GU Suspension again...Variable springs???

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 19:49
ThreadID: 24178 Views:2099 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Thanks to everyone who has been helping me with these suspension questions. Just one more thing!!! I think!

Variable springs! (is that what the're called) I see some people put different setups back and front sometimes???

Not sure if I have the name right but I'm sure all you 'suspension heads' out there will know what I'm on about.

So what's the go? why do we have them? are they the way to go? or what???

I'm heading down the path of Lovells + Koni's. Is there any reason whay I should consider one of these variable springs?

If someone tells me Lovells ARE variable....I will officially suicide through frustration.

So much stuff so many questions so little time....

Thanks in advance.

I luvsya alllll, luvsya I tell ya.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 21:01

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 21:01
Different setups from front to back... sure. I too have a gu patrol and the springs on the back are stiffer than the ones on the front. I had a quick look through your previous 'questions and replys to' and found nothing relating to what you actually need! Weight considerations should be taken into account when working out what to get. i.e. have you got, or are you going to get a bullbar, winch etc (front), how much weight in the back i.e. long range tanks or jerrys etc.If your suspension place is any good they will ask you this and take it into account when working out what you need. Mine did, and had no dramas yet!(touch wood)
AnswerID: 117454

Reply By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 22:35

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 22:35
G'day Andrew,

You have picked a tough subject to do a crash course in mate, I think you are getting confused, the term 'variable springs' relates to variable load rates on different springs, ie. in general soft, medium or hard.
The springs in the GU for instance are 'soft' designed for mum's shopping trolley duties, and if you put a decent load in, it will feel akin to the titanic after it met with Mr berg, the words 'rock & roll' come to mind. Medium rate springs are for eg. steel bar with winch, roof rack and some normal camping gear for 2ppl or in our case 2 and a bit. Heavy duty springs for utes, dual cab conversions or even wagons that carry 3 full size chest freezers, a 2kva genset with enough fuel for 2 weeks and the kitchen sink.
A lot of people put, for instance, medium rate in the front for an alloy bar and dual batteries and then heavy duty in the rear for reasons mentioned above, hence the "different setups front and rear" quote.
Basically the softer springs will have a softer, therefore more comfortable ride, the heavy or extra heavy duty ones will feel fine when the vehicle is fully loaded but when running empty will feel like somebody replaced your springs with solid rubber blocks. Most spring manufacturers have different rate springs.
Going by your "If someone tells me Lovells ARE variable" quote, I think you may mean 'progressive', not 'variable', which leads into a different kettle of fish known as "progessive rate springs".
These springs also come in different load ratings but are different in that when the spring is in the vehicle with no load, the first inch of of travel, ie. compression, is quite soft for a smooth, comfortable ride, as you load the vehicle up and the spring compresses further it becomes stiffer, and becomes stiffer at each stage of compression untill it reaches it's load rating. Thinking about it, I suppose this could be known as 'variable rate', but more commonly known as 'progressive rate'.
If you are buying the springs second hand then the previous owner may be able to tell you if they are progressive or soft medium or hard, if not , then see if they still have the tag attached with the model number on it and ring the manufacturer, quote the number and they should tell you what these springs are suited for.
If neither of the above provides you with an answer then you have no choice but to take the previous owners word for it ( I'm sure he will tell you they are "just right" for what you want ) or simply take a chance and try them, and if they are no good resell them and purchase a set through a suspension dealer. Either way, I hope the above rant helps you understand the workings of a spring a little more.
Now, when you want to know more about the other, more important, piece of you're suspension, the shocky, ie. rebound, compression, dampening, different weight oils and shims, let me know in advance so I can crash my computer before I even consider typing an answer to that with 2 fingers! LOL

Avagoodn
Pezza

AnswerID: 117470

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 03:41

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 03:41
Good work Pezza...

'Progressive' what what I was looking for. Now I know the question for my suspension dealer.

cheers
FollowupID: 372890

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 10:16

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 10:16
You must also consider whether you intend on putting a winch on in the future etc.
AnswerID: 117510

Sponsored Links