Eskies

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 22:09
ThreadID: 23873 Views:5725 Replies:8 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Not wanting to start a brand war. I want to buy a good esky for the back of the ute, as I use the ute to carry all sorts of stuff including firewood for home so its going to get knocked around. I have an Eva-kool fridge and like the way it performs etc. My qestion is are the softer plastic type eskies as good on the insulation side as the fiberglass Eva-kool type. As I'm worried about the ruggedness of the hard fibreglass ones, but they are usually lighter colours (white or yellow) And the soft ones seem to be darker colours which in my mind sitting in the sun will get hotter than a white one.
Hope all this makes sense.

Athol
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 23:03

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 23:03
I own 2 Coleman eskys but I have seen with my own eyes the Willow to out perform my Coleman by days.

As for the ruggedness of them both I'd say I don't have a clue. If I wanted something good for the back of a ute I'd buy a Willow and wrap it somehow in House Batts. That'd keep it intact and cold.

iMusty

AnswerID: 115798

Reply By: mattlobie - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 00:23

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 00:23
A mate of mine owns/runs a prawn farm and he uses only the UV stableised (sp?) plastic ice boxes to store his product when it's not suitable to freeze it or frieght it straight away. He has big 1000L ones which are a sky blue colour, they are out in the north qld sun and hold ice for days. He also uses 200-400L Tropical Ice Boxes (I don't think the brand is a big deal, that's just what he's able to get) again in the UV stableised plastic, these ones are orange colour. Again they're out in the sun and do the job well.

I've got a small 60L one and I've found it out performs the normal "Esky" or Willow type by a long shot. Mine's yellow and doesn't appear to attract heat at all. I think durability of the two types would be comparable.

Shop around for the best prices. Lots of places stock these now. Obviously the camping and fishing shops but I've also seen them at Supercheap and Repco. And there's a guy on ebay who auctions them pretty regularly, from memory.

matt
AnswerID: 115810

Follow Up By: Member - Athol (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 04:30

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 04:30
Thanks Matt, I couldn't remember the name but tropical is one of them. I'm thinking of getting a 50/60 lt just for keeping the medicine in that I get off Dr Toohey.

Athol
FollowupID: 371397

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 07:23

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 07:23
Athol

I agree the Evakool are a tad more efficient than the Tropicals, but if it's going in the back of a ute as you say, then there is only one answer ... Tropical.

I've had one for a while now and I'm quite happy with it, thought about an Evakool but went Troppo ... ;-)) , purely for the robustness of the unit.

Cheers
AnswerID: 115817

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 09:32

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 09:32
Couldn't agree more.

I ended up getting a Tropical 82l for camping and even with tube ice it stays really cold even when melted. They're insulated basically the same as the glass ones but apparently aren't quite as good. Something like 8 days for block ice in a glass and 6 days in a poly (Tropical).

Brands do differ though in terms of thickness of walls and whether the lid is recessed. I looked around and decided the tropical was the best IMHO.

Cheers,

Smocky.
FollowupID: 371420

Follow Up By: flappa - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:54

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:54
Also agree. I have a Waeco Icebox , and its brilliant , but , for the Back of a ute , I think the plastic ones would last longer.

Tropical are pretty good.
FollowupID: 371436

Reply By: erekka - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:00

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:00
I have a bright blue Willow which really doesn't keep that cold, especially since a lot of the ice that you buy in bags nowadays has holes in it so it melts quicker.

Has anyone injected their esky with Polyurethane foam as suggested in Post 19885? I am considering doing this but am wondering if there are any disadvantages.

erekka
AnswerID: 115843

Follow Up By: erekka - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:11

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:11
oops,
and does anyone know where to buy the injectable Polyurethane foam from? There aren't too manyoptions here in the Alice.
FollowupID: 371431

Reply By: Member - rengatt (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:06

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:06
Recently bought an eva cool (blue plastic)for a trip (4days). The night before I left I dropped a bag of ice into it and let it sit with the lid closed. Just prior to leaving took the bag of ice out and loaded it with the goodies along with frozen plastic coke bottles. The bottles were still about 75% frozen when we got back home. I also made up a cover for it out the windscreen sun protectors (Super Cheap) shiny side out which sat over the ice box at camp.

I reckon would have got another 2-3 days out of the ice. The travelling did scuff the exterior of the ice box a fair bit so I reckon I'll use the cover when travelling as well, or be a bit more careful when packing the gear in the car.

Ren
AnswerID: 115845

Reply By: Russel & Mary - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 12:39

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 12:39
Two replies in one here
First to erekka, go to your local hardware and you can buy pressure cans of expanding foam that set in a day then you can trim with a knife. A $7 can will contain enough foam to fill about 20 litres.Beware don't squirt much in a hole or inside a panel 'cause over the next 10 mins or so it will keep oozing out and expanding.

Athol, we went on a 5 day houseboat with a group back in the summer and the boat had two BIG eskies out front ( about 1200x500x500). One was evacool and other was made from coolroom 3"insulation panels. In the bottom of each we put 4 blocks of ice,then drinks then more loose ice. On day three the ice in the coolroom stuff had to be topped up from the evacool, and after the 5 days the 4 blocks in the evacool were still useable so we left them there for the next people. If I'm ever going to buy another eski, it will be Evacool. Rus.
AnswerID: 115865

Follow Up By: erekka - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 15:40

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 15:40
Thanks for that Rus,
So I guess I drill one small hole in each side and one in the lid and carefully and slowly squeeze some in.
Do you know if it works?
erekka
FollowupID: 371460

Follow Up By: flappa - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 16:00

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 16:00
Yes it does.

We also use it in a thermos so the glass doesn't break.

Its a similar concept to how they do house insulation.

Better off doing a little at a time . . . allowing it to expand and dry , then doing more.

It expands so much , its easy to get caught out.
FollowupID: 371462

Follow Up By: Russel & Mary - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 18:10

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 18:10
The stuff really works well. If you intend to make an esky, I would suggest to drill a 3/8 hole or so every 6" and as flappa said do a little at a time. If you filled up 20 litres,the outside portion will cure/dry and can still leave a sloppy centre for a long time and doesn't do a good a job.So a little at a time. Rus.
FollowupID: 371474

Reply By: ev700 - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 13:06

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 13:06
Just bought 2 X 105L Tropical Ice Boxes (CampMart but available elsewhere). Tough as and cheap enough to double up for other purposes.

I'll use them in the boat as well for seat/icebox and seat/storage. The orange colour makes them useful survival floats at sea.

I like EvaKool products and their blue ones look nicer but I don't think the lighter colour would make much difference to performance and I was after durability in rough use.
AnswerID: 115868

Follow Up By: flappa - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 13:18

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 13:18
Whats the cost difference ?
FollowupID: 371451

Follow Up By: ev700 - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 14:02

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 14:02
flappa
The yellow Icemate from EvaKool 108L is $328 which makes it about $100 dearer than Tropical 105L. The ability to keep ice is about the same, but the EvaKool product has 5 Yrs warranty (from memory) and there is a noticeable difference in the make of the product. The Tropical looks home made by comparison and the yellow Icemate seems to seal better.

EvaKool make a pale blue ice box (called IceKool?) which I believe is more budget priced. I saw them at the Brisbane Show and again they were nicer in the make of the product than a Tropical. Don't hold me to this but at the show I think there wasn't much difference in price between these two products.

I was told that the EvaKool boxes have been stood in the sun, dropped with ice in them and generally abused and came out tops.

The other reason i bought Tropical was a particular height I wanted for the icebox to serve as a seat in the boat.
FollowupID: 371452

Follow Up By: flappa - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 14:08

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 14:08
Just curious . . . tah.

I was all set to buy a Tropical , but they didn't have the size I wanted in stock , the IceKool from memory was about $30 dearer.

I ended up getting a Waeco fibreglass Icebox for the same price as the Tropical (factory 2nd).

Big Fan of the EvaKools (have one of their fridges), but value for money , hard to bet those Tropicals.

There are a few others , Downunder , and something else ??? , sold by Repco , and Auto places , but I dont know what their quality would be like.
FollowupID: 371453

Reply By: Member - Athol (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 23:42

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 23:42
Thanks for all the responses, I think I'll get a soft plastic type as I said brand dosn't matter , just have to find a lighter coloured one.

Thanks, Athol
AnswerID: 115977

Sponsored Links