Israelite Bay update

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 09:26
ThreadID: 24075 Views:1716 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I sent a trip report of our trek from Israelite Bay to Point Culver and beyond, to the Director of CALM, Esperance and received the following reply:

"Thank you very much for the feedback and yes the Travel Notes require updating - we were planning to update our Travel Notes this spring (during one of our patrols to this area), when we will now also be cleaning up (again) the Point Culver area. This was last done when we put in the conveyor belting about 3 years ago.

The clean up was actually proposed to have been carried out in the last month, when a loader was going to clean up the inland track from Israelite to Wattle Camp (post fire), however the rains have beaten us.

For hygiene (disease prevention) reasons we cannot carry out any soil disturbance work until soil conditions are relatively dry again.

Again thanks for the feedback, as we don’t always get out to all these remote places on a regular basis"
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pluto - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 17:07

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 17:07
Willem,

Does Calm have a facility on their web site for providing trip reports? or did you do it via email?
AnswerID: 116918

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 17:39

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 17:39
Hi Pluto

Yep I emailed the Director at Esperance after I had spoken with him previously with reference to the Wattle Camp run and beyond. Said that I would email our progress as there had not been fresh information for a while. He gave me his businesscard. I haven't looked at their website.
FollowupID: 372423

Follow Up By: Pluto - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 17:47

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 17:47
That sounds like my experience with CALM officers. They always react positively to public interactions (as long as your not mindlessly sledging them). It all adds to a positve outlook from them, towards our activities and interests.
FollowupID: 372424

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 18:04

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 18:04
Hi again Pluto

I am very impressed by the way CALM has implimented their visitor policies in WA and the way they manage their National Parks. It has taken a long while for me to change my attitude to embrace the User Pay process but I felt that when we had to pay $10 per night for caping there were very good bush facilities like new clean toilets and working gas BBQ's.

Some remote parks such as Rudall and Nuytsland were obviously not that well run mainly due to the fact that they are remote and not many and you are rewarded for the remoteness by finding a place where there is no one else. Rudall especially had few signs but luckily were able to find our way using Raster maps and GDT
FollowupID: 372426

Follow Up By: Pluto - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 18:11

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 18:11
It's refreshing to hear positive words about CALM from "the Other States". Living here, you tend to take them for granted. Familiarity, as they say, breeds contempt.
FollowupID: 372429

Sponsored Links