pda/gps

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 16:59
ThreadID: 24195 Views:2596 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
After reading a few posts regarding pda set up for gps I am going to set up a system my self. Looking at various hp ipaq on ebay I am not sure what size proceser is required to run oziexplorer. Do I also need to buy a programe for the pda and one for my laptop and does oziexplorer have metro area maps.Thanks for your input.

Alex
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Robert B (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 17:34

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 17:34
OziExplorer does not come with maps. You must buy them separately, not really sure what your requirements are for metro maps (OziEplorer doesn't do street navigation), but I have the NATMAP Raster 250K for all of Australia and the Sunmap Raster 1:25000 maps that cover some parts of QLD, the Sunmap maps give quite good detail for Brisbane.

Also as I understand it you need OziEplorer for your laptop and then OziEplorer CE for your PDA, you can't get by with just OziExplorer. From reading the OziExplorer website it looks as though any current PDA would run the software OK.

Cheers,
RAB
AnswerID: 117550

Follow Up By: Member - Bob-h(QLD) - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 14:05

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 14:05
Hi Robert B
As an aside, how do you install the Sunmaps Rasters on OE? All my files are *.map, no*.ozf files.
There is a part of the installation screen allowing Natmaps installation, which I used and it worked well.
BobH
FollowupID: 373014

Follow Up By: Pluto - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 14:43

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 14:43
Bob

The ozf files are an OziExplorer proprietory image format that is used by OE and CE.

The .map files carry the calibration information for the image file (any format) they support.

When you open a map in OziExplorer, you are actually opening the .map file, which tells OE where to find the related image.

The Natmap files (*.ecw) are another proprietory image file which carries it's own calibration data. Because of this you can automatically calibrate an ecw file by the following menus: Fale > Import Map > ECW Maps (UTM or Lat/Lon Based Only)

What format do the Sunmaps use? You will possibly be able to import them too.
FollowupID: 373029

Follow Up By: Member - Bob-h(QLD) - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 15:11

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 15:11
Thanks Pluto
All the files I have are *.map type. When I try to openthem from OziExplorer I get the message: "Cannot find the Image File for Map xxxx.map. The Image File recorded for this map is xxxx.ecw".
Then a browse/find etc option. None of the Sunmap files are of type *.ecw, all are *map.
Any suggestions for sorting this out?
Bob
FollowupID: 373040

Follow Up By: Member - Robert B (QLD) - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 15:18

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 15:18
Bob,

The Sunmap files are .ecw. I don't know where they will be on your hard disk but mine are under a directory called "QLD25K-MAPS", you might find them if you search for this.

Cheers,
Rob
FollowupID: 373042

Follow Up By: Pluto - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 15:27

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 15:27
That means the path to the image, in the .map file is wrong.

There are a three ways of changing it.

1) when you get the error message, click on the "Find Image" (I think that's what it's called) button and browse to the drive and folder where you keep the .ecw image file.

2)Use the menu selection: File > Change Image Fale Name, Path & Drive.

3) Manually change the path to suit using your favourite text editor (the .map files, along with all Ozi data files are plain text).
FollowupID: 373044

Follow Up By: Member - Bob-h(QLD) - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 20:09

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 20:09
I probsbly should have started a new thread!!
Thanks all.
I still don't have any of the *.ecw files, they are all*.map files.
Is there any way of converting them?
Thanks for any help
BobH
FollowupID: 373088

Follow Up By: Pluto - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 20:19

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 20:19
There isn't a way of converting them. The .map file is useless without the corresponding image file.
FollowupID: 373090

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 22:21

Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 22:21
Bob, do you actually have the maps? They are very large image files. The MAP files are just reference files as already explained. Search your hard drive for *.ECW files to see what you can find. You may not actually have the MAPS.

If you downloaded the MAP files from OZI, these are in fact only the *.MAP reference files, not the actually map images. Confused yet?

It took me 6 months to figure all this $hit out. You have to "obtain" maps and they aren't that easy to get. You can buy tham and there are some free ones.

Cheers,

Smocky.
FollowupID: 375676

Reply By: Niko - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 18:20

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 18:20
What you have to look at is what software you need before considering what PDA. In the event you choose something like Destinator3 for voice guided street navigation you will need to see the specifications here on this web site for minimum requirements.

OziExplorer is a means to use an image of land that is referenced (such as the NATMAPS Rasterr Maps) by importing it and observing your position relative to that map. OziExplorer can accept the NMEA0183 protocol from a GPS to then put that little dot on the map that is referenced (Co-ordinate referenced).

The great thing about OziExplorer is that is will accept several image formats rather than like Garmin that requires you to use their proprietry software. Garmin's Mapsource CDs consist of Street maps and that is all rather than dirt tracks or bush tracks etc that the NATMAPS have.

AnswerID: 117559

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 18:20

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 18:20
I have a 205 mHz PDA that runs Ozi easily but all the current ones are 400 or faster so they should do it at a doddle, as said above you need to buy the maps for Ozi seperately, and you should also look at Destinator which does autoroute as I understand it. You'll also need a CE version of Ozi as well as the PC one and theyre purchased seperately.

All the best

GWBonz
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 117560

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 18:24

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 18:24
Yes you certainly have to buy Oziexplorer for your PC AND Oxiexplorer CE for your PDA. (don't forget that a free trial version is available). Also the maps have to be converted to a suitable format for the PDA. A free utility that comes on the CD does this for you. The Ozi Explorer site explains this in some detail, but it is not easily understood due to the way that the author has set it out. Having said that, it is not bad once you play around with the program a bit. Both programs have quite good step by step tutorials using a system map that is supplied.

I have a HP Compaq 2210 set up and working nicely with the moving map display. The 2210 (and one or two other PDAs but not all) has two slots for additional memory. The CF slot takes a special miniature GPS (HOLUX 240) and the smaller SD slot is used to store the maps. A 256 card holds about 15 maps.

Here is a list of the equipment I used;

COMPAQ 2210 PDA (around $700 new but can be picked up cheaper)
Oziexplorer software ($95.00 I think - check the site initial trial version is free)
Oziexplorer CE ($35.00 I think- ditto)
HOLUX CF GPS (about $200.00 with external aerial)
Australia NATRAD raster maps on CD ( I paid $90.00 for the superseded CD set)

If you already have a GPS it is possible to link it to your PDA by scratchbuilding a cable. Details are on various websites and costs about $20-$30)

There is a lot of information on the web and there is a very good Australian book that gives you heaps of ideas.

Having just done a trip to remote areas of central Australia, I am not so sure of the real value . I found it just as easy to store some waypoints on my Garmin 2+ that I extracted from the Hema maps and then use either the route function or "Go To" function. This gives you a reassuring relative postion display as you trundle along the track. After all a paper map and signs are generally available. The GPS is only a backup.

Good Luck,

Kings
AnswerID: 117564

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 21:13

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 21:13
Alex

(plug for my ad in the trader section)
the other option is to buy a package comprising GPS and all the maps you could ever need for less than $600. The display on the Sportrak Color is 240 by 160 pixel and extremely sharp and clear. This way you have a standalone handheld which can also plug into a computer to run OziExplorer or Magellan DiscoverAus Streets and Tracks. It is listed in the trader section but send me a member message if you want to find out how attractive the deal is.
AnswerID: 117600

Reply By: DRM (Vic) - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 21:44

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 21:44
pafc

Yes as mentioned by other members above you need Oziexplorer (trial version works fine) for your PC AND Oxiexplorer CE for your PDA...can import maps included own map scans (but these need to be calibrated via only PC version OExp). i bought a highly detailed map sets of city metro areas from www.maptrax.com.au

i also run co-pilot navigational software on same pda no problem, the beaty with this it allows you to select destination addresses direct from your outlook contacts list and give you turn by turn directions to destination.

I have a HP4150 (400mhz -for sale see my trader ad) & new imate smartphone(500mhz) set up and both working nicely with moving map & turn by turn navigational programs.

all maps may be stored on the SD card, pda can connect to an ext gps reciever (or use bluetooth type for wireless) via special y cable which charges and does data (avalable from johnnyappleseed melb.....see...www.ja-gps.com.au)

David
AnswerID: 117610

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 21:09

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 21:09
There are lots of options for software. OziExplorerCE, Fugawe and others. Get a PocketPC and look for the best screen resolution you can afford.

Memory capacity is the next big thing and as you export maps for the PocketPC from the PC you will not be able to carry as much map on the PocketPC as you can on the laptop (over 3 gig of map files on my laptop). I'm still fairly new to this having used a mapping GPS for a few years but I'm going down this track at the moment.

I'll be using an iPAQ hx4700 as it offers full VGA resolution ($740) with a bluetooth GPS receiver ($200ish) in the vehicle and 4wd touring and I'll keep my Magellan Meridian Platinum for geocaching out of the vehicle.

You'll need 12v operating leads for the PDA and the GPS device if you go bluetooth and you'll need a good quality dash or window mount if you plan on 4wding with it. Forget about the flexible desklamp neck style goosenecks for 4wd use. They aren't much chop for anything other than bitumen. Get a RAM mount with the twist action suction cup lock and an appropriate bracket for the PDA you choose.

By the time you add software, bluetooth or SDIO or similar GPS, RAM mount and 12v adapters you will be looking at at least $450-600 above your initial Pocket PC purchase price, then you can either purchase maps, scan your own or trade maps (not that I'm suggesting breach of copyright or anything) with others.

Certainly the mapping GPS option is cheaper (eg. Meridian Gold and DiscoverAUS - especially if you get the GPS from the USA) but both have their place and cover very different purposes.

Dave
AnswerID: 117798

Reply By: Niko - Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 03:40

Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 03:40
Geocacher if you want a quote for the hx4700 with a BT GPS please email this web site.

pfac be aware that you may need to update the OS on the PDA to run some of the current software offerings. Also, many current Vehicle Navigation GPS units such as the Navman or Mio series are as low as 266MHz in processor speed, thus that may be the minimum to consider. I use a HP iPAQ 3900 that has an excellent processor and is good in price on ebay. However, it doesn't have wi-fi but it does have Bluetooth. For city maps maybe consider Destinator3 as found on this web site.
AnswerID: 120454

Sponsored Links