Windsor Rapid (Can it take it?)

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 08:38
ThreadID: 24188 Views:5462 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I own a Jayco Flamingo windup van which we use extensively. We use it for camping over 70% of the time and the rest in a van park.
We towed it through out back Queensland and South Australia with our 4WD. As you all know the roads can be quite rough and demanding. We have never had any failures or misshaps with the van. It has always held up quite well.

Now we want to go to the next step and get a Windsor Rapid or Jayco Expanda.(Or anything else that can fit a family).
I really like the bed system on the Rapid but want to know for your experiences if the Wooden frame of the Rapid can handle this sort of treatment.

Thankyou.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - toohey - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 18:22

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 18:22
gid'ay dave
this is just my opinion,the windsor is a better built van,meranti frame handles stress and flex better than alluminium(rivets can stresswork making the hole bigger,having had a jayco freedom written off from a rear end prang,i was'nt impressed with what i saw,as far as the construction of the frame went.
regards toohey.
AnswerID: 117561

Follow Up By: Off Road Dave - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 18:33

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 18:33
Thanks toohey for the reply.
Yes I have heard the timber is good from Windsor but also heard otherwise.
I have seen video from Kedron Caravans and they showed an older type van that had just fallen apart on the gravel roads due to vibration.
The main failing point was the staples would rust over time and then fall out. The joints would just fall apart.

Just wanted to hear from Rapid owners, good and bad reports. i am not one eyed on this subject or brand. I just can't afford anything like a Bushtracker, Kedron etc. Just need something more than a windup and still be able to accomadate the kids.

Cheers.

FollowupID: 372927

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 19:25

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 19:25
Hi Dave,

I have a Windsor Rapid offroad and have taken it to some pretty interesting places. One trip required both sides to be reskinned and the awning replaced. But apart from the "cosmetic" damage, the rest was fine. I have never had a problem with the cabinet work and reckon its a great van. Its only real problem is its size and weight. Simply too big for the tighter tracks.
!MPG:3!
But as for corrugated gravel roads, it handles these easily in its stride. Click on my rig pic for a few pics of where its been.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 117579

Follow Up By: Off Road Dave - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 19:57

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 19:57
Sounds great. Your pics seem to be exactly what we do.
Why the re-skin? What happened?
FollowupID: 372940

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 20:39

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 20:39
Basically too big a van for too tight a track. Had every roof clip, antenae, powerpoint, indicators, awning etc broken off. The aluminium sides simply too soft when dealing with tree branches, plus had a branch pierce the side. Nothing against the van, any aluminium clad side van would have had the same issue, reckon even fiberglass would be battling. A Jayco Hawk was along for that trip and it too copped a fair bit of damage. Only true camper trailers should have tackled that particular track, simply too big a van at the end of the day.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 372944

Reply By: Member - toohey - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 05:09

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 05:09
dave
timber frames are screw assembled these days,or they should be,i bought a majestic pop top for this reason.
cheers toohey.
AnswerID: 117636

Reply By: wallypop - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 09:29

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 09:29
hi there i built caravans for 16 years timber and alluminum we had a windsor wincheter for about 6 years driven on a lot of dirt roads and only busted a shock absorber and punchered the watertank easy fix
i wont go past timber frames there all screwed glued and nailed no pop riverts
i now tow a 18 ft brick timber frame ahaha

but thats just me

len
AnswerID: 117649

Follow Up By: Off Road Dave - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 10:45

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 10:45
Well I can't go past that experience. If someone who has built them both and owns one that sounds good.
I gather the Windsor is Screwed and glued, well I hope so.

Cheers
FollowupID: 372989

Sponsored Links