GPS File sharing

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 00:30
ThreadID: 24038 Views:1985 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Thought someone here might be interested in a GPS file sharing site that a mate and I have started. It's for people to share GPS tracks/waypoints/POI.
It's free to use and you can start downloading files straight away.

www.gpsaustralia.net

Hope to see you there.
Cheers
Darren
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike Harding - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 06:45

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 06:45
I just opened the page using Firefox with no Java and got a blank screen which wanted me to download some plug-ins. No thank you and bye bye.

Call me an old cynic (you're an old cynic Harding) but as you have registered a domain for this site (which costs a few hundred dollars) do you have a commercial future in mind for it? Nothing wrong if you do but I'm just curious before I start posting all my carfully gathered waypoints.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 116647

Follow Up By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 08:54

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 08:54
Hi Mike
While I agree with you about sharing carefully gathered waypoints, I just went to that site as well and I wasn't asked to download any plugins and the site seems to be ok, or am I missing something.
Cheers Poppy
FollowupID: 372169

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 11:33

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 11:33
Site uses macromedia flash to play introduction page..so you need associated plug-in to play....no big deal. You currently use a site (exploroz) that has a registered domain name for commercial purposes so what’s the problem with another one (if in fact it goes this way)? Quite a few free and non free waypoint/track sharing sites out there ..here's another - Don’t see an issue myself - You're an old cynic Harding:)
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 372182

Follow Up By: timber - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 13:16

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 13:16
try this link in Mozilla, it by passes the "Wlecome" page.

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/

Cheers

Buggerlux
FollowupID: 372198

Reply By: Niko - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 17:12

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 17:12
This is quite interedting, I use to own GPSAustralia.net and now it's being put to good use :) a .net domain is not hundreds of dollars either, around $15AU and you can get free hosting space if need be. You get the USA adverts but so what, just a minor detail. If anyone wants to buy a domain name come visit my store and if you want I even got host space for ya and if you are really keen, software for your own online shop. Enough of the advertising!! :x
AnswerID: 116745

Follow Up By: Shady - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 17:49

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 17:49
I am only going to echo the responses of others here.
Just use the www.gpsaustralia.net/forums and you'll bypass the intro.
I have had a few people with issues with this already so will probably change it in the near futre.
The site was started because I could not find anywhere to get tracks that I could go exploring on. We have no intention of making people pay for downloading them. Mainly because I wouldn't pay for them before this site was created.
The site was registered 12 days ago and we have just on 150 members already. Over last weekend alone we had 400 unique visitors and nearly 20,000 hits. Not bad going.
Being such a new site, I don't know exactly which direction the site will head, I thinks it's best left to the members.
The site was registered by a mate of mine who actually owns the site. Craig is a computer techie who has a server and hosts other web sites for people so the dollar cost of running the site is negligable only measured in time.
We do have exciting things happening on the site very soon. Something that I would love to get a hold of....so keep going back and don't worry too much about guarding your favourite tracks. If you change your mind you can always delete it.
FollowupID: 372236

Sponsored Links