Recovery Kits

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 17:54
ThreadID: 23858 Views:2684 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Whats in your recovery kit?
What I am chasing is useful kit that people have come across for recoveries that they use now. Theres all the standard crap like chains, slings, shackles etc, but I need a new toy. I've heard davoes reports of the hub lifter- a useful bit of gear. Ive recently purchased a decent saw, and lost count how many times I've used it. Any items you'd recommend? has anyone used a chain block instead of a hand winch? Has anyone found a safe and easy way of using a spinning tyre as a winch etc
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:19

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:19
My recovery "toys" would probally be a couple of traction mats. (they look weak as bleep but have actually done their job suprisingly well a couple of times). I also have an exaust jack, it does work and it's easy and quick to get out, but a pain in the ass to put away again.

Then I've got the usual, snatch, equalizer, shackles yada yada. Got a 9 tonne tow rope as well for the towing of mad friends who've broken something back down the highway. Not much else, oh except the short shovel and long handled shovel.
AnswerID: 115751

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:28

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:28
I found one traction mat in the pilbara after cyclone monty levelled the place- still haven't had a need for it though. Are yours the thin plastic grid ones, or the big treads with teeth on the bottom or something else?
FollowupID: 371351

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:56

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:56
Best item in my recovery kit is my chair. I can sit down and think "now how do I get out of this ?" :)
AnswerID: 115755

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 19:08

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 19:08
I have a mate who takes a long length of plasma rope and uses it as a substitute for a winch.

To winch someone up a short slope, or to move them in a sideways direction or backwards or whatever, you attach a snatch block to a tree ahead of the stuck vehicle, and run the plasma rope between the stuck vehicle, thru the snatch block and onto the recovery vehicle. So the recovery vehicle simply has to reverse to pull the stuck vehicle forward, or sideways or whatever.

The rope isn't cheap, but he says its more versatile than an electric winch, won't break down, is stacks lighter and has heaps more uses and applications.

Just some ideas

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 115756

Follow Up By: David T - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 20:16

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 20:16
Whilst I admire the simplicity of this suggestion, have caution about using reverse gear.

I'll tell a story,
Two made mates of mine were running V8 Falcons in the Australian Rally Championship. When Car 1 was stuck off the road, and Car 2 came along, they flagged him down for a tow out of their predicament. He attached the tow rope to the front of his vehicle and REVERSED away. Broke the reverse gear and ultimately destroyed the gearbox forcing him out of the rally.

When we were discussing the event later that evening, one of the mechanics said the problem was not the overall strength of the gearbox, but just reverse gear - can't take massive loads.

I think the above is great, but could you do the same with the tow vehicle driving forwards.

Just my 2 cents
DavidT
FollowupID: 371370

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 21:56

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 21:56
Hi David,

I agree wholeheartedly about reversing. Its usually the Toyota front diff that goes crunch with a reverse snatch; but I'd be guessing that in this situation, the force applied would only be a tow, and the driver would like to have a good view of the recovery.

But, I am just guessing - its not something I've done in practice.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 371381

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 17:55

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 17:55
Phil it's an excellant recovery techneque which is 10 times faster than winching with little or no stress on the cars. The weight of the towing car on the hill means little effort is required to get the stuck vehicle going often without even snatching. You do need an excellent anchor point as the recovery load will be doubled. I use a 50m winch cable in preferance to Plasma rope so that I can drag it over rocks or logs without fear of breaking it. In the desert if I connect my 50m winch rope to the 50 m extension, add the drag chain & a couple of snatch straps I can usually reach a 1/2 solid anchor point somewhere.
As for reverse gear take the time to turn around.
Cheers Craig..............
FollowupID: 371469

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 19:57

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 19:57
G'day

It varies depending on the levels you wish. Have a look here http://www.exploroz.com/vehicle/recovery_gear.asp .

Anything from the basic snatch strap and a couple of shackles through to winches ( hand and power) spares, tools and much more.

Basic should include suitable

Snatch strap
Drag Chain
Rated shackles
Vehicle recovery points front and rear

REgards

Paul

AnswerID: 115760

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 22:44

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 22:44
Most usefull Thing I have seen was the Girls I worked with would take 5 planks of Jarrah. Thought it was just excess weight until we Got bogged on the edge of a salt lake without a tree in site. One plank is the jacking block and the others are put under the whells (with hi lift and hublifters) you then let the tyre down and the wood gets you on top of the mud where the deflated tyres float over the crust
AnswerID: 115795

Sponsored Links