Rattly Patrol

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 15:25
ThreadID: 23917 Views:1958 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,

I have a 2003 GU Patrol with a lift and am running 35 inch tyres, after every time I go out four wheel driving I come back with more rattles in my car, they are ones that I have no idea where there coming from, mainly the rear.

Is this a known thing for patrols, to be rattle and noisy?

Because I think I chose the wrong car because I hate rattles and noises
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 16:24

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 16:24
G'day Brent,

I have only read one other post on this subject so it doesn't seem to be a major subject/problem. I have a 98 GU with over 200,000 on it and have only one rattle ( more an intermitant vibration ) under the dash, and that only started after it came back from having remote entry/alarm fitted. Just came back from doing some pretty rough roads up north, battle camp, lakefield, cape melville, maytown etc. and have had no new ones develop, so mine seems fine, not sure about others.
Hope you manage to trace and eliminate them, nothing worse than rattles, especially in a modern car. Good luck.

Avagoodn
Pezza
AnswerID: 116030

Reply By: mick - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 17:05

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 17:05
Brent,

I have had a rattle coming from the rear of the vehicle, it ended up being the number plate, fixed by the dealer by simply wedgeing a thin strip of foam underneath, I hope thats all it is

Mick
AnswerID: 116032

Follow Up By: Brent.n - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 21:53

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 21:53
Hi Mick,

wish it was that easy, nissan have tryed that one already
FollowupID: 371644

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 20:38

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 20:38
Brent,

My GQ had a truck load of rattles. Nothing big just lots of little ones. I solved the worst one almost by accident.

A change of tyre size meant that the spare was rubbing against the paint on the back door. I packed it out with a piece of inertube rubber over the spare wheel carrier. The spare was no longer rubbing on the door and the bigggest rattle went away too. I had previously checked the spare was tight on more than one occasion and it seemed to be but the rubber stopped the rattle. Cost me nothing but a bit of time to do.

Hope this helps
Duncs
AnswerID: 116055

Reply By: Member - Nissan Gnome - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 21:18

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 21:18
Brent, make sure it is not the roof lining coming adrift. I had the entire roof lining replaced by the dealer under warranty and was advised it had been a problem with a batch of 03 GU patrols. The rattle and low down drumming noise nearly sent me nuts cos we couldn't find what it was. We finally located it by sitting in the back seat and pushing up the roof lining.

Good luck they are a pain in the @#$%^.

Mac
AnswerID: 116067

Follow Up By: Brent.n - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 21:51

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 21:51
Mac

Nissan did that to my car just a few months ago, it is different ones now
FollowupID: 371643

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 00:33

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 00:33
My 2000 build 3.0 GU has 3 rattles that appear at different times. The most annoyinng is something under the centre console which rattles at idle. The second sounds like a spanner tapping on the side of a shock absorber. I've checked all the shocks and stearing damper and can't figure it out. (PS. if you do this, don't do it after driving on a rough track, those shockies get bloody hot. OUCH !! )

The third only appears over 90 K's and I discovered on the weekend that the plastic protecting the fuel filler, under the right rear wheel arch has partly come adrift and flaps around.

Yes, Patrols do get rattles a bit earlier than cruisers, many people will tell you that. But better diffs and gearbox's make up for that.

Cheers,

Muzz
AnswerID: 116096

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 22:09

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 22:09
I just remembered this, heard it years ago and it may even be a bit of a myth.

Bloke bought a brand new Holden wagon and proudly took it home to show off to the friends and neighbours. On the way he noticed a rattle coming from the back. He had a quick look but didn't find anything so he mentioned it to the dealer on the next visit.

The dealer checked it out but to no avail. Every service, he mentioned the rattle and every service the dealer could not find anything. He was going nuts. He had the kids riding in the back with their ears to the floor. It was definately comning from under the luggage area. Fuel tank was properly mounted, all the suspension was tight, coouldn't find a thing.

Then one day it happened, a flat tyre. Out comes the spare, as he gets it out he drops it ont the ground and guess what? It rattles.

Turns out there was a spanner inside the tyre. Had been there since it left the factory.

Your local tyre man hasn't lost any spanners lately????

Probably not.

Duncs.
AnswerID: 116206

Sponsored Links