Auto hubs not disengaging

Submitted: Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 18:39
ThreadID: 24154 Views:1492 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Gday, I have an '86 td Jackaroo, which recently started occasionally making a grinding noise from the hubs when i reach about 40kph. The noise comes from either hub, but only one at a time, and goes away when i slow down. I took it to my mechanic, but he couldnt work it out as it doesnt do it all the time, and it wasnt playing up when i took it to him. All he could see was the hubs were dry, so he greased them, but they still do it. I looked it up on the net, and a couple of sites say this is the hubs not disengaging properly. I always back up a few metres after using 4x4 but the hubs still kick in when they shouldnt. Does anyone know why they might do this ( i live in the northern tablelands, could it be the ball freezing winter mornings locking them up?), and whether i could change over to free wheeling hubs and would this solve it. Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: guy (sydney) - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 08:13

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 08:13
Had this problem on my 98 triton i used to own (not the grinding) started out the hubs would engage then disengage then one day they didnt disengage turn out to be a couple of valves or something like that in the front diff purposly designed so that if your out somewhere where youll need 4wd and these fail they lock in instead of lock out like the older style ones so i was told. Cost about 400 odd bucks very unhappy i also looked at changing them to manual ones due to the fact the ute had 70000kms on it i didnt want it happening again and from memory fitted manual hubs where going to cost about 4 or 5 hundred bucks.
Guy
AnswerID: 117369

Sponsored Links