HJ61 leaking water

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 16:13
ThreadID: 23856 Views:2266 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

I have an 1987 HJ61 that is leaking water into the front footwells. It only happens during heavy prolonged rain. Due to the all the wiring, soundproofing and bits & bobs I cannot find the exact source. I can see a trickle or dripping at the firewall/kick panel join but even with the kick panels and insulation out I cannot see the entry point

Vehicle has no rust to let rain in around A pillar/windscreen. Just hoping someone has had the same problem and found the source, before I take my dash apart. Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 16:26

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 16:26
I know what I am about to say doesn't 'fit' the evidence as outlined in your e-mail but I put this forward 'just in case'

Have you checked the air con? Some people run air con when it rains to keep the condensation off windows...is it possible the air con is doing this?
AnswerID: 115729

Follow Up By: gerard - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 16:46

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 16:46
Thanks KiwiAngler but no, its not the air-con though I know what you mean.
I have tried carefully running the hose sequentially over the outside of the vehicle while watching for water inside. Following Murphys law, the odd drip suddenly becomes becomes apparent about 15mins after I started and I have no idea which body panel join, vent or whatever is the entry point...
On the aircon idea, a mate and I were visiting various rivers in sth canty fly fishing one very hot day with the air con on full tit for several hours. Suddenly on a sharp corner my passenger let out a scream as about 1/2 a litre of cold water sloshed out of the air con onto my mate feets and into the carpet. Turned out the aircon drain hole and tube was full of broken windscreen glass and had blocked and backed up inside the air con! very funny at the time...
FollowupID: 371334

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:50

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:50
In that case Gerard, given the above scenario, the broken windscreen glass in the air con pipe, it may be time to have a windscreen fitted!
FollowupID: 371359

Reply By: mcgra (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:11

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:11
hi gerard

is this on both sides?

or just one.

gra
AnswerID: 115747

Follow Up By: gerard - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:35

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:35
Hi gra

its on both sides but only after heavy or sustained rain... whats on your mind???

cheers
Gerard
FollowupID: 371354

Reply By: mcgra (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:50

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:50
gerard

i have 60 series and was having water after a heavy rain also.

put the hose on it in the end and found it was coming from the ventilation duct inlet.

take of the cover in the engine where the wiper blade motor is and i found rust had eaten the body due to a load of crap that had fallen down the grill in front of the wind screen.

i removed the raised vent and made good the body work
on the oppersite side you have another panel that you can remove to inspect above the drives side.
also with all the extra cables put through the fire wall you may find the water goes onto them and works it way through. i wrapped elec tape around them to make a cone shape to deflect the water while i was driving.

hope that is clear enuff.

gra
AnswerID: 115753

Follow Up By: gerard - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 19:03

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 19:03
gra

Thanks for tips, I will have a look as you suggest although I must have run the hose in that vent for a full minute. I should actually find out how it drains itself... probably shoulda checked that before I put the hose in it...

cheers
g

FollowupID: 371360

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:51

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:51
Does it have a sunroof, drain tubes run down the A pillars if it does and will block up with rubbish allowing the water to overflow, a mate had one that one of the tubes had kinked and then perished which let water in as well.
There is also a rubber on the wiper spindles that can crack and let water in.
AnswerID: 115754

Follow Up By: gerard - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 19:15

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 19:15
Hi Peter

Yep, its got a sunroof but I did not know about the drains. Do they run right down the A pillars and into the front guard door panel area? I mean if I take the footwell kick panels off can I access the lower end of the tubes?

W.r.t the wipers, there is a plastic surround to the spindle that kinda clips into the bodywork or do you mean a rubber seal on the spindle?

the plastic bit is missing so it could be there that the water is getting in.

thanks for the idea

BTW I saw an item on TV where an a german guy was importing "tired" ex US Army humvees complete with gun turrets etc from the middle east, fully refurbishing them and selling them privately for around 40000 euros. Still pretty utilitarian inside but nicely done in brushed alloy dashs etc. They looked very nice.

cheers
Gerard
FollowupID: 371361

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 19:23

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 19:23
I'm with Peter on this one - sunroof drainage is most likely the culprit. Might need to drill some drain holes in the sill panel.

Phil
FollowupID: 371364

Follow Up By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 19:39

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 19:39
From memory the tubes are accessible through the kick panels but again from memory to clear them the fella applied compressed air to the hole at the top. the tproblem is that if they kink/perish or just plain come off at the top the water runs down the inside of the A pillar and can go pretty well anywhere.
The wiper tubes have a rubber that fits on the bit that turns and fits over the fixed bit, right up under the actual arm, some vehicles do anyway, can't remember whether 60's do though.
Well our Humvee's were sold as scrap to the Saudi's to be destroyed, they promptly resold them intact to whoever and wherever much to the US's dismay. Most had less than 30 -40 k miles on them and only needed things like seals and consumables to bring them back to peak condition.
FollowupID: 371366

Reply By: mcgra (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 20:07

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 20:07
gerard do you have the factory manuals for the car.

shows all the bits and pieces

gra
AnswerID: 115763

Sponsored Links