WA Deserts and Kimberley night temperature

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 18:43
ThreadID: 24000 Views:2109 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Before we leave to Oz, i'm struggling with luggage weight. Cathy wants to take a lot of warm clothes, because she was told it can be quite cold in the night in the regions we are travelling in (Kimberley, Mount Augustus, GCRor Gunbarrel, Red Center, Tanami.

How are the temperaures actually is this countries in August ?? I am a bit more concerned about daytime temperatures. How much water per person and per day ??

Cheers.

Eric + Cathy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 19:04

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 19:04
Just got back from the Kimberly region and can say that at Drysdale River Station it was 6 deg o/nite one night.
Down the Tanami it was about 12 deg o/nite and I guess these may fall by August.In 2003 at Alice Springs in August we copped a night in the tent at -5 deg,coldest night ever in a tent.By 0800 it was warm enough for shorts and a t-shirt(for us Tasmanians anyway).
AnswerID: 116406

Follow Up By: cloughie - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 11:03

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 11:03
Newman last week -2 on one morning.
FollowupID: 371998

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 19:41

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 19:41
Here ya go

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/map/anual_rainfall/

AnswerID: 116410

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 19:44

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 19:44
Eric ,
It was down to zero a few mornings on the Canning Stock route last July . By 10.00 am it was usually above 15c and often got up to around 22c during the day .
It warmed up pretty quickly as we went north to Rudall NP where it was quite mild in the mornings and high 20s during the day
I hope you have a great time . I think they may have just have had some rain up through the Pilbarra and south of there , so the wildflowers might be super this year .
Cheers ,
Willie .
PS I am not sure about the Kimberley temps - I have never been there .
AnswerID: 116411

Reply By: Member - Anni M (SA) - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 20:02

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 20:02
Hi Eric and Cathy,

I hope you have a fantastic trip! Our experience is that it can get very cold at night in all these places. We still manage to travel fairly light though. You will need thermals!!! During the day you will probably be OK with t shirts and maybe a jumper. Layering is the key to clothing. We take enough clothes so that we only need to do the washing weekly - so 7 t shirts, 7 sets of undies and socks etc. It doesn't take much room. Millny says 2 pairs of shorts and 2 pairs of jeans is plenty. Just remember you will be in the outback and the dress rules are pretty relaxed!!!!
Happy travels
Anni
AnswerID: 116416

Reply By: troy35 - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 20:46

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 20:46
Eric + Cathy,

I live in Broome and I think the solution to your problem would be not to take a lot of warm clothes but to just take one or two items of warm clothing.
Take the obvious like jeans and a jumper but dont over do it and take 3 jumpers and 3 pairs of jeans each. As someone else mentioned you are in the outback. You will be able to wear a jumper everynight for a week before it needs a wash.

Add to that a nice warm jacket a flanny shirt and maybe a pair of trackies and that should be all you need. You really only need one change of warm clothes and maybe an extra jumper as back up and thats it. You dont need a different set of warm clothes for every night of the week. By August things are starting to warm up a bit anyway.

Hope this helps,

Troy.

P.S. I have lived here 15 years and only own one warm jumper.
AnswerID: 116423

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 16:36

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 16:36
Troy ,
Do you really think they know what trackies and flannies are ????????
Willie
FollowupID: 372076

Follow Up By: troy35 - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 19:13

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 19:13
Well if they are coming to Australia they need to Google these words and find out.
FollowupID: 372100

Reply By: Skinnydog - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 22:06

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 22:06
Daytime temps, beautiful. Nighttime temps bloody freezing. You get a bit warmblooded living in the Pilbara.
ps Coastal areas not as cold at night as inland.
Skinnydog
AnswerID: 116455

Reply By: Footloose - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 22:14

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 22:14
I've slept in some cold places in Europe. Brrrrr in winter. But over here its the nightime/daytime variations that get to me.
You won't need the giant fur coats :)) However gloves and a beanie can come in very handy when the temp gets down. As posted, layering is the key.
Took my family to Uluru years ago and camped near Oodnadatta in winter. It was so cold that we got up, put our bedclothes on the kids and sat and stoked the fire until the sun came up.
Had forgotten how cold it could get. Four years ago I shivered at Uluru until I had a brainstorm (!) and remembered to sleep with my socks and beanie on :))
However cold nights are almost invariably followed by beautiful days. Just remember to be ready for when the sun sets.
AnswerID: 116457

Reply By: Andy C - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 23:13

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 23:13
You've had a lot of feedback on the clothing side of your post. As far as water goes, as a rule of thumb, a gallon per person per day. (4.5L per person per day).

You probably wont go through that - but do a radiator hose - (or whatever) - you'll be glad for the provision. And after four days when you've plenty of water, wash your feet - it's heaven!

A
AnswerID: 116469

Follow Up By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 12:10

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 12:10
I too live in Broome. Never gets really cold here, but it's a different matter when away from the coast. Have been in the Tanami many times in July/August and 2 degrees is quite common at night.

Daytime temps inland are almost always comfortable (25-30 degrees).

Need doona plus blanket at night.
Collyn Rivers
FollowupID: 372006

Reply By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 21:16

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 21:16
Hows it going Eric ,

Went most of those places last year.

We found almost no advantage in changing clothes , other than smell of course , because as soon as you showered and put on clean clothes you got filthy again.

The worst place we found was around the Hammersley range area .

Its easy to pack heaps more clothes than you need.

Just be prepared for questions after ,Q Why are you wearing the same clothes in all the photos ? A If I packed any more clothes we couldnt fit the beer in !!

This answer will work in Australia , or perhaps Germany .

Glenn
AnswerID: 116958

Sponsored Links