Tinny on the car or the CT?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 13:28
ThreadID: 24054 Views:3721 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I have just joined this forum....it's great....what a wealth of experience can be tapped into here!! I thought I might impose on others experiences by asking some questions that I have been unable to unearth answers too!! We are about to head North from Perth (Derby, GRR etc).

Question 1,

when travelling long distances is it best to have a tinny (11'or 12') on the tow vehicle (Prado in my case) or the Camper trailer (Jayco offroad eagle). Has anyone compared fuel consumption?

Question 2,

If the tinny is on the CT can the roof still be wound up for an overnight sleep without removing the tinny?

Question 3,

Does anybody know of an outboard motor holder (9.9 - 15hp) that can be attached to the rear mounted spare tyre (as on a Prado).

Thanks in advance

Cheers
David
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappa - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 13:39

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 13:39
Question 2. I suspect not. I doubt the roof could support the extra weight of a 11-12ft tinny.

Question 3. Only ever seen homemade ones.

Back to question 1. How do you intend to carry it, to launch it ?

Changing from the CT to the Vehicle all the time would be a PITA. IMO better to carry it on what you intend to launch it with.

bearing in mind though , the need for a roof rack etc.

I suspect that a Tinny (not flat nose punt) would actually add only a small amount extra to fuel consumption.

I'm almost certain that I use more fuel with my rack sack , then my dad does with the boat on the roof . . . happy to be corrected though.

AnswerID: 116712

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 13:54

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 13:54
G'day Tiger,

Tried both and agree with Flappa that having it on the CT is a PITA - it has to be the car!

Have a look at,

!MPG:3!

The OB goes in the boat on top, this is a great way to travel.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 116719

Follow Up By: porks - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 21:43

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 21:43
Hi Beatit.......could you please fill in a few details about the "tinnie Tosser", have only seen the Rhino loader .
What price and availability in Brisbane area, what size tinnie etc
MUCH APPRECIATED.....Porks
FollowupID: 372274

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 08:43

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 08:43
G'day Porks,

First and foremost it's not cheap, cost $4,000 all up (this included the motor crate and some mods to the boat.

Having said that though I also looked at the Rhino and felt it didn't look like it would hold together on off road tracks (I could be corrected on this but just my opinion). The guy that makes these is north of Brisbane and tailor makes each one to suit the vehicle. It does take him a while but he is a perfectionist.

They are made to very exacting fits utilising the full length of the gutter and has its main supports lined up with the vehicle pillars for strength. It fits perfectly!

The tinnie is a 75 K stessle and the motor and crate weigh 52 K (just light enough to handle). The whole show winches up and down with ease so make taking the boat and camper trailer a simple reality. Suffice to say that the boat and motor arrangement is also required to make the rack so that the centre of balance is known for roller location.

Mate, it is a lot of dough but a piece of cake taking the boat these days and certainly getting it off the trailer was what was required.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 372301

Reply By: Tessysdad - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 19:23

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 19:23
Hi David,
we have a 3.75m Quinnie, weighs 74kg. When we had a camper trailer we carried it on top of the C/T for trips where we were going to stop, camp/fish, and return home. Last year we toured through the Kimberley and Pilbara and put the Quinnie on top of the Patrol. The outboard (15hp Honda) is carried on one side of the dual wheel carrier(bracket attached to suit). With this setup we were able to put a two man canoe on top of the C/T. Although it only took a few minutes to remove the canoe to set up the C/T for an overnight stop, it was still a bit of a pain at times. Times spent slipping up a beautiful peace of water in the Kimberley made up for it. One thing we did discover though, it is no more difficult to put a tinnie on top of the Patrol instead of the C/T, and you don't have to do it each time you stop.
NB: I used to have a Hawk C/T once and if I remember correctly I think there was something in the owner's manual about not raising the roof when there was something on top of it. Hope all this helps. Enjoy the Kimberley.
Happy camping,
Mike and Jan.
AnswerID: 116767

Sponsored Links