Positive Feedback Where Due

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 00:56
ThreadID: 24072 Views:2151 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Morning all

I am great believer in providing positive feedback/credit where its due.

In April 2005 after much procrastination I decided to purchase a EGT kit, which I sourced from THERMOGUARD (EX-OZ forum Trader) .

It took me about 30 mins to install the pyrometer and run the sensor lead into the cabin. The rest took a little while due to where I decided to mount the guage/data logger.

Once installed I was intrigued as to how the 1HZ (aftermarket turbo) was travelling.

It was running relatively cool, however when under load I would have to say I was stunned as to how quick the temp rises. The actual guage appears to read in 'real time' which was interesting to watch.

I have since run it up to the OBC at Broken Hill in May and as I was with a group of the competitors as a member of the organising staff, it was given a fair workout over/through the competition area terrain.

After 2800kms the max temp reached was 475C, which included cruising the highways and bi-ways from Melbourne to B-hill, at around the 110kph. (give or take a bit here and there).

The max temp recommended by DTS and others including THERMGUARD and Internet resources is approx. 530C (with after turbo EGT) at which time you should be considering doing something to arrest the temp climbing - like changing down a gear or two or backing off the GO pedal.

So I am happy with the engine results and the EGT kit, which a number of forum members advised was valuable addition if you want to keep an eye on the Turbo setup performance.

I have never experienced EGT kits before, however the THERMOGUARD one works fine for me and was dead set easy to install.

I did discuss it with Ian (THERMOGUARD) before purchasing the kit and as a result he sourced a particular brass reducing sleeve that was necessary for me to fit the pyrometer into the port provided by MTG/DTS re same.

I can say it has been a pleasant experience dealing with THERMOGUARD and so far the product is excellent.

Regards

Ken Robinson

PS

Now for those of you that haven't taken your 'pills' before reading this post

NO! I don't work for or have shares in THERMOGUARD, nor am I related to the proprietors of same.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 07:46

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 07:46
Interesting read Ken

I've thought about one for a while. A couple of queries..

1. What was the final ching ching $ cost ?

2. From your investigations would you say they would be a benefit for std factory turboed engine, or are they more suited to an aftermarket add-on or OEM which had been tweaked ?

Cheers
AnswerID: 116838

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 20:14

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 20:14
Evening Rosco

Q1. Approx $300 including shipping and that specific brass reducer.

Q2. IMHO I would venture to say that an EGT guage/monitor would be of benefit to any turbo setup as it allows the driver/operator to monitor the EGT real time and manage same where necessary.

In essence it shows the result of the realtime air/fuel being fed into the combustion area, especially under load.

Its like any other guage, if they start to depart from the norm , hopefully you get enough warning to something about it.

Do you really need one??????? maybe/maybe not, however now that I have one I won't be getting rid of it in a hurry and I would not hesitate to instal one again in a similar situation.

FollowupID: 372451

Sponsored Links