Noise in Transmission after clutch replacement

Submitted: Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 12:42
ThreadID: 23937 Views:11053 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Good day all

I was hoping I can pick some brains with respect to a noise that has developed in the old girl since the clutch was done a few weeks ago.

The old girl is a '97 80 Series Landcruiser 1HD-FT with a H151 gearbox with about 250 000 k's on the clock now.

I had a Daiken clutch fitted a few weeks ago, the vehicle was quiet with no noise in the transmission area when it went in. As the car is new and I gave it a good going over when I bought it, I have been aware of most of the noises so far. I changed the clutch because the car had 238 000 k's on and it had started to smell a bit on a trip in soft sand. Good thing too as the clutch was nearing the end with many hot-spots on the pressure plate.

A Daiken clutch was put in. I was assured that it was the same as the genuine Toyota clutch (which is also supposed to be a Daiken). All was good for a week, then a squeak developed when the car was idling with the clutch out.

I took it back and they sprayed a bit of lube in to quieten it down. (I think the libe job should have been done with the box out - but anyway). This sorted it out for another week, then the squek returned.

When I got the car back the second time I questioned the mechanic about it being noisier than when I took it in. He claimed it to be the fact that I had gotten used to the squeak. (I told him again that it was noisier than before - he said that they had done nothing but the clutch. - What can I say)

The squeak has now developed into a rumble and has proven that I was not wrong to question the noise in the first place.

Has anybody experienced this as I have read some posts in the past advising to only use Genuine clutches on these models and that some pirate part clutch kits are noisy.

Is it the clutch or has the input shaft bearing been damaged (or just given up now). I find it hard to believe that the car can go in good and come out like this.

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers

80Cruiser

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 12:54

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 12:54
It could just be the thrust race... Mitsubishi Tritons are renound for the noise this bearing makes when idling with the clutch out. As a younger lad, I went through my share of clutches in the old Falcon and I remember that some thrust races were noisey and some were quiet...

You could take it to a couple of tranny places and see what they think, then go back to you fella with the other opinions if you are still concerned.
AnswerID: 116137

Reply By: 80Cruiser - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 13:14

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 13:14
Hi Blue

I would have thought that it would be noisy with the clutch pedal pressed in aswell then. When the pedal is in, the thrust bearing is turning at whatever speed the engine is at.

I am going to pull the box out this evening and see if I can find anything.
AnswerID: 116143

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 13:49

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 13:49
80Cruiser,
mine is quiet with the pedal pushed in and rattly as hell with it out. When the pedal is depressed, more load is placed on the bearing as it is forced against the pressure plate springs, this takes the rattle out of it... At least this has been my experience.

Hope it turnes out to be a simple thing, gearboxes can be a right pain to work on if you're not sure what you're doing(speaking from experience)

Good luck
Blue
FollowupID: 371692

Reply By: Major 63 - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 13:23

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 13:23
Hi, with the clutch engaged and the transmission in neutral the only bearings that are rotating are the spigot in the flywheel, the thrust race as already mentioned and the transmission input shaft bearing. If the clutch is replaced, I always make it a practice to replace the thrust and the spigot bearings regardless. it saves alot of hassles later on ie while you have it apart why not replace a $30.00 bearing.

It is pretty hard to imagine the transmission bearing failing after a simple refit, i woyuld be first checking the spigot and thrust bearings and then check the clutch alignment any amount off will put sideways stress on the spigot.

i have fitted two non-genuine clutches to my 60 series with no problems other than lifting that transmission in and out. Daiken are a quality brand.

Hope this helps.
Major 63
AnswerID: 116145

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 14:42

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 14:42
80Cruiser,

The noise is with the clutch out and the transmission in neutral - I presume the noise goes away with light pressure on the clutch.

If this is so, the "squeak" you mention is caused by the release bearing rubbing on the fingers of the diaphragm spring. This is a common thing that happens on Toyotas as they wear. A groove wears into those fingers, and the release bearing chatters as it's always in slight contact with the groove (Toyotas don't have clutch free play). When you touch the clutch pedal lightly, the chatter stops.

It should NEVER do that after a clutch repair - your mechanic may have been a bit slack.

A minimum clutch repair should be brand new clutch plate/ pressure plate/ diaphragm spring/ release bearing and a new spigot bearing in the flywheel. The flywheel face needs to be machined. Did they do all this?? In addition, a smear of grease is placed on the front gearbox sleeve and in the diaphragm spring fingers for all to work smoothly.

So for you to have that noise, I'd suggest that either the diaphragm spring was NOT replaced, and certainly no smear of grease was used. The mechanic has sprayed some spray grease thru the clutch fork rubber to shut it up temporarily, and as you know, it will come back.

You are being given the run around. There is no alternative than having the mechanic pull the box out again and fix the clutch properly.

My only caveats here are that if the noise is still present with light clutch pressure and goes away only when the clutch is fully engaged, then it may be coming from the layshaft or bearings in the transmission. The 3rd possibility is that the clutch centre plate can get damaged if the transmission is allowed to "hang" during reinstallation.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 116156

Reply By: 80scruiser - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 21:36

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 21:36
Gday 80cruiser ( such as similar name)
I agree with Phil and futher to him I also put a smear of Moly (grey) grease on the release fork pivot pin.

I also own a diesel 80 and installed a Daiken clutch. It lasted 12 months as the noise became unbearable. I then installed a genuine Toyota clutch and although the noise is still there, it is alot better.

The Daiken and Toyota are different. The daiken has only 3 damper springs in the clutch plate and the Toyota one has 4 springs with rubber bushes on the inside of these springs.

My toytoa one has been in for about 15 000 km now and was really quiet once installed but has got noisier over time but nowhere near what it was. With the Daiken I couldn't sit with the gearbox in neutral and foot off the clutch as the gearbox sounded as though it was going to fall out.

I recommend to put a toyota one in and send Daiken an invoice. They paid mine including labour.

Best of luck
AnswerID: 116197

Sponsored Links