taking tinnie north

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2386 Views:1837 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
So what are the pros and cons of a trailer system over a boat on roof system, big issue being the mountainous corrigations round the gulf.

thanks for yer replies
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allyn - Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00
with trailer on the roof system any damage incurred thru vibrations will at least not be to the hull of your tinnie. Less chance for trailer damage also I suppose. Both systems have merit
AnswerID: 8603

Reply By: OziExplorer - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00
Depends on the weight of the tinnie, and what other gear you have to carry on board. The large majority of tinnie boat trailers are c*.*.
AnswerID: 8632

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Paul,

We towed a 12ft tinny from Darwin to Perth several years ago. Mostly on bitumen but several detours and side tracks on heavily corregated tracks. Naturally, we had a load in the tinny which included all the boating/fishing gear and a few other bits'n pieces but nothing outrageous. Before leaving, we fitted bigger wheels and tyres and had to lift the mudguards.

Before we'd got to Katherine (on the bitumen) one mudguard had broken loose. We had this fixed and both guards reinforced and strengthened. By the time we got to Perth, both mudgards had come off again and were in the tinny. Other problem was the tinny rubbed on the V support of trailer where the shackle/winch is. Luckily it didn't wear thru but didn't do it the powers of good either.

The trailer quite simply was a pain in the butt. Wouldn't take it again. Thing is, most boat trailers are built to get your boat from your driveway to the nearest boat ramp. Unlike purpose built camper trailers, boat trailers don't have well thought out or designed suspension to cope with the conditions or load. In our case, we think the springs were too stiff so the trailer was shaken to bits. Broken springs and axles are also common.

If it was me, I'd leave the trailer at home. If however, you do decide to take it, make sure you know how to weld using batteries and take a temporary "fix-it" kit for your springs and axle. Hmmm...just sounds like too much trouble doesn't it.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 8643

Reply By: Tim - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00
paul, we caryy a 13ft tinnie upside down above our off road trailer, however i've seen a lot of people in remote places with the tinnie on thier roof and it seems to work well and i believe that there are some mass produced systems that you may purchase that fit straight onto your roof - regards tim
AnswerID: 8694

Sponsored Links