SUV Kluger drive

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 14:03
ThreadID: 24056 Views:2403 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
We recently purchased a CV Sport. It is the same spec as the CVX, minus leather seats and 6-stack CD. Paid $43,650 drive away with Toyota towpack. Now, 7 weeks and 3,500Klm later I am totally wrapt in it! The ride is superb, especially off-road. You can see where the Kluger has the Toyota 4WD supsension engineering edge over the Territory. The fuel economy is totally brilliant. Much of our driving has included National Parks, such as Springbrook, Main Range, Condamine/Queen Mary NP and several other SE Qld parks. If you've travelled these areas, you will know how steep these roads are. On these trips, the average consumption is in the mid 10lts/100klms. On straight highway, it is mid 8lts/100 klms! The RX330 derived 3.3 litre is as good as the reviews report. Standing start acceleration is very, very quick. The acceleration took me by surprise and is certainly quicker than you will expect from this size vehicle (using standard unleaded fuel). Even with 5 pax and gear onboard, it is quicker off the line than our previous AU2 XR6! The interior space is very good, especially the mid seating area. The huge leg room in mid seats for 3 adults is a plus. As for the 'hole' in the front console floor area; it's a bloody clever idea. We store a 350W 12/240v inverter there and it is a great place to keep it and a cordless spotlight.
The Kluger is without doubt more capable off road than its competitors. I owned several Nissan Patrols back in the late 70's and I know where they can go. Like all things with cars, it is driver ability that makes the difference to expolit the vehicle's capabilities. Off-road capability compared to Kluger competitors is evident in the tyre fitment. The Toyo 'Tranpath' tyres are a compromise between road grip and off bitumen performance. The Territory has a better handling setup on the road due to fitment of road tyres; that is where it ends. The Kluger's Toyo's higher aspect ratio ensures better cushioning on the serious 'bumps' and 'thumps'. The Kluger does have body roll,not enough to complain about, but hey, it is meant to be driven off road and that is the value in the hybrid tyre setup. Can't fault the body work or paint-typical Toyota quality!

GRIPES-None really. No squeaks or rattles. The 5-speed auto is a gem, BUT, steptronic/semi-auto is something that Toyota should consider in the next model. I have a 5-speed semi-auto in my TL Magna AWD and it's a great setup on windy roads, especially on steep decents.

The Toyota 4WD parentage is there in design and function and the Kluger is going to suit buyers like us who want a very capable, performance engineered, economical and spacious machine that WILL FREQUENTLY AND SERIOUSLY be used off the bitumen. Our choice was between the TS AWD Territory and the Kluger. The CV Sport hit the dealers at the right time and is top value! We opted away from the Territory because it is too heavy and over the long-term will prove too thirsty.
For our money, the Kluger CV Sport is tops in value-for-money. The Toyota badge inspires confidence, reliablity and resale. ALSO, Toyota sell the Kluger overseas as the 'Highlander' and it's been around since 2001, so it is a proven design. As a comparison of real value, cost the RX330 and the Kluger. It's the shared mechanicals and the RX330 has the review awards to back up its credentials.
If your not hard core 4WD, Kluger is tops!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 14:06

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 14:06
Make that 2 sets of LMCT details???????????
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 116723

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 14:30

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 14:30
make that 3

post 23225
FollowupID: 372218

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 14:36

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 14:36
Maybe he brought the wrong vehicle and he's trying to convince himself otherwise.

Unfortunately the Ford Dealers wont give much on a Kluger/territory trade
FollowupID: 372220

Follow Up By: Member - Stan (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 14:55

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 14:55
Yes, looks like the wrong vechicle... When I was buying the
car I had a shortlist of Kluger/Territory after a few goes
between Ford/Toyota dealears I bought the Prado :).
FollowupID: 372222

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 22:41

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 22:41
Sounds like a Toyota salesman trying to make a sale
FollowupID: 372284

Follow Up By: BruSav - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 02:32

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 02:32
SUV does not equal 'real off-reader'. A real off-roader is an OKA or H2. Anything less is a vehicle that goes off road until it stops and then you walk!!
FollowupID: 372294

Reply By: WDR - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 19:39

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 19:39
Give us a break - I have a Jack and a CVX Kluger - The Kluger is a great car but not a real offroader, handy on dirt - the safety aspects are great.
The Ford was not around when I was looking so I cannot comment.
You must be a dealer.
AnswerID: 116772

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 07:42

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 07:42
" Even with 5 pax and gear onboard, it is quicker off the line than our previous AU2 XR6! "

LMAO
AnswerID: 116836

Reply By: Skinny- Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 09:36

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 09:36
Whoops I think you posted your advert on our site by mistake. SMH or Daily Telegraph handle adverts. Don't worry mistakes happen. We are used to spin doctors trying to tell us we can pack all our luggage in a barina and drive like a rally champion in a Lancer and of course we all meet AWD'ers who are stuck off road because they believe the crap on tele.

CRV are good cars no doubt about it. But horses for courses.

Sorry i will go take my blue pills this morning and have a cup of tea.

Cheers

Skinny
AnswerID: 116854

Follow Up By: BruSav - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 11:00

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 11:00
Now you see, there is a difference between an advert and buyer advocacy. Toyota does the advertising, the buyer provides opportunity for feedback. I am more than happy to present a view that the SUV is an alternative for people who may otherwise buy a standard 4x4. Yes, the Kluger takes off like a stunned rabbit, and so it should its state-of-the art donk. Take one for a drive, then you'll know it's damm quick. When my Ford crazy' 14 yr old son says words to the effect, "bleepthat is fast". Coming from him, that says it all.
Is it not ironic that the current breed of 4x4 is almost passenger like in appointment. In that evolotion from the early 80's, real 4x4's have lost their identity. I suspect that most of you fellas have never owned a 'real 4x4'. These were the rigs my old man used to drive in the 60's and 70's during the Snowy Mountains Scheme. They were driven as they were built-hard!. The last Patrol I bought in 79 was as rough as guts inside, 3-sp box and rode like a Cobb & Co stage coach. But, it was designed for work not play. The fact still remains, the mainstream 4x4 is now giving way to smart SUV's. Remember the Dodo and dinosaur.......
FollowupID: 372317

Reply By: Stoutman - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 14:50

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 14:50
Can anyone on this forum really define "A REAL 4WD".

I personally don't think there is such a thing. The word "REAL" means nothing.

I own a Terracan by the way.
AnswerID: 116896

Follow Up By: Skinny- Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 15:04

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 15:04
Fast ...thats the problem people drive to fast. They don't see anything except speed cameras. I am old but never met a dodo or dinosuar. Just met lots of arrogant people who try to convince others that what they have is ok. I won't indulge you any further as I think I wasted too much breath talking to someone who has an opinion that he wants everyone else to adopt so he feels ok.

I am glad things change, but look at our national debt... and personal debt. New whiz bang comes at cost ....if your in the market and the kluger is good well good on you. You are a clear thinking analytical person who must be right.

Hope you can help me out if I am stuck on the side of the road....I'd do the same for you.

Skinny
FollowupID: 372389

Sponsored Links