Radiator Leak

Submitted: Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2399 Views:9176 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day All,

Thanks for the previous feedback.

My Land Cruiser has developed a small hair-line crack in the upper tank of the radiator.

Is there any products on the market which can be used to repair this problem. Or, does the tank need replacment?

Thanking you all.

Cheer's,

Warren

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00
Warren, What model Toyota, Warren? If the top tank has a crack in it, then it mightn't be long before the bottom tank develops a leak too, with very expensive results. The cost of an engine rebuild will far exceed the cost of a new Ratrad or genuine radiator, not too mention the possible inconvenience to you and family, maybe out in the sticks, somewhere remote. A tin of pepper poured into radiator, and leave cap on loosely, will get you home, as long as you have the water to refill it. regards....
AnswerID: 8662

Follow Up By: Member - Warren - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Bob,

It's a 1993 Petrol motor wagon,

Regards,
Warren
FollowupID: 4224

Reply By: OziExplorer - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

Warren your radiator is one of the fundamental parts of the engine required to operate correctly. You need to get the radiator *properly* repaired by a radiator place. While they are repairing/replacing the top tank, they will also check out the core and clean and rod if necessary, and if in poor condition will give you the bad news on the cost of a core replacement. You cannot accept or take second best on a radiator as they the work they do will ensure they are always the weakest link.

There is little appreciation for the substantial amount of work the radiator does, and they are not looked after as well as they deserve. For example few change all their fluids in their vehicles every 15 to 18 months max, as many of these fluids go acid (like vinegar) after this time. Yes, this is what happens to ethylene glycol coolant.

Sure, I could tell you to go and get some Bostik Titan Bond which would guarantee fix your leak - but is that leak your only issue with your radiator. Somehow, I don't think so. You need to get your radiator properly and correctly repaired.

PS: If your radiator has developed a crack/leak/split in the top tank near the top radiator hose, it sounds like somebody (read fool) has removed the thermostat and the water flow is constantly to fast.
AnswerID: 8668

Thanks for the advice and info, I will do the right thing and get it checked properly.

Cheer's

Warren
FollowupID: 4229

Reply By: Bob Y. - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

Warren, wondered about the model, as some of later tojo's have plastic/poly top & bottom tanks. If it were a brass tank, I'd suggest it may be getting brittle, and more cracks may follow. Think the plastic tanks only clip on and may be easier to replace, for a professional that is. Some aftermarket radiators feature heavy duty cores, and are more efficient at cooling. With hot weather on the way, I'd be buying a new one if you can't get that one reconditioned. Good luck...
PS. Knead-It, Minute Mend or Epoxy Ribbon are handy for quick fixes, especially if your soldering skills have lapsed since high school, or Tech!
AnswerID: 8675

Thanks for the advice, it is plastic. But I will get it checked and replaced by a professional.

Cheer's

Warren
FollowupID: 4230

Reply By: plexus - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

I agree with replacing defective components as the best course of action, however, I'll swear by Goss's "Chemiweld" which is the only thing that I've found that REALLY does work. I think it's mandatory to carry a bottle of this in the bush.
AnswerID: 8676

Reply By: kezza - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

Ill do everybody here a favour and let you know about a product I found a couple of years ago that fixed a head gasket leak for me for far longer than I thought physically possible. Its cheap easy to use - unlike chemiweld, best of all you just throw it in the radiator - coolant and all and it fixes some bad leaks.

Its called

"Scotts Super Seal - Radiator Stop Leak and Rust Inhibitor"

Its in a small pale blue container with a white lid and red writing, it has a sandy like consistency.

As in the saying "you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink"
Im sure many people have their own favourites and will scoff at this one - I suggest everybody have a container in their kit - if you can find it, Ive only been able to get it in country Qld so far. (Cunninghams Gap and Bowen are the only places Ive stumbled across it).

I always buy the 4-6 containes on the shelf and keep one for me and sell/give to family and friends.
Most Ive paid so far for it is $5.00 ea
Of course you fix things properly once home but this will save your bacon in the bush every time you spring a leak.
keep an eye out for it - If anybody knows anything about it Please reply.

cheers

Kezzaa

Oh and what would I know?
(Ex truckie and bush mechanic among other things)
AnswerID: 8681

Reply By: Member - Warren - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00
Thank's All for your comments, yes it's a plastic/alloy radiator.

I have chosen an after market new brass unit from NatRad and it now runs very well, in fact I think it runs a little cooler.

Cheer's

Warren
AnswerID: 8775

Sponsored Links