Parabolic tapered leaf springs

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 13:22
ThreadID: 23851 Views:4921 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone give me some reviews of Parabolic tapered leaf springs. Need to replace my leaf springs on a new 2005 hilux to get some lift. Hilux is a tray model and is used every weekend offroad.

What are parabolic springs like compared to normal leafs? Also where can I go to get some in Melbourne?

What brands of leaf springs does everyone like or dislike?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jason M P - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 12:41

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 12:41
hi hound, far as i know that parabolic springs are more off a flatter,thicker spring and may only have 2 leaf together.dont know if the are suitable for going off road and due to the design of the parabolic spring.
cheers..
AnswerID: 115866

Reply By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 14:46

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 14:46
Not sure about 4wd but they use parabolics for trailers a fair bit, check out the ALKO website for a description in their leaf spring pages.

But it is single leaf of a varying thickness which gives a progressive rate. It also has advantages in marine trailer applications, since it can be galvinised and there is no rubbing between leaves so they last well in salt environment.

Hope that help if not there is always GOOGLE!!!!
AnswerID: 115877

Reply By: desert - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 14:58

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 14:58
Contrary to the makers claims, they ride worse than parallel springs. Nissan used them in the early stages of the MQ model and had no end of warranty claims for years afterwards. The fix was to trash them and start again with a parallel type spring pack. Lots of trucks use them as a cheaper, lighter assembly, and most of the complaints are against their ride quanility.As for longevity they are fine if not asked to stroke over their complete travel all of the time, which is exactly what you need to do in a 4x4. In short, fine for trailers and some trucks, but do not work in off-highway applications.
AnswerID: 115878

Reply By: sshep - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 19:37

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 19:37
hi hound, i have a 2003 rodeo duel cab & decided to use a coil combo from outback suspensions in melbourne ph 03 97233809 i have not purchased yet but will, if you search the forum i queried the system and got some replies best of luck sshep
AnswerID: 115916

Sponsored Links