Nissan 1999 GU ST computer problems

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 19:41
ThreadID: 24177 Views:1575 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.
Wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I have been having. I have had my sub tank light come on, on the dash and staying on. I reset the computer by removing the battery leads and ran good for a couple of days. Then last night I came home switched the car off and all the dash lights stayed on very dull, even when I locked the car. So I reset the computer again and was all good until this afternoon when I shut the car off and I tapped the brake pedal getting out of the car and the dash lights came on as well as the windscreen wipers. I started the car and it went away. Then I thought it must of been a computer hiccup. Went to lock the car and the central locking does not work....
Also the fuel guage drops to empty when I start the car then it comes back up and when I have the lights on.
Please help me out if you can. Thanks heaps.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Chaz - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 23:33

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 23:33
Dwayne,
I'm not sure if this will help or if it's a similar fault, but I have seen a case where the GU owners fuel guage was going to empty when he hit the spot lights. This was caused by the fact that his spotties were earthed at the bullbar at their mouning points, and obviously the bullbar is mounted to the chassis. The problem was that the chassis wasn't earthed to the body, because of the rubber mounts, and the battery earth went to the motor and body. Iv'e also seen this problem with trailer lighting because the towbar is mounted to the chassis.
Whats happening is your fuel tank sender wiring is providing an earth path back to the dash, because the fuel tanks sender is the only electrical component mounted to the chassis.
In this case it was fixed by simply fitting a 16mm cable from the body to the chassis, so the first thing I would check is if there is any resistance between the body and chassis, and if there is, fit the wire.
Hope this helps.
Chaz
AnswerID: 117482

Reply By: GUPatrol - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 13:10

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 13:10
Earth problem, not computer....
Most likelly chassis to body earth...
AnswerID: 117528

Follow Up By: Dwayne - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 21:26

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 21:26
Thanks for that I will try that. Is there a specific location for the earth strap or just as long as it goes from the body to the chassis.
FollowupID: 372951

Reply By: Farside - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 08:34

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 08:34
Dwayne

I mate of mine with a 2000 GU had a similar problem. Nissan first fitted the earth strap at a cost of $100. This did not solve the problem. It turned out the voltage regulator in this alternator was shot and so it was not charging his battery, this in turn was causing his computer to mal function.

Angus
AnswerID: 117641

Sponsored Links