Diesel Additives.

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 21:13
ThreadID: 23905 Views:3088 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Just a quick report on an observation last Thursday.

I was in a Service/Pump Shop in NSW and whilst there couldn't help having a sticky beak at everything ( as you do).

Anyway there happened to be a number of glass jars with liquid in them and in some cases foul filthy stuff was floating around as well.

On asking, I was informed that these were samples of bad diesel fuel that had been removed from vehicles.

I was also told that when there were fuel problems the suspect fuel was on occassions sent for testing and the results were just astounding.

There was anything from, paint thinners, kerosene, acetone, tolulene, bio-fuel etc etc etc that had been added in large quantities to the original diesel.

The end result was that these adulterated fuels just play absolute havoc with diesel fuel systems sooner or later.

Acetone apparently 'chews' out the rubber seals in the pumps.

In essence, if you have a diesel system then you run diesel. If you have a acetone system or bio system then you run those fuels as the pumps, seals etc are designed to use such fuels.

I know its how to suck eggs stuff for most of you, however I regularly see posts on how to 'improve' things with additives, especially acetone.

If they are so good, I can't for the life of me understand why the fuel refineries don't use them.

Food for thought.

Regards

Ken Robinson
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: D-Jack - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 21:16

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 21:16
Oh no
AnswerID: 115941

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 21:23

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 21:23
By the way Ken, you don't work for an oil refinery in a cover up to prevent the reduction of fuels used and hence profit?
FollowupID: 371500

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 21:42

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 21:42
Evening D-JACK

Damn! you've 'outed' me. ROFLMAO

Oh No, far from it mate, as those who know me can attest.

I was just P I S S E D & AMAZED at the S H I T E that had been drained out of vehicle fuel tanks that was supposed to be diesel.

Not a mixture of 'stuff' with diesel in it.

I couldn't give a toss what people run their machines on actually, just thought I would pass on what I saw and was told.

Have a good one

K

FollowupID: 371505

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 23:33

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 23:33
I'll agree with everything except the use of BIODIESEL. Even the manufactuers have come around to saying that 5-20% Biodiesel will cause NO HARM (as long as it's produced correctly and not dogyied up stuff). In some european countries they are using B5 (5%) as standard out the bowser and there are many people using B100 with no ill effects (including the US Postal Service and many public transport companies). The only side effect to using BIODEISEL that has been confirmed is that it cleans all the crap out of your fuel system and can cause fuel filter blocking in the transition (as it's cleaning all the muck out). The other thing that BIODIESEL can do is to destroy rubber, rubber seals in older type pumps etc. But this is no dfifferent to the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel we are already using is most parts of Australia.
It is also my firm belief from my research into this area that the only reason that mixes higher than 20% have not been officially approved is because the oil companies and governments are crapping themselves over the possible consiequences. But hey, that part is only my own observation.
AnswerID: 115974

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (Newcastle) - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 08:50

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 08:50
Hello Jeff,
Your pretty much right on the money here.
Newcastle City Council runs all their garbage trucks on Bio-Diesel, now I have to know what percentage they use!
Damn, I'll find out and add it into this post.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 371547

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 08:53

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 08:53
Good one Jeff M..Reckon if european countries are onto B5 (5%) Biodeisel,it must be good,as they are used to a higher quality product than we are forced to buy.Take,for example,the biggest selling diesel,by far,for years over there was/is the Freelander (Landrover now I believe,under the Ford umbrella) running a high tech turbo-diesel.Until we get "real" diesel,will we ever get these fuel efficent,enviro friendlier donks over here?..Using ULSD as is supplied at most pumps,best bet is to use a diesel additive with known "Lubrication Qualities".*Try FlashLube™(50ml treats 50Ltr) I buy 1Ltr packs and use an egg-cup as measure. Web www.flashlube.com.au Also BiTron,Redex,Wynns and other trusty names.Cheap insurance.* "Lubricatesinjectors,pumps and upper cylinder area" "Exceptional lubricityfor low sulphur fuel"
FollowupID: 371548

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:12

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:12
Rockyone, ULSD already has lubricating additives in it, but there is a chemical (not sure what it is) added to it that corrodes the rubber. (Captain WA may be able to help me out here) BIODIESEL actually has more lubricating properties than standard diesel, however it is also a solvent (hence it's cleaning ablilites) and therefore doesn't do any favours to standard rubber seals etc. Engines manufactured to run on ULSD already have seals capable of withstanding it.
FollowupID: 371584

Reply By: Salty - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 00:45

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 00:45
How many times have you followed a diesel vehicle down the road whose exhaust fumes smell like burnt kero??? Makes you wonder what oil companies are up to concerning their fuel???
Regards Salty.
AnswerID: 115981

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:14

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:14
You probally have started to notice the smell of KFC and fish and chips now too! LOL

There's one Biodiesel run Mercades that I follow home some nights, BUGGER IT. I'm always bloody starving by the time I get home!! ;-) MMMMM Fish and chips.
FollowupID: 371585

Reply By: Exploder - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 20:03

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 20:03
Apparently this is not a new thing, mixing of other petroleum products into diesel have been going on for a hell of a long time. I remember some years ago now when all those truck engines were going boom from bad diesel, and large % of the products that “Lucy” has stated were found in the fuel.

Anyway I was talking about this with a family member who spent his working life in the petroleum and automotive industry, and he was not surprised what they found in the diesel. He said when he was in the petroleum game (SOME) “key word hear” of the other products would occasionally be mixed in with diesel but with a lot more precision probably.

Whether this is still common practise or just doggie servo owner’s diluting their fuel don’t know.

Oh yeah he worked for one of the BIG oil company’s,
AnswerID: 116052

Reply By: nick riviera - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 22:47

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 22:47
The Diesel engine was originaly designed to run on peanut oil, not a dirty bloody awfuly petrochemical by-product. All the way with bio diesel for me when it becomes available. The biodiesel actualy cleans/flushes out all the build up from diesel (petrochemical) hence the need for changing filters ect. when you first start running it, and it has better lubricant properties.

Please explain how Biodiesel has chewed out seals and pumps, with actual documented evidence.

If YOU HAVE to ask why fuel companies dont want us using Biodiesel and altenative energy you must be from another planet. the answer is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
AnswerID: 116084

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 01:54

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 01:54
Evening Nick

Are you related to the late Joh B-Petersen, the Qld peanut farmer.

It really doesn't matter if you are or aren't, however if you check out post 23911, in particular the URL I posted in there you will have a better insight as to the comment that Bio- Diesel chews out seals.

It is an interesting info site an just corroborates what was stated to me, and that is:

If your fuel system is set up to run bio- diesel ( and it would seem that post 1995/6 diesels are) then you will have no problems.

I'm guessing that there must be at least 1 or 2 pre 1995/6 diesels out there , that if switched to bio-diesel will have a problem or two.

As for Petroleum company $$$$ conspiracy theories, Nah!, wouldn't happen. (ROFLMAO).

Once the Govt, wakes up and slams an excise tax on Peanut, gumnut, honkey nut etc etc etc oils thats when I will believe and accept $$$$ conspiracies.

Have a good one.

K
FollowupID: 371663

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 15:58

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 15:58
Oops!

That post should read 23912
FollowupID: 371706

Reply By: pathfinder - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 13:27

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 13:27
the large quantities of additives you are talking about are likely to have been added by dodgy servos as they pay much less tax on these products. The quantity of acetone that a sensible owner would add is around 150mls/100ls - i.e. would not be detectable in a jar and would not damage rubber/plastic...
AnswerID: 116146

Sponsored Links