Roads to Birdsville

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 10:25
ThreadID: 24098 Views:2438 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Sorry guys, but the Walker's Crossing Road is actually closed to all traffic at the moment.
All other roads into Birdsville are open, but please take care at the boggy sections and stick to the road.
Things are drying out quickly though and the wildflowers promise to be spectacular.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 10:41

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 10:41
Thanks for the update.
AnswerID: 117012

Reply By: Karsten from Big Red Cafe - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 13:35

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 13:35
Goooooood Morning Birdsville !!!!! (I've always wanted to say that) LOL

I'm sure all Exploroz users are aware that if they click on "On the road" at the top of this page, and then "Road Conditions - SA" , you find all the lastest info.

If not, you do now. I believe David is almost finished upgrading Road conditions so that it will be interactive and you will be able to read the latest traveller reports along with officially sourced info.

If you haven't checked out the rest of this site already, take a look.....

See ya 'round

Karsten
AnswerID: 117049

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 17:20

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 17:20
G'day Karsten

Will be in Birdsville somewhere towards the end of the first week of July.

Looking forward to one of your famous Big Red Cafe milkshakes again.
FollowupID: 372570

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 18:55

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 18:55
Karsten,

I have now loaded the new road conditons system for SA and WA. The new external official updates function (the one that allows rangers and nominated officials to update the reports) is not yet published but I am working on it. I hope to have the other reports switched over tomorrow/Monday and the external official update funtions mid next week. We are also going to be tracking road status history to allow reports and graphs of road open/close/cautions to be produced on the fly and allow people to see road condition trends (this may help to reduce the questions we all get asked like, 'what will the road conditions be like in July 2006 when I am going there'

We have had some excellent response and feedback from the rangers and various official agencies about this so it looks like it will be great.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 372589

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 14:40

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 14:40
Thanks for the accurate post Birdsville. It seems some people treat roads as open, even if they are closed. Receiving incorrect information on a forum does not help either.

Cheers

Glenn
AnswerID: 117063

Follow Up By: Karsten from Big Red Cafe - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 16:34

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 16:34
Please see post 24085, Glenn. The very same entirely correct information was given yesterday afternoon, including Walkers Crossing not being open yet.

If you're still having difficulty with the lag in the "Road Conditions" information this site, spare a thought for Ruth at the Caravan Park who is having cancellations because of roads being closed instead of open (as they are) !!

This has a flow on effect to the whole community. Neither Ruth nor I give out spurious information. We try to keep you all informed to the best of our ability. I was locked out for a week. I'm glad it rained (I'm not glad we lost the cricket) I'm glad I'm home and I'm glad the roads are now open. I'm also glad that the flowers are going to be out in numbers.

I'm still wondering why you take exception with the same information provided by a local a day earlier than an anonymous user going by the name of "birdsville" a day later.

If you're so concerned about the accuracy of our reports, why don't you move up here and save us the trouble.

The beauty of this site is that it is fairly interactive and that alot of the locals up here use it.

I still can't locate the incorrect information that you talk of on this forum.
Please point it out so that it can be corrected.

Regards

Karsten
FollowupID: 372562

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 16:46

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 16:46
Karsten,

Please refer to my response in 24085, and I always spare a thought for Ruth and Ian, as I know that they are getting cancellations due to road conditions. Birdsville is a magnificent town, and I would love to spend more than the annual couple of days in the area.

Cheers

Glenn
FollowupID: 372566

Reply By: Karsten from Big Red Cafe - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 16:51

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 16:51
Just to qualify, "birdsville", where on this forum or in the Road Conditions does it say that Walkers Crossing is open ???

It seems that a couple of people are having problems with their reading skills.

Also you imply Walker's Crossing is a road into Birdsville. Walker's Crossing links Innamincka with the Birdsville Track, 174km south of Birdsville. It is not a road into Birdsville as you imply.

We don't want to mislead anybody, do we??

Regards

Karsten
AnswerID: 117087

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 18:16

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 18:16
Hi Karsten,

perhaps the confusion stems from your remark "Had some people come in from Walkers Crossing and although it was difficult, that should be clear soon as well." i hope it's open in August when we're up there, 4 weeks to go, but hey who's counting....hahaha

Lyn
FollowupID: 372580

Follow Up By: GOB & denny vic member - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 20:29

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 20:29
goodday lyn
when are you heading up to birdsville
we are not sure yet but if things swing back to our way we hope to head up there 6 -8-05
steve
FollowupID: 372601

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 07:12

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 07:12
Hi Steve, August 13&14 is when we are in birdsville.

Lyn
FollowupID: 372634

Follow Up By: Karsten from Big Red Cafe - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 14:19

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 14:19
Lyn

Alot can happen in four weeks, but have a safe trip whatever awaits.

As far as "confusion" is concerned, I was simply reporting a fact "Had some people come in from Walkers Crossing and although it was difficult," followed by my opinion "that should be clear soon as well" which is on well founded ground.

Less of an issue, wouldn't you say, than making out "Walkers Crossing" is a road leading to Birdsville ? Unless Walkers Crossing has been moved 174km I think there might be a few disappointed souls looking for Birdsville around Clifton Hills station!!!

Point being that an anonymous person has gone on and given misleading info. whilst implying the report I lodged a day earlier was incorrect. This was compounded by somebody else jumping on the bandwagon. The irony being that this anonymous person, who I assume is familiar with the area, posting reports on it, doesn't even know where Walkers Crossing is !!!!

I can only hope that David's new interactive system for "Road Conditions" alleviates some of the nonsense that goes down everytime a bit of rain falls.

Safe Travels

Karsten

FollowupID: 372679

Sponsored Links