THIRSTY PETROL PATROLS

Submitted: Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2392 Views:3292 Replies:12 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
CAN ANYBODY SUGEST HOW I CAN GET MORE KILOMETERS OUT OF MY THIRSTY 91GQ PATROL AT THE MOMENT I GET ABOUT 240 KILOMETER
OF A 60 LITRE TANK
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00
Robert, The power and charisma of a petrol soon wans when you pull up at the bowser, get a turbo diesel. More grunt than the xmas ham, and right sort of economy. Regards...
AnswerID: 8652

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser1 - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

Or a long-range tank......... :)
FollowupID: 4226

Reply By: colin - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

extractors,2.5 inch pipeand muffler, and finer air filters, plus a good tune.Col
AnswerID: 8659

Reply By: kezza - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

Thats just a bit much for a 4.2 lit petrol yet almost impossible for the 3 lit motor(on the bitumen). Should get 24 - 17 lit/100km from the 4.2 lit and 22- 12lit/100km for the 3 lit motor personally I liked the 3lit donk because if you nursed it it got good economy but if you thrashed it it would outperform the bigger donk for the same fuel economy - very underrated and misunderstood motor the 3 lit.
Try a tune up,check the carby and air filter, get some extractors and a 50-50 mix of ulp and premium.

good luck
Kez
AnswerID: 8682

Follow Up By: Kezza - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

Mind you if you only paid $10,000 for the GQ youve gotta spend a lot of extra money ($30-40,000 to buy and $60-80 every 5000klms on oil and filters)on a flash new diesel to save a few bucks on fuel. Lets look at the BIG picture here!!!
Given that its only about an extra $500-800 per year extra on fuel for the cheap GQ - Id just enjoy the fact that youve already saved thousands and accept that any big 4wds just LOVE fuel. Hey you are pushing around a 3 tonne truck chassis you just cant expect to get over 20MPG when some family cars are lucky to get 25 mpg

Just a different perspective
Kezza
FollowupID: 4236

Follow Up By: Robert - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00
Keeza,

I think you'll find a GQ weighs around 2.1 tonnes not 3 tonnes.
That's only just under half a tonne more than an AU Falcon or twice the weight of a XC Holden Barina.
The difference in fuel consumption as compared to a car is more to do with an engine/gearing designed to perform offroad.

FollowupID: 4241

Follow Up By: Kezza - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00

Yeah robert I know the weight of a patrol and the reasons for its fuel consumption but if you care to read what I said is that the patrol is actually built on a 3 ton truck chassis and is therefore pushing around a 3 tonne truck chassis - by the time a patrol has 3-5 people a gutful of fuel and water recovery gear and suppliesetc etc there is very little change out of 3 tonnes - that is unless of course its a Toorak tractor then it may weight 2.1 tonnes - then if you complain about fuel consumption around town and the vehicle is not working - what can I say.
the ever practical
Kezzaa
FollowupID: 4252

Follow Up By: Robert - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00
Kezza,

Not sure what you're on about! I'm not the Robert that posted the original question and I was pointing out that you are given people the wrong impression, that being the Patrol is an extremely heavy vehicle. There's a big difference between 3 as compared to 2.1 tonnes, remember the weight factor is something that the anti 4wd brigade carry on about. As I pointed out the GQ is only twice the weight of a tiny Holden Barina.

In regards to the GQ, I actually own a 91 petrol LWB GQ and totally disagree with Bob Y comment:

"The power and charisma of a petrol soon wans when you pull up at the bowser, get a turbo diesel"

After owning one now for several years I have found totally opposite, in fact the more I use this vehicle both onroad and especially offroad the more impressed I am with it's performance, and when I think about this performance and where it has taken us the fuel it uses is quite acceptable.
It's the actually cost per litre that we all pay that I don't appreciate. Everyone has his or her own preference, for me Diesel's have no interest!
FollowupID: 4271

Reply By: Red Rover - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00

Robert,
Power always comes at a cost. I have a 90 model petrol maverick. Lots more than the 86 Turbo Mk I have, even thought the turbo diesel has been rebuilt, runs 15 PSI Boost, 2.5 exhaust etc. Even a mate of mine with a 91 Ti T/D that pumps out 165hp at rear wheels and 900 FT/LB of torque is somewhat better on power than the TB42 petrol although different in the type of power. My point is to get a diesel to go like a petrol you have to spend quite a bit, particulary if u have to add a turbo, tune it etc. From your calulations you r getting 4 kms per litre. SHOCKING. I get around 5.5-6 kms per litre. Std tank is 90 litre. U say 60 litre. Is that the sub tank and does yours have gas as well. Mine runs straight ULP, 33 BFG's and has an sub tank as well. I have done 2 desert crossings averaging around 5 kms per litre. What tyres do you run and what diff ratios have u got? Mine std was 3.9 and it chewed the fuel. 4.3 diffs made quite a difference. No extractors yet, however I had the carby rebuilt and electronic ignition. If u have points, change it to a pirahana kit, it will stay tuned better for longer. Hope it helps and go the petrol power! Great on the dunes on the french line.
Red Rover
AnswerID: 8718

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00

I get 500-600 km from the 95 litre tank on my 95 GQ ST3 Petrol (3.0 litre carby).

I've got extractors, 2.5" exhaust, hiclone (helped more with power than economy), and use PULP.

Biggest improvement to ecomony came when I got the vacuum advance fixed in the dizzy.
AnswerID: 8732

Follow Up By: Member - Nigel - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00

forgot to mention - I use a K&N air filter too.
FollowupID: 4264

Reply By: Robert - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00

Robert,

You didn't say whether it's an auto or manual? Also since you say it has a 60-litre tank I assume it must be on gas. Before I bought my vehicle all the vehicles I drove on petrol/gas were lacking in performance as compared to just petrol only. It may have just been the vehicles themselves rather than them being on gas, but I assume that a vehicle on petrol/gas has to have a compromise in regard to tuning so that it runs on both petrol and gas?
I own a GQ manual LWB (petrol only) which when I first purchased was getting the same dismal fuel consumption as you state. Two things have improved my fuel consumption:
1. When taking off from standing starts I use 2nd gear not 1st gear unless I am on a steep incline or towing /carrying heavy loads.
2. I Make sure that all gear changes are done when the tacho is in the recommended rev range, rather than changing up earlier to avoid revving the engine in the belief that your going to save fuel.

Hope this helps
AnswerID: 8741

Follow Up By: Robert - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00

Forgot to mention that my vehicle was fitted with a FinerFilter when purchased. I replaced this with a paper element filter and can't say I noticed any difference in performance or ecomomy between the two.
FollowupID: 4274

Reply By: Grazza - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00

I gotta say...I liked Kezza's response. My GQ cost me $10,000 cash, just as good as a new one with no monthly repayments, no expensive services to keep warranty, no worries about scratches and dings...yep I pay a bit extra for fuel but the overall savings are HEAPS more than anyone with a new model turbo diesal. With extractors and 3 inch exhaust, front and rear diff locks and 33 inch muddies, she still goes off road with absolutely no hesitation, tackles long range touring (with a bit of extra thought about fuel) with no problems and jumps off the line at the lights....I reckon it will be a long time before I would even consider getting into huge debt to "upgrade" to a newer model...give me my thirsty old petrol!!!

Just another way of thinking...
Cheers
Grazza
AnswerID: 8747

Reply By: kezza - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00

I wouldnt mind hearing from the original robert re the questions posed.

Yeay Grazza

thanks -

To the other robert - (I think you need to do more reading between the lines when you read my stuff)

you still missed my point, I dont care what a holden barina weighs (you compare barinas with a patrol and yet you cant figure where Im comiing from???? ) I dont care right now what the anti 4wd lobby says either.

The patrol is built on a 3 tonne truck chassis thats a fact. It is heavier than a car chassis or subframe thats a fact. The patrol IS a heavy vehicle because its designed to do a hard job carrying a lot of weight. It rarely spends any time at its unlaiden weight mine weighed around 2.4tonnes last time I ran it over the weighbridge and that was my standard fit out (no passengers and their gear).

A barina??????
If you start comparing barinas to GQ patrols you will confuse far more people than I ever will. Because there is NO comparison worth discussing . I also was a professional driver for 10 yrs (always will be too) .
In my experienced opinion the performance,handling, braking and build/weight etc of the barina cannot be compared to a small truck.

- If you need to defend the unlaiden weight and fuel consumption of a Patrol then you have different agendas to me and thats ok - just dont cloud the issues of the original question and my answer.

To the forum in general -

All I have to add is that yes changing the gearing will improve fuel consumption but no good in the bush - but ok in town

Again Toorak tractor vs working ORV.
If the thing spends little or no time in the bush Why have it?

I notice lots of issues regarding the compromises to be made by having a dedicated offroader (fuel consumption, tyres, parts accessories etc).
Fact is what does it do? Whats important to you?. If you want good fuel consumption buy a commodore, I really got a kick out of a post a few months back - people were having winge because they cant get an offroad tyre that does 200kph and still goes rockhopping? Cant have everything I guess.

Admittedly roberts patrol is too thirsty I dont think we have all the info as yet. ie, Is it gas? 60 or 95 lit tank? etc etc

I like the GQ 3lit petrol motor for reasons expressed in past posts of mine (I hate repeating stuff) it is very economical yet when worked to it powerband quite high performance.

cheers
kezza
AnswerID: 8789

Follow Up By: Robert - Thursday, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:00
Gee Kezza do you have a chip on your shoulder or just got out of the wrong side of the bed lately?

You didn't say in your first post that the 3 tonne weight was a fully loaded vehicle!

And I didn't mention anything about comparing the handling, performance or build etc of a Patrol to a Barina. I was simply pointing out that the Patrol is only twice the weight of the Barina and therefore not the MONSTER TRUCK that you are maybe suggesting it is.

I did point out in my post that the vehicle is designed to perform offroad (Which also includes being able to carry/tow weight) and therefore fuel consumption is due more to it's designed purpose rather than it's actual weight. Also I don't know about your Patrol Kezza but my Patrol's fuel consumption isn't really affected that much when carrying extra weight.

I'm sure the Robert who posted the question is just as concerned about fuel consumption of his vehicle when it's unladen as compared to carrying a load.
After all, his question didn't ask about fuel consumption of a fully laden vehicle did it!

FollowupID: 4317

Follow Up By: Robert - Thursday, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:00

Something I should have added:

Kezza I know in your first post although you didn't actually say the Patrol weighed 3 tonnes you were however implying that the Patrol is a very heavy truck like vehicle. And with the unclear way in which you worded your post you are certainly giving people the impression that a Patrol weighs 3 tonnes. I think you obviously realised this yourself and therefore made the following statement in your next post to cover yourself:

"by the time a patrol has 3-5 people a gutful of fuel and water recovery gear and suppliesetc etc there is very little change out of 3 tonnes"

FollowupID: 4319

Follow Up By: Kezza - Thursday, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:00

Robert you've made a big thing out of nothing! Your comprehension of what I said and assumptions of why I said things astound me.

If you've got a missus you must driver her insane with this petty sort of stuff - get a life.

Lets drop it for the rest of the folk who are looking for a good read.

kes
FollowupID: 4341

Follow Up By: Robert - Friday, Nov 22, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 22, 2002 at 01:00
Kezza,

Sorry if I've upset you. Have a good weekend.
FollowupID: 4345

Reply By: Red Rover - Thursday, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:00

Robert,
I also meant to say that a cheap investment in a ecomony vacum guage is worth while. You will be surprised what a lead foot you might have!
Red Rover
AnswerID: 8811

Reply By: tour boy - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00
You should have just bought a toyota!!!
AnswerID: 10481

Follow Up By: Truckster - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Gee your quick.....
FollowupID: 5517

Reply By: tour boy - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Truckster, Only found the site yesterday.
talk to you later.
AnswerID: 10488

Reply By: Murri - Saturday, Jan 18, 2003 at 16:39

Saturday, Jan 18, 2003 at 16:39
Robert,

I put a 350 Holley on my 4.2 litre petrol DX Patrol and I get roughly 10L/100 km give or take a litre or two . It's far better than the standard carby but there is a bit of suffing around eg. new accellerator cable and a adaptor plate which I got made at a foundry.

Well worth while and cheap, Holley $350 , cable $60 , plate $60.

Do it your self easy and cheap

P.S Thats with no towing or offroad yet
AnswerID: 11488

Sponsored Links