz. We were actually spending the long weekend in Croajingalong (thurra river) - so in order to try and do the right thing, we stopped in some state forest on the other side of princes hwy before heading in. While camped, some locals came in to fish and that's when they told us about the new permits. Maybe you can still collect if you are actually camped in the State Forest but not if it is to be removed to another forest... It's all too confusing sometimes and being a long weekend we saw a couple of rangers in places we wouldn't normally see them so it's good to figure out where we stand.
FollowupID: 371283

Reply By: Steve West - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 15:18

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 15:18
Hi Jodi I quickly contacted the DSE on your and our behave to ask if there was any truth in what you were told by whoever, the lady i spoke to from DSE confirmed that there is no such requirment, if you have internet go to;
www.dse.vic.gov.au
click; --------------- Fire & other emergencies
Teachers & Students
right hand column- Publications
Camp fires & barbeques.
Both the lady from DSE and myself seem to think that your lovely locals must be up set about us campers coming in and burning there wood .The reg's are basicaly, any wood thats on the ground is pickins for the camp fire, any wood even standing dead is classed as habitat for the beasties large or small so is to be left alone, and only enougth wood should be collected for cooking and for reasonable warmth.
This to my knowledge is the same for state and national parks, and i'm sure that if the gov were to try and introduce somthing like this, we in 4wd clubs, associated with the vic 4wd association would soon here about it.
So if next time you see them there lovely locals; well just be nice okay.
regards Steve West.

AnswerID: 115721

Follow Up By: Jodi - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 15:25

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 15:25
Thanks Steve. Much appreciated. It's confusing at times, particularly when you are trying to do the right thing and regulations just seem to be making it harder and harder for campers and 4WDers to enjoy themselves in peace and solitude.
FollowupID: 371327

Reply By: Steve West - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 17:08

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 17:08
Ah Peace and Solitude, the solitude bit dos'nt worry me ,the more the merrier but is it just me or are there more arrogant people getting into the camping scene, yahooing making lots of noise, getting blind and abusing other campers into the early hours of the following morning, I'm thinking about changeing my long weekends to the one before the long w/k end just to have some peace.
The last year or so nealy every place we've camped has had some inconciderate person on the site.
Steve West.
AnswerID: 115737

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 17:21

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 17:21
must be tough in the east. Over here(west) I find it almost immpossible to find a campsite with any one within cooee and even that is difficult. Building a ampfire is usually pulling up next to a decent sized fallen branch and setting it alight
FollowupID: 371341

Follow Up By: Jodi - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 17:27

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 17:27
I completely agree. We have met some wonderful people camping. It's the ones with no consideration that are annoying. We watch new arrivals to campsites hoping and praying that they are friendly and are not going to have the car stereo broadcasting to every other site. We had an experience some months ago that resulted in a phone call to the rangers to report campers (and their numberplate) after they deposited a couple of eskies into the pit toilets, left an old couch behind as well as a 1metre high pile of smouldering food and bags of lord knows what... Not to mention the monkey swinging off all the tea trees to pull them down for fire wood and the attempts to get up a tree to catch and kill a goanna that ran up there to find safety from the crushed cans and sticks being thrown at it. I prefer to relax and get along with everybody, but it's people like that I can't stand - and I'm tipping just quietly that they're also the reason we are now getting so many regulations.
FollowupID: 371342

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:33

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:33
Jodi - would I be correct in suspecting you camp in places two wheel drives (probably utes!) can get to?

I only use bush sites and the more remote the better. When I go bush the last thing I want to see is other people.

I've never had any bad experiences (some ignorant fisherman excepted - but we soon sorted them out :) in bush camps but _no way_ would I go away on holiday weekends and NO, NO, NO WAY to an area accessible by 2WDs.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 371353

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 02:13

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 02:13
Hey Mike Have you been out West? perhaps you would enjoy it. From Kalgoorlie there is no worries getting into so much uninterupted bushland that from alot of the posts it seems that it would blow an Eastern Staters mind No paddocks no roads no habitation and if you choose not even any tracks just Forest as far as the eye can see
FollowupID: 371395

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 06:56

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 06:56
Morning Davoe

WA is the one mainland state I haven't been to. Sounds good though, and I do love "getting away from it" and I'm finding I have to go further and further away from Melbourne these days to ensure remoteness. One thing which puts me off WA (if I'm correct?) is the lack of rivers - in the Vic High Country we have some beautiful crystal clear rivers which it is a joy to camp beside.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 371399

Follow Up By: Jodi - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 08:55

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 08:55
Hi Mike and Dave,

WA is starting to sound more appealling all the time... Friends of ours did a lap of the county about 2 years ago and they still rave about how beautiful and remote WA was. They also frequently make mention of the lack of camp fees etc... Mike you are right about the two wheel drive thing, thinking about it, our problems with other campers only seem to occur in places that are more easily accessible by anybody and also generally easy to get to for a long weekend - once upon a time I would have assumed that 50km of dirt road would put a lot of 2WDers off. Will have to narrow our list of places to visit down and just return to the old trusty favourites where only the 4WD can get in (and out)...
FollowupID: 371409

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:57

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:57
Yea definitly is a bit of a lack of clear streams and babbling brooks in my neck of the woods. Closest thing to it would be the woodline dams built on the granite rocks. South West has some good spots but is a lot more heavily populated
FollowupID: 371437

Sponsored Links