camper security

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 19:58
ThreadID: 24200 Views:2735 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Travelling around Aus for a few months and I'm concerned about security of my camper trailer.

While sight seeing the fold out camper will be unattended and any mongrel can walk straight into and help themselves.

So has anyone got any ideas of securing it unattended.

Shawie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Banjo - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 20:20

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 20:20
Can't come up with any ideas for you however in many years of camping have never lost anything from our tent site. This includes 14 months around Oz in all sorts of places, remote and populated.

Banjo (WA)
AnswerID: 117588

Reply By: Exploder - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 20:38

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 20:38
Yeah get a sticker saying> I Shoot and I Vote and Buy a German Shepard and leave that with the camper.

There is always a risk, if you are remote it is not so bad, but if you set up were other people may pass buy. Anything of Value Generator, light’s Expensive stuff like that try and load into the 4WD when you go off and then just lock the camp up as good as you can but at the same time try to make it look like you have not left for to long.

If you happen to have some trustworthy campers around you at anytime try to sort something out with them if they will be hanging around when you head off, Just make sure you get a good description of them and there vehicle Just encase!
AnswerID: 117590

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 22:19

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 22:19
Yep other campers can come in handy... I eyed off a small group with young children, rolled on over and planted a 6 pack on their esky and announced I needed to buy their services. It caused a few laughs and broke the ice. 20 minutes later we had worked out where and when each other were venturing off and agreed that while at camp, we'd look after each others stuff. 8 years later, we still catch up with them from time to time.
FollowupID: 372962

Reply By: Johnny boy - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 20:42

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 20:42
Giday Shawie.

mate short of a big dog on a long chain you might want to think about secure locks latches and bolts, as for electronic security install a quality car alarm and ask the tech to run a cable to your camper and put reed switches on all your doors and mayby a mercury switch so if the trailer is moved whilst the alarm is active it will activate the siren and a device that will call a mob phone or a pager which might be a good idea as you might not have coverage on yor mob.

just a thought??

Johnny boy.

AnswerID: 117592

Reply By: ev700 - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 20:57

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 20:57
Frankly I've tried everything with a boat trailer, but it only slows the opportunist, amateur thief. I advise you to always carry a good spare, so that you don't leave it unattended beside the road.

Those steel cables are good for locking up some plant and a longer one for cabling the rig to something solid (where possible).
AnswerID: 117596

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 20:58

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 20:58
NOTHING and I mean NOTHING will stop the light fingered brigade from helping themselves ,, the best you can do is chain and padlock all the "good" gear to the camper itself ,, maybe just maybe the a-sh-les wont be carrying a big enough bolt cutter , if treg hitch take bolt with you in vehicle so trailer cant walk as well.
AnswerID: 117597

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 21:16

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 21:16
A good insurance policy gives me peace of mind.

If anything gets stolen, I'll claim.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 117603

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 09:13

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 09:13
A bloody big padlock and heavy chain through one wheel, then around the suspension is my security for the trailer. We take the hitch pin etc with us. We lock all lockable hatches on the camper. We leave nothing of high value there while away. And, it must be said that this is all to guard against itinerant opportunists - it will be of no use against organised thieves. For that, you need insurance. Saying g'day to other campers nearby and making an agreement to keep an eye on things is a great idea !
AnswerID: 117647

Reply By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 10:49

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 10:49
Shawie, I do as most here have said. Make friends in camp grounds, padlock or store the fridge in the car and keep the trailer locked when you venture away from the camp.

Its sad to think that that is what you have to do now but theives know that campers have lots of expensive goodies to relieve them of. Cameras, Ipod, Laptops, mobiles, then all the car related accessories like UHF, gps, etc.

We work too hard to just let these things dissapear. So apart from insurance...I use a large chain and padlock around one wheel and suspension when trailer is parked AT HOME! While travelling, the camper is padlocked to the car through the Treg Pin. Just drill out the hole to accept a decent padlock (with the high sides to stop boltcutters) and it can also be locked IN PLACE when you remove from veh. That way even if a dedicated theif tries to remove your trailer, there is no chance of hooking it upto another vehicle without alot of banging and sawing!! The fact the poly block spins etc makes it much harder to get a grip on it for any dedicated removal work!

Goodluck with your security, with a little awareness and not paranoia you can have a safe trip and bring back mosrt of what you started with!

Matt.
AnswerID: 117658

Sponsored Links