condenmsation in cub drifta

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 20:43
ThreadID: 23902 Views:1953 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
We have a cub drifta 6 which I'm having problems whith excessive condesation. We have the roof vent open at night and are using the fridge on 240V but in the mornings the underside of the mattress on the dinette is wet and the hard roof and bed ends are dripping. The only thing Ive noted is that the roof of the bed ends are not canvas but are a type of vinyl????Is this normal? The van is a 1985 and is in excellent condition and as its one of the few configurations that allow you to sleep 6 & is small enough to take offroad Id like to sort this out.
Thanks
Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nudenut - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 07:48

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 07:48
ventalation certainly sounds like it the culprit
AnswerID: 115991

Reply By: tessa_51 - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 08:07

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 08:07
I agree with the nut. We had this problem with out Jayco Outback camper. The solution was to leave the side windows open a little to allow cross ventilation, particularly around the beds where you are breathing all that hot air!

Tessa
AnswerID: 115994

Reply By: bob - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 19:07

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 19:07
nudenut & Tessa
Thanks for the reply. We have tried having the windows opened @ night and it does reduce the condensation on the roof but does not eliminate it. We still have trouble with the matresses on the dinette. Is there a breathable underlay available?

Thanks again

Bob
AnswerID: 116045

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 20:32

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 20:32
We had a similar problem in our Trak Shak. Even with the windows fully open we were getting condensation under the mattress.

We took the plastic window covers, they let in the light and keep out the rain, from under the mattress where they were stored and the problem was solved.

Up on Cape York we spent ages waiting for the inside to dry out before packing each morning. Others with similar campers and less people, there ae 5 of us, did not have the same problem. I suspect that 6 sleeping in the confines of the Cub is the real cause.

Maybe some kind of forced ventilation would help. Tthat could cause other problems though, like dust entering the van when towing.

Duncs
AnswerID: 116054

Follow Up By: bob - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 17:30

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 17:30
Thanks Duncs
Am looking at mounting a small fan (similar to a computer fan) in the roof vent. This may help to create some air flow at night which might help.
Bob
FollowupID: 371713

Reply By: rossbarb - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 08:19

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 08:19
I know this will sound a stupid answer but it worked pretty well for us go to the local carpet shop and buy two pieces of carpet that will fit under the bed ends and glue them to the wood under the matress and for some reason this stops the condensation I think it is because it provides insulation to the colder air outside under the beds or something the only time it did not work was when we were camped in -8 in Armidale one winter how dumb can yoube to camp in one of those with five people in those temperatures. It wont cost much to try it it worked for us I cant remember who gave us the tip we have used it the three campervans we have had hope it works for you barb
AnswerID: 116110

Follow Up By: bob - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 17:41

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 17:41
Thanks barb
Will get some carpet and mount it on the bed ends. I was in at clark rubber the other day and they had some thin woven rubber sheeting that may help on the dining table prior to putting the mattress on it at night.
Took the family away to Barrington tops camping (before we had the van) and they complained when a bucket of water left out over night for handwashing was frozen in the morning. Dont know how cold it was but the following week they had a BIG dump of snow which closed the road ;-}
Bob
FollowupID: 371716

Sponsored Links