Road Conditions - Outback Qld/SA/Birdsville/Innamincka area

Submitted: Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 16:13
ThreadID: 24023 Views:3231 Replies:9 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
We haven't been able to get the site update done as quickly as hoped, however news to hand from Karsten from the newly named Big Red Cafe in Birdsville is as follows:

Last weekend (11/12th June) Karsten got stuck in Windorah with all the roads closed and rain falling for three days straight (and more to come). They decided to go around the water. to get back to Birdsville but found every dirt road from Windorah south to Willcania, and west to Birdsville/Bedourie was underwater, ended up going Charleville-Cunamulla-Bourke-Cobar-Willcania on Tuesday, then from Broken Hill and headed to Adelaide until this Saturday just been. He tell su that it rained all the way from Adelaide to Birdsville (driving on Saturday 18th and Sunday 19th June) they overnighted in Mungerannie. It took them 6.5 hours to drive from Mungerannie to Birdsville. A few stuck along the track.

We will post this info with any updates into the Road Conditions page tomorrow. But you can't get much more current than that!
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 16:30

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 16:30
Mungerannie to Birdsville is reported closed at the South Australian Northern Roads site Michelle, as is the Innamincka to Birdsville one. Seems like the access to Birdsville is out for a few days and Walkers Crossing too for the Birdsville Track to Innamincka access we were to use for ponding of the water over the track. I imagine it will be fun crossing the Simpson for a week or two.

I guess the National gathering place may have to change if it goes on for long.

Will the new name change the character of the Blue Poles Gallery?
AnswerID: 116565

Follow Up By: Member - Stan (VIC) - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 16:49

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 16:49
I am heading to Simpson on Saturday... Hopefully it is
dries up a bit before we get to Birdsville from Oodnadatta... And some people has been laughing when I told them that I am putting cause I am going to Simpson :).
FollowupID: 372077

Follow Up By: Member - Stan (VIC) - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 16:50

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 16:50
Opps... should read "And some people has been laughting when I told then that I am putting a snorkel cause I am going to Simpson :)"
FollowupID: 372079

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 18:51

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 18:51
I posted a reply on here this afternoon advising that all roads into and out of Birdsville CLOSED (except for the Desert) and have been since Saturday. I also said that with good blowing winds and sunny days it is hoped some will be open shortly. I do not appreciate my Post being deleted.
AnswerID: 116581

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 18:59

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 18:59
Ruth,
No one in our office has deleted your post but where is the post now? Are you sure you posted it at all?
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 372098

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 20:17

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 20:17
Might have to put the 37"s back onto the 8" rims with the secondairs, instead of the 16 x 10's for my trip in a week or so to the Simpson.. ;-)

Ruth, any idea what the weather forcast for the area is for the next little while?
FollowupID: 372107

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 21:19

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 21:19
Ruth,

I have investigated any post deletions that may have occured and I cannot find any trace of a post deletion on the server since last Friday.
I have also not had any feedback from our moderators that a post was was deleted so I am concerned about what may have happened.

Can you give me any additional information, was it a reply or followup? I should be able to trace the email if it was a reply or followup as it should have gone to someone. There are no breaks in the numbering system in terms of new threads so it cannot have been a new post. If it was a reply or followup do you know which part/who it was directed to?

I will investigate the consecutive numbers for the reply and followup data files to see if there is any breaks in there, however if you have any details that would help narrow down the search!
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 372129

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 21:54

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 21:54
Ruth,

Furthur investigation has failed to find anything. I have manually checked the reply & followup database and there is no hole in the consecutive numbering system (at least not for the last few days) so nothing at all has been deleted from the system.

I am 100% sure that no posts have been deleted so it appears your post never made it to the server system. In any case a post from you with road conditions information would never have been deleted!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 372135

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 07:50

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 07:50
Hi Ruth,

Could you be referring to 23819?

Kind regards
FollowupID: 372166

Reply By: Penguin (NSW) - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 19:18

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 19:18
What's the opinion of the locals (Ruth/Karsten) for the National Gathering? For how much longer is rain forecast and how long is it likely to take to dry out?

Keep in mind that it's two and a half weeks away but I guess we do need to plan ahead.
AnswerID: 116588

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 19:26

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 19:26
We're off on Saturday and been doing some research.

A weather forecaster friend has told us that it will be dry in the centre for the next 8 days. Dunno after that.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 116590

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 20:11

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 20:11
I would have thought that posting up to date road conditions would have been one of the benefits for members. Exploroz was always the place that most people went to for current conditions, especially at this time of year when most people hit the red stuff. The SA roads site and RACQ site can keep it all up to date.

Cheers

Glenn
AnswerID: 116598

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 21:09

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 21:09
Yeah correct Glenn - However as we have been unable to get the full reports sorted Michelle decided to post it here today to give the information in a quick fashion as easliy as possible.

As has also been indicated we have a new member of staff comming on board to try to keep up with all the updates. She starts in a few weeks so we are trying to keep everything going in the meantime.

We also do not only source the information from SA Road and RACQ we get first hand info from travellers and radio networks, it takes several hours to do an update on he conditions and we have had a difficult time getting the resources onto the task. As already written a full round of updates will be posted tomorrow. I will also then ensure that they are kept updated as conditions change.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 372125

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 21:15

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 21:15
Hi David,

Yes I read your response in post 24014. Great to see you are employing another person, business must be great.

Cheers

Glenn
4wdadventureoz
FollowupID: 372128

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 21:06

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 21:06
After reading the above, have just checked BOM Satmap, and Weatherzone to make sure I didn't post any shonky info.

There has been no rain in middle Diamantina area(near Diamantina Lakes N/P) since 9am today. Falls over the past 2 days seem to be in 50-75mm range, with one report of 100mm near Middleton.
Falls have been steady, and soaking, and after such a long dry spell, I doubt if there would be as much run-off, as in normal seasons.

However, with such a large area receiving good falls, there is sure to be low to moderate flooding, in the main river systems. Unlikely to effect Birdsville for another month or two. A lot of roads are closed at present, but are likely to open within a week.

Will it rain again soon? Don't forget this is winter, and average falls for June and July are around 7.3mm & 10.3mm, respectively. The last winter rain like this lot, was about 1991!!

Don't stop your trip, just do some research, or take a different route, to avoid any likely hold-ups.

Think of the wild flowers you'll miss if you don't come.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 116613

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 22:21

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 22:21
Hi Bob

When are you going away to see your daughter off?

I have planned a trip along the Sandover(because I have never been there) and thought we might just drop in to say G'day at Brighton Downs on the way to Birdsville.
FollowupID: 372144

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 09:09

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 09:09
G'day Willem,

Just talking to Linda today, and we may try to get away by 3rd or 4th, as we plan to have a fortnight off work. Returning about 16 or 17th, hence no chance of getting to EO get-together.

Hope this might fit in with your plans. About 73mm at Urandangie yesterday, and 67mm at Headingly Station, just to north. Don't know what was up near Lake Nash, though Austral Downs had 6.2mm.

You are able to come here via a trun-off on Winton Boulia road, which is shortest route to take, from 'Isa - Urandangie area. Not sure what the crossing over the Diamantina will be like around then.

Our phone: 07 46573 959.

Your trip sounds excellent, and you'll be able to keep fit, polishing out all the scratches with Extra-cut polish???
After the rain, your travels should be through a carpet of green, in most places, on return trip home. This weather has really changed the remainder of the year for us.

Take care,
Regards,
Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 372171

Reply By: Karsten from Big Red Cafe - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 09:32

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 09:32
Hi Guys

The weather has been pretty good the last couple of days, so the roads should be almost dry. Unless there is more big rain everything will be fine for the meet.

There are still people coming in & out of Birdsville, so with the weather, and roads closed, it still hasn't stopped traffic....

Looking forward to seeing you all in July.

Oh, and John, the name change of the Cafe from Caravanserai to Big Red is so people might find it easier to pronounce and ensure there's no mix up between the Caravan Park and our cafe (you'd be surprised how much mail etc. went the wrong way).

Wolfgang is still painting madly, and dare I say it, with the flowers sure to be blooming in a few weeks, we'll see lots of wild flower paintings !

AnswerID: 116657

Reply By: AndrewW - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 09:47

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 09:47
We leave on Saturday 25th of June, for a W-E Simpson crossing via Oonadatta.

Am looking forward to seeing the desert for the first time. Hope the rain doesn't close all the tracks, but if we get to Birdsville and can't go any further, then so be it.

I have 3 weeks of holidays, and will worry about road closures once that time is up.

Andrew
AnswerID: 116663

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Juliana - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 14:09

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 14:09
Road conditions have been updated this morning with all the current reports that I have received.
Click here to read the current reports.

Regards,
Juliana.
AnswerID: 116725

Sponsored Links