Trayon Campers

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 09:59
ThreadID: 24044 Views:5905 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Thinking of purchasing a Trayon slide on camper for the back of a Toyota trayback for the wife and I.
Just wondering if anyone could advise on their experience with one of these units.
Would you recommend this camper or have you found something better.
Hoping to travel for extended periods in some of the remoter areas.
Any recommendations appreciated. Many thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 11:09

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 11:09
G'day, I have seen and ad for a new slide on camper from a mob in Yarram Vic, looks very good and bloody cheap compared to others I have seen. I haven't got the info here, but will pick it up tommorrow and post it for you. Hope this helps.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 116676

Reply By: Tripp'n Around - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 11:53

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 11:53
Hi In Good Time

In the end what you buy must suit what you want to do with it.

have you looked here?
www.candycanvas.com.au

We found this suited our needs better.

Cya
Tripp'n
:)
AnswerID: 116689

Follow Up By: Tripp'n Around - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 12:03

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 12:03
Follow Up.......

Just found this on the Candy website and it has been recently updated:-

We will be around Brisbane on 28th - 30th June. Please ring on 1800 810 441 if you wish to meet up with us.

Cya
FollowupID: 372191

Follow Up By: Tripp'n Around - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 22:56

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 22:56
Follow Up........

Forgot to mention that last year while stopped at Coen we chatted to people heading up to the cape who owned a Trayon.
They were quite happy to show us their unit.
They loved it but found the lack of easy access to the inside storage space from the outside quite annoying, so they had 2 extra doors put on the outside along the passenger side of the unit.
It looked good too.
Remember these mods will cost extra.

Cya
FollowupID: 372286

Reply By: Fusion - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 15:59

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 15:59
G'day,

Be sure to include the Adventure TrayTop in your research.

They have a King Size bed, nice and low to the ground, so no steps, huge kitchen on one side and almost 2000 litres (2 Cubic Metres) of storage on the other.

Thanks,

Aaron.

AnswerID: 116740

Reply By: motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 19:30

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 19:30
I know someone who has bought one and sent me some photos. He thinks it will be luxury with the ability to go anywhere camping. He said it was expensive, but he got what he wanted.
AnswerID: 116769

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 22:17

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 22:17
I G T,

We have friends that have had a Trayon for over 10 years. Think theirs may have been one of the early ones, as there were a few teething problems with fridge(a Trailblazer) and the electrics. Know the fridge worked OK, just that the wiring wasn't quite right.

These friends love their unit, as the Triton ute, is used on farm, when not travelling. Plenty of room to stand up, inside, to cook meals, get dessed etc, and good sized double bed. Can be set up in under 5 minutes, I'd say, and the bed becomes a small awning to relax under, and watch others labour away, setting up their C/T's.

The Triton has a number of tool boxes under the tray, to carry tools etc, as well as some PVC pipe, for poles for bed/awning. This Trayon has been around Oz, as well as the Cape, Birdsville, and a trip down the Diamantina almost every year.

For a ute mounted camper, they are good, though one disadvantage might be, having to pack all the time, when using the vehicle. Maybe there are hydraulic legs, that can lift the camper off, at a long term campsite.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 116813

Reply By: Jayk - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 22:45

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 22:45
And don't forget to check out Heaslip Traytop Campers too...

www.heaslipcampers.com

We finally settled on a Heaslip for several reasons. They sit low on your vehicle but fold out into a comfortable unit with a roomy tent area that isn't cramped. The kitchen is outside the camper, where we like to be when we are camping and this also leaves lots, and I mean lots, of readily accessible storage in the unit.

It's all a matter of individual needs though and shouldn't be rushed.

Why? ... Why not?

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 116814

Follow Up By: Dunedigger - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 20:34

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 20:34
I have owned one for about 4 years. Have been away in Vic High country, all round Tasmania, and lots of otherplaces as well. Realy would not change a thing. Biggest problem is in wet weather, having to close up with wet canvas, though I fix that with plastic drop sheets to protect bedding and seats. Plenty of storage room and plenty of space for two people

3 way fridge is a bastard thou as it has to be level to work so requires to get the vehicle level with wheel chocks or hi-lift jack. I have changed the jacks on the legs and can now remove / put back on in about 15 minutes.

I find it quite warm if you put a clay pot on on one of the gas rings

If I were to swap it would be for a Jaco poptop but would hate to be using that in the bush and it would cost twice as much

The trayon is great in the bush as the height is not much higher than the cab.

I just love being able to get inside and cook & eat a meal snug inside away from cold winds. Even camped in the snow one time up on Barrington Tops !

If you stop for a cuppa, you can have the kettle on in about 90 seconds of stoping

Dundedigger
FollowupID: 372457

Reply By: Member - John - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 20:56

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 20:56
G'day again, the info on the Turtleback Camper I mentioned in a previous post is: Peter Klein 03 51826152 or pklein@kleinsnursery.com.au The set up looks really good and seems cheap for what you get. I have no idea of the build quality etc, but may be worth a look. I have no affliation with them at all. Hope you find something suitable.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 116952

Reply By: Dunedigger - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 18:22

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 18:22
I forgot to mention that you can have someone sleeping while the other cooksa meal, reads a book etc. We hires a Campervan in New Zealand and the bed had to be made up every night ! As well there was not enough room for two people to pass each other !

DuneDigger
AnswerID: 117296

Sponsored Links