Unofficial report on Jiarna's 40th birthday at Oodnadatta

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 11:52
ThreadID: 23915 Views:2988 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I will leave the report to John......This was just our trip.
We left Adelaide on Friday afternoon and met Muddy Doe at Dublin at 4.45pm with the weather looking very threatening. Jiarna was running a bit late so we decided to push on to Port Wakefield and wait for him there. Well this is when it got crazy. Wind and rain hammered us for an hour whilst we waited for John.John & Anita with kids and Evan in his 60 series joined us at about 6.30pm and after a fuel top up it was on to Port Augusta. The traffic and rain was relentless all the way to Port Augusta and we finally made it about 9pm for a late fast food tea,fuel and a quick wiring fix to the 60 series. We left Port Augusta and with it the last of any rain we were to see for our trip until almost home. First night was at Lake Heart about 40kms north of Pimba.
After a windy night we woke to a magic morning. We packed up and head to Coober Pedy via a quick stop at Glendambo where i was lucky enough to find lpg for 82.5c. (most ever paid) At Coober we met Pesty and Glenda and had lunch before heading to the end of town to let tyres down before heading off to oonadatta. We picked up another vehicle to our convoy here. So our convoy was now Evan(60 series diesel) Brew (GQ Gas/petrol) Muddy Doe (TD Prado 120) Chris & pam (Subaru Forrester) Pesty (60 series diesel) and Jiarna in the 80 series diesel. Track was like a highway after earlier being closed and we got to Oodnadatta just before dark and went to the claypan to set up camp. Later on we were joined by Johns Brother and his wife and their 6 kids,his sister and her husband and their 2 kids and John's Mum. (good fire and chat)
Next day was party day but we had still not seen the town so we drove into OOdna (about 4kms) via a play in the sand dunes and then a play in some mud. Spent most of the morning getting guided tour of entire town by John before driving out of town on a wood hunt. We returned to camp and were joined by Geoffrey, an aboriginie who had seemed to be adopted by John and Anita during their 2 years at Oodnadatta. Unfortunately the oldest Elder in town had passed away during the night so the town was in mourning and many of the aboriginies John had hoped would come to the party did not come. Whilst the camp ovens were cooking Muddy and I went playing in the sand where Pesty had earlier been having fun. Camp oven cook up was fantastic.(goat,mutton,roo,chick casserole,turkey and vegies and then some damper) Great party.
Monday morning was when we all went our seperate ways. Some head for home.John,Evan and Chris's cars went north to Dalhousie and Muddy,Pesty and I headed south to William Creek.Once again road was pretty good afetr being closed with only a few puddles for Muddy to paint the Prado. We spent Monday night at William creek and had a meal at the pub and a much needed shower.
Tuesday it was off to Coward springs,Curdimurka and down the borefield road to roxby,woomera and our last nights camp approx 140kms north of Port Augusta. Pesty and Glenda left us here after tea and we enjoyed a beer and a red around our last fire.
We were up very early Wednesday and off to Port Augusta for McDonalds Brekkie. We were home by 1pm and did not strike rain until Lower Light.

On the whole the roads were very good and and the price of fuel was a max of 1.52 at william creek and 1.45 for ulp. Hope i did not bore anyone too much.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nudenut - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:13

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:13
certainly not bored, good to see all had fun and no drama's
AnswerID: 116015

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:32

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:32
Sounds like it was a lot of fun to be had by all, and am sorry it didn't fit in here. So many South Aussies too, could have been fun to be amongst them.
AnswerID: 116016

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 13:16

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 13:16
Hi John...the Nissan won the sand hill challenge although pesty will tell you it was only because he made the track and Muddy will say he had the wrong gear first time :) lol
FollowupID: 371606

Reply By: Member Eric - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 17:42

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 17:42
i think you made a mistake in your comments Brew. The word you were looking for is ANXIOUS. And yes , you just made my 8 sleeps to go even longer lol
AnswerID: 116035

Sponsored Links