Generator

Submitted: Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 22:18
ThreadID: 23951 Views:6257 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I just purchased a 1000w generator (Little power plus), It looks like the GMC & the Scorpian 800w as they probably all come from Yamaha.
But the question is, if it is rated at a 1000w can I just run my Engle fridge without glazing the bore from underloading the motor as I have read in other forums. Does it have a power regulator on it ???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve West - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 00:24

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 00:24
Hi cliffy, earlier this year early jan to be precise i was going to run me 39 lt engle off me mates gmc but before i did i contacted engle and asked if it was okay to run the engle off 240 volt direct from genny. Answer was no way , if you have a inverter type genny like the honda iu 10 yes but with the basic genny's no , apparently it has somthing to do with the type of current produced, a standard genny is fine for the likes of drills and power tools etc but not lap tops and fridges which require an ac current which is closer to what you get at home.
If you connect a battery charger to the genny and leave the fridge on 12 volts thats fine as the battery charger and battery regulates the current. I sugest a phone call to Engle and tell them exactly what kind of genny and model fridge you have and ask them what they think. And let us know what they say just incase i've been given wrong information.
Regards Steve West.
AnswerID: 116221

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 08:52

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 08:52
I think the person you spoke to at Engle was being excessively over-cautious.

I have a GMC $98 generator on which I did a comprehensive electrical analysis for this forum about one year ago (check the archives) and, from memory it's voltage output and frequency stabilisation was very good. I recall there was a bit of a glitch in sine wave purity but not enough to be a real concern.

The only real problem you will have with any small generator is when you connect or disconnect any load which represents (say) 20% or more of the generators maximum load, under that circumstance the motor will briefly speed up or slow down until it can compensate for the changed load condition, that change in speed will cause the frequency to go out of lock (which won't worry most things) and it will cause the output voltage to change from 240V but probably not by a lot.

As the Engle _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx 50W? it is only 5% of the OPs 1KW generator and I suspect he'll hardly hear a change of engine note as it cuts in and out. Unless Engle are prepared to put in writing that their fridges are so delicate as not to be able to be driven from small generators I would have no hesitation in running one from my $98 GMC and given that the 240V to 12V power supply on the Engle is, almost certainly, of a switch mode type and they can be fed with almost anything!

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 371783

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 10:55

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 10:55
Cliffy,

I was going to suggest that Engel may think their fridges are sensitive to frequency changes.

From my experience with generators, the frequency is usually set at 52-53 hertz(no-load), and as the load builds up, the frequency drops back to the desired 50Hz. Not sure about these small, cheap units, but that's the case with the Hino Gensets, one of which is driving this computer, as I type.

Because the Hertz are never exactly @50, things like electric clocks are never accurate. But don't know if this effects Engels. Could be "they" are concerned the fridge may be subjected to extreme fluctuations.

If you can keep load constant on genny, then give it go.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 116235

Reply By: kimprado - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 15:05

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 15:05
Hi Cliffy,
I have a Yamaha EF 600 generator which is now over 20 years old. i've run my Engel fridge over long periods of time and never had a problem. I might add however, the generator has been regularly serviced.
Regards
Kim
AnswerID: 116245

Reply By: angler - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 21:18

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 21:18
I also have one of those $97.000 gennies. I did a bit of a test the other day and took some pics of the output.
Check it at www.bycompass.com and select of interest then the gennie page.
The output is in fact a bit dirty but not all that much, if the engel fails then it doesn't say much for engel. Also the engel was initially made for 60 hertz so a change in frequency shouldn't worry it too much.
AnswerID: 116289

Reply By: angler - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 21:19

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 21:19
I also have one of those $97.00 gennies. I did a bit of a test the other day and took some pics of the output.
Check it at www.bycompass.com and select of interest then the gennie page.
The output is in fact a bit dirty but not all that much, if the engel fails then it doesn't say much for engel. Also the engel was initially made for 60 hertz so a change in frequency shouldn't worry it too much.
AnswerID: 116290

Reply By: cliffy1 - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 21:47

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 21:47
Thankyou for all your responses in relation to my question.
More the answer I was looking for was will it affect the bore (glazing) on the generator
by underloading it. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Cheers: CLIFFY1
AnswerID: 116296

Follow Up By: viz - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 22:50

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 22:50
Not sure if a 2 stroke will have that problem - more of a diesel problem maybe; however this is the advice that I have received for my $99 gennie:

Valvoline Victor Oil 150 mm to 5 litres of Mobile LRP and it will last for 2500 hours + (not sure about the LRP these days - not available...)

However there is one proviso - you MUST drain the carby after use, and drain the tank and carby if putting away for any length of time.

I also pull the motor through a couple of strokes each month or so to keep the bore lubed.

This again has not answered your question directly, however in all the questions that I asked before purchase no mention of bore glaze due to underloading was mentioned.

/viz
FollowupID: 371850

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 17:00

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 17:00
viz - howdy :)

I just bought one of the $98 GMC 750 watt jobbies - raced it home and powered it all up. I'll have to say that I'm impressed. It definitely works as advertised and puts out about 3.1 amps at 14.4 volts - ideal for re-charging my camper's battery during the day. It runs my power tools without complaining either (500w drills, etc). Fantastic! Will be great on my farm.

How many hours have you (or anyone else here on the forum) had yours going for now?

I have to say that I like GMC and other Chinese companies offering mu sub-$100 USEFUL tools. Keep them coming!
FollowupID: 371890

Follow Up By: viz - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 18:59

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 18:59
Just remember that if you are going to run a fridge *directly* of it, put a battery in between, which in turn is being run off a battery charger (rather than the 12 volt socket). Cleaner power, but more importantly the start-up current of the fridge can well exceed the rated power of the generator and can damage both generator and fridge.

I have only run mine for a couple of ours at the moment - both on fridge and electrical tools. Bought it for a job.

/viz
FollowupID: 371910

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 19:04

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 19:04
Thanks viz -

That's exactly what I was going to do. Use it to run a charger which in turn charges the battery. From here we'd go with the PSW 500W inverter to run the camper (laptop, phone, lights, etc).
FollowupID: 371914

Follow Up By: viz - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 19:44

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 19:44
Ooops - follow up post from the next section should have come here... sorry :)

Just to add - I understand (and someone correct me if wrong) that the Engels type swing motor in an Engels-type-fridge can momentarily draw 30 amps on start up. I run a Quirks Autofridge which has a Engels-type-compressor and I have a 30 amp auto-resettable circuit breaker in between - never trips it. So it must be *very* momentary I guess.

Another comes to mind - the motor in my fridge must have some sort of soft-start circuit in it - a large-ish capacitor at least. Gives you a lovely tingle if you put your fingers over the plug contacts :) but if you do short it out somehow (with the suppplied plug it is a little too easy to do) you will trip the circuit breaker, even if the fridge is turned off. Gonna change that plug I think...

/viz
FollowupID: 371922

Reply By: cliffy1 - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 00:19

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 00:19
Thankyou Viz for that information, I suppose it won't hurt to plug in an extra spotty during the day to keep the load on the genny just in case. I run 50 parts unleaded to 1 part 2 stroke oil going off the GMC manual for it's 800w generator.
I shall give her a few starts over winter to keep the bore lubed.
AnswerID: 116316

Follow Up By: viz - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 19:29

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 19:29
Apparantly those gennies are based on the Robin generator (American?) - the Chinese copied it. The Robins themselves had a great reputation - the four strokes regarded even better than the Hondas, though don't quote me on it! :)

The mixture I use is 33:1, rather than the 50:1 in the manual. This was recommended to me as the ratio to use. Bit smokier, but apparantly will contribute to longer life...

Remember *drain* that carby when you have finished (i.e. turn the fuel off and let the engine run the carby dry) . Apparantly a carb clean and part replacement cost way more than the original cost of the gennie! :)

/viz
FollowupID: 371918

Sponsored Links