Is it just me ??

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 16:38
ThreadID: 23857 Views:2166 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
After praising Westen 4wder for their trip notes I read further to find they had bollocked an Exploration company for grading part of the c.s.r for drill rig access. Never having done the c.s.r let alone seeing the graded section I cant actually see the problem. The complaint was they didnt return it to the original state I mean what are they meant to do re corragate it!!!!! Fact is here in WA their would be access to stuff all without these exploration tracks and I can assure you from personall experience they are swallowed back up by the bush all to quickly without regular use. However the real doozy was In the Lake Johnson trip notes they use an exploration track double standards???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BenSpoon - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 17:18

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 17:18
I know of a mob of blokes here in Kal that are kicking up a stink about what happened on the CSR. Whether it is out of genuine upset, or simply that the exploration company got away with only consulting half the environmental agencies that mining companies here have to to do the same thing- Im not sure.

AnswerID: 115739

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 17:29

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 17:29
I have been involved in track creation and these days you have to do some type of rehab such as rip the ground, fill in sumpps. Unless the track was preexisting. Reason is This is the first time I have heard of people complain about track improvement,
FollowupID: 371344

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 17:41

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 17:41
ripping the ground.... It makes me laugh each time I see it. A track hasnt been used for a while, and it starts to get bushes and saplings growing in the guts of it.... then they rehab it by pushing a dozer through and ripping up all the new growth.
FollowupID: 371345

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:36

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:36
Ripping the ground is a mines dept (government ) issue landholders will often have to write letters requesting the ground not be ripped as it slows rehab In my experience dozer cuts usually rehab quicker than than modern methods of loader with bucket 30cm off the ground as the cut traps water promoting growth. In any case it seems a track has a maximum lifespan of around 30 years maximum before it is tottaly gone and as little as a few years if fire goes through
FollowupID: 371355

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 17:51

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 17:51
I can see where they are comming from... I mean you wouldn't be too impressed if a locl Kal. Minning company came and graded a 20 meter wide access road straight down the holland track without getting the proper authorisations would you?
AnswerID: 115742

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:29

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:29
wasnt 20meters wide and the holland track did have a grader go through recently to push all the dead fall off after the fires at the start of the year but as you quite rightly point out no one complained........... other examples are the fraser range track south of the telegraph track was graded again no one complained. The Holland track was after all a mining access track
FollowupID: 371352

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:47

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:47
20 Meters was an example, not a description of what happened.

"The Holland Track was cut through the mallee scrub as a route for prospectors headed to the new goldfields of Coolgardie/Kalgoorlie. The Holland Track, so named not because the country is flat, but the team was led by John Holland, who was soon reclaimed by the scrub. "

Not exactly a Multinational with a D9 was it...

"The Canning Stock Route is a world famous 4wd route for people to test their skills and challenge themselves and their vehicles"

Well that section is sure gonna be challenging now, woohoo!

Davoe, I don't know the full storey, I was just trying to put a different spin out there, I can see both sides of the argument.
FollowupID: 371357

Follow Up By: Coops (Kalgoorlie) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 15:02

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 15:02
people I know of came tyhrough there just after the article was printed and they didn't even notice the improvement such was it's subtelty. I believe all necessary authorities were contacted it's just that some of these environmental groups aren't quite as powerful or highly thought of as they think they are
FollowupID: 371456

Reply By: Exploder - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 19:43

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 19:43
I can't see a problem

The canning stock route is just that a stock route, that is not used so it has been adopted for 4wding. It was not built nor is it there for 4WD only, it is a track for anybody to use.

Now I would be disappointed if the drilling returned some positive drill core and they pushed to set up a mine and thus destroying that part of the canning now that would be a real tragedy.

So that small section of track is no longer as challenging as the rest and so the 4WD gets a rest for a wile on that section, Who knows it may save you a shock.

So just relax it is ok. It will be back to its ruff old self in 6 months anyway, so what is the problem
AnswerID: 115758

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 15:39

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 15:39
I was relaxed exploder. As said before I was showing the other side of the coin.

It does concern me when people waltz in and take over, and as you said
"Now I would be disappointed if the drilling returned some positive drill core and they pushed to set up a mine and thus destroying that part of the canning now that would be a real tragedy. "

Do you think they would be there if they didn't think there was a chance of finding a positive drill core?

So what, wait till it's all happened and it's too late before bringing up the issue for discussion? That's really pro-active...

FollowupID: 371459

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 16:27

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 16:27
I guess what has really fired me up as I have taken it as yet another envoronmental swipe at mining. Who are these people trying to kid?? only blind freddy who has taken the plane flight from perth to kal can see the impact mining has. It goes like this Take off from perth with its totally and utterly environmentaly degraded environment, Fly over the wheat belt and play spot the tree and then into the goldfields forest as far as the eye can see with a mine or 2 around which is hardly a blip on the overall landscape. After mining these areas play important roles in the habitat as they privide topography, caves and shelter that act as beakons in a flat landscape. They do not continue to provide a barron wasteland like a city or paddock. And just as importantly for some they drive Australias economic engine room which currently sustains an Envoronment where every able bodied West Australian under the age of 50 that wants a job has got one!!
FollowupID: 371464

Follow Up By: Exploder - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 18:29

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 18:29
Sorry Jeff was not referring to you, the relax was not directed at anybody in particular.

Anyway
Just because they drilled there doesn’t mean they will fined anything, there are hundred’s of exploration drill’s that are carried out that return bugger all. Unfortunately the sad fact is that if there is a huge mineral deposit in that area some 4Wders and green’s jumping up and down probably will not stop it. Sad but True.

Besides if there was a mine able deposit found you bet you ass they would be back taking more samples by now.

FollowupID: 371479

Reply By: Member - Matt- Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 19:06

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 19:06
one point raised about grading the track was that after driving hundreds of k's on the normal CSR track, and being speed limitted by the condition of that track, some travellers may tend to build up too much speed on the apparently good graded road. the point was made about fully loaded 4wd, high speeds and remote locations. Maybe a recipe for disaster. Although it all comes down to the driver, I'm sure all of us here have found themselves going way too fast on a track, smooth sailing, and have the conditions change so suddenly, that they realize they're not 100% in controll even if only for a moment.
However Davoe, I had been planning to go out to the helena aurora ranges this week, but after following the weather and reading your post I reckon I'll leave it to dry out a bit, bugger. I went thru late last year doing the roly dimer trip and at the time thought she'd be a lot of work in the wet.
Even with this double standard, you can't beat Western 4WDer for a well balanced read. cheers mat
AnswerID: 115907

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 02:17

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 02:17
dont knoew how ýou were intending on getting there but from Southern cross up to the hunt ranges was damp but not crappy also has been no rain since sat night. Biggest issue is figuring your way around the haul roads for Portmans. If they had half a brain they would sighnpost the tracks around their haul roads better but it isnt that bad just keeps you looking
FollowupID: 371530

Sponsored Links