Simpson in September??!!

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 10:24
ThreadID: 24046 Views:2555 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I'm contempating a Simpson Crossing in September. I want to take a camper trailor across and would like to find out if there are any problems that I should be aware of in towing a camper across? I'll be towing the camper with a Prado TD Auto.
Any information on this and the best route to take as well as recent road conditions
between Dalhousie Springs and Birdsville would be appreciated.

[Dont wont much!!!]

Cheers and thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 11:54

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 11:54
G'day Inland Sailor,

Mate it is a can of worms that has and airing on this forum a couple of times. It realy polarises te community on this forum, there are those that say you shouldn't and those that say you can.

Those that say you shoudn't, do so for many reasons but apart from those that are concerned with your personal welfare (there are some) a large majority just don't want trailers in the Simpson because they think it environmentally irresposible. This is based mainly on SA Parks recommendations and past actions of others that may have dumped their trailers.

Those that say you can, yes there are a couple, I have found speak from their personal experience of having done this. They generally qualify their response around the vehicle (is it up to it), the trailer (is it up to it), how well prepared you are (winch etc, spares, travelling with others) and most importantly if you break down expect it to cost big bucks for a recovery.

Hope that in my effort to be succinct I haven't offended anyone.

The best road depends on the conditions at the time but I,m led to believe this is the Rig Road. I am planning to cross in late September, maybe we can hook up.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 116690

Follow Up By: Inland Sailor - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 09:22

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 09:22
Thanks for the offer to hook up. As our plans form closer to the time,let me know. I may also ave a couple of other vehicles interested!!
FollowupID: 372310

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 11:04

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 11:04
G'day Inland Sailor,

We'll be with either 3 or 4 vehicles returning from the Kimberley (so we'll be going west to east). The 4th vehicle is yet to decide if they wan't to do the Simpson.

Our plan is to leave Brisbane 16/7 and return around 7/10, my guess is that we would be hitting the Simpson the last week in Sept, how's this figure in your preliminary timetable?

Kind regards
FollowupID: 372319

Follow Up By: Inland Sailor - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 19:20

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 19:20
Beatit

Sounds about right for us[?]. We're heading out from NE Vic, 1st the Upper Flinders- Arkaroola, then plan to slip up the Oodnadata Tk and on to do the Simpson, returning via the "Dig tree" & Broken Hill.

Cheers
FollowupID: 372444

Reply By: Neville M (VIC - Melb) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 12:55

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 12:55
In May this year I went across the French Track the down to WAA line and then back to the French. The group in front had two trailers and went along the French line, they had to be snatched over in a few location.

Not only did they find it difficult, they chopped the crap out of the track when snatching the trailer and the heavy driving to get them over the others.

The Rig track would be the better option if you have to take a trailor.
AnswerID: 116701

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 19:18

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 19:18
The biggest factor in sept /oct is the weather, I've been across twice (out of 13 crossings by various routes) at this time of the year and ambient temps willl/can be in the high 40's to low 50's making it very hard work climbing really soft dunes. If you must do it at this time of the year consider travelling early in the day and resting up in the afternoon. It will be hard work for both the vehicle and the occupants.
AnswerID: 116766

Reply By: Inland Sailor - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 09:17

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 09:17
Thanks for those replies. The issue of weather seems of some concern, those temps seem high for thst time of year. I would have thought Feb - March would have been the hottest.
AnswerID: 116851

Follow Up By: Karsten from Big Red Cafe - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 16:57

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 16:57
The weather warms up pretty quickly after mid August. (Races 1st weekend Sept. can be hot & dusty). There is a push bike races across the Simpson 1st weekend in Oct. and they are usually travelling with high-30's to mid-40's. Having said that.....it might rain. There might be a cold southerly change. etc. etc. Just be prepared that the odds are that it will be hot.

If you like a sail, drop in and see Wolfgang. He keeps a couple of lasers at a local (permanent) waterhole. There's nothing like inland sailing, is there Inland Sailor ?

Safe travels.

Karsten
FollowupID: 372415

Follow Up By: Inland Sailor - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 19:36

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 19:36
Thanks for that follow up! Yep, sailing is perhaps my favorite pastime, as once it was Skiing [On the white stuff] and now, as a Balding Nomad [You have to have hair to be a Grey Nomad] camping and touring.

I'd post a Pic of my boat if you can tell me how!!!
FollowupID: 372446

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 11:58

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 11:58
Hi Karsten,

We are planning to call past, mentioned this before, but from the sounds of things may have to change the order from a mugachino to an ice coffee.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 372505

Follow Up By: Karsten from Big Red Cafe - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 13:10

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 13:10
Yeh mate, I'm sure Wolfie would love to see a pic.
Send it to birdsvillestudio@bigpond.com

Wolfie used to have a lovely old (wooden) Hereshoff H-28. He sold it and some years later the eventual owner contacted him regarding it's history. It's now moored in Brisbane and the owner designed the Town Hall in Birdsville !!!

Wolfgang's in the middle of organising a local sailing regatta.

Drop in anyway.

Regards

Karsten

FollowupID: 372513

Reply By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 19:26

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 19:26
There are those who say 'you can' those who say 'you should not' and those who say 'I did'. As has been mentioned before I always qualify with the follows musts:
1. Good Vehicle. (more important when taking a CT you need grunt and traction control)
2. Good Trailer. We didn't see any wreckages like some have but a cheap CT will only cause pain.
3. Good technique. Don't go like a bat outa ... But don't idle Either momentum to get over dunes is required.
4. Lower tyre pressures. A must. We started running 25psi but lowered to 22psi which as much better. Some will say 17psi which I understand.
5. Have a plan B. conditions change and you may need to go via another way.

We went last Sep and had no trouble. It was abit hot 38-40deg any heaps of flies. Have a go and have fun.

Follow the link on my rig pic to my web site of our trip.

Gaz
AnswerID: 117445

Sponsored Links