Buying a Canoe

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2422 Views:7493 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have 'canoe knowledge'?

I have decided to buy one. The three that I am looking at are; Pioneer, the Kookaburra and the Australis Swagman.

Does anyone have 1st hand knowledge of any of these?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Thursday, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:00
Have you looked at the Coleman Canoe and Scanoe.
Worth a look. I borrow my friends at times, or go with him, and it is a great canoe and light weight.
AnswerID: 8795

Reply By: flappan - Thursday, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:00

Yeah, I would look at the Colemans first. IMO these are the best.

My dads had a Coleman for just on 20 years, same style as the newer ones, but the newer ones are lighter and have better floating ability (can't spell the other one).

Whilst you may go back to the others at least have a look at these.
AnswerID: 8797

Reply By: Slunnie - Thursday, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:00

Not sure of the brand names, but we use the tupperware ones over fibreglass because they are teenager proof! Longevity is the name of the game.
Regards
Slunnie
AnswerID: 8808

Follow Up By: Truckster - Thursday, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:00

Theres a place in Carrum Downs Vic that makes the plastic ones, I think they would travel better too.

He makes Kayaks as well, and said to come take one out for the morning, and see what I think of it before buying it...

Not bad, very trusting too.....
FollowupID: 4332

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Thursday, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:00

We also have some small plastic kyakes that we have used in some small rocky rapids. These also bounce back well, depite all that weight on the rocks. I suspect that this will break them though.
FollowupID: 4334

Reply By: Blackie - Friday, Nov 22, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 22, 2002 at 01:00
The Coleman canoes are made from some new material that bounces back to shape if whacked but I've seen a couple of things that were supposed to be unbreakable.
Your local fibreglass factory probably has a mould and could make you one to suit your needs. Anyone can repair a fibreglass canoe.
AnswerID: 8834

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Friday, Nov 22, 2002 at 01:00

The Coleman canoes have been made from the same material since they were introduced.
You don't take that style of canoe rapids, and they are easily repaired by a plastic welder if you were unfortunate enough to punch a hole.

I have never seen a canoe made in fibreglass of the excellent design of the Coleman canoes. For a start they would not be as light or as tough.
FollowupID: 4355

Reply By: dave - Friday, Nov 22, 2002 at 01:00

Outdoor education centres and school use a wide variety of canoes, the majority in SE Qld seem to use "Rosco" brand fibreglass or their new "roylex" (or something like that).
We have 14 Rosc 14ft canoes, they are used by kids from year 2 up to seniors. They have been to all sorts of places and done all sorts of things. Those that are suggesting that fibreglass canoes are not suited to rapids are correct, however ANY open deck craft is unsuitable for rapids.
If your in the market for something to tackle rapids, rather than lazily paddling or fishing then you should be looking for a kayak.

To those who endorse colemans, I don't understand the attraction.

I'm not sure of rosco have a website, but if you can get intouch with them you will be very pleasantly surprised at how good/versatile a fibreglass canoe can be. They are in Lutwyche, Brisbane.

Those of us in the business use canoes on a daily basis and they cop a fair old hiding, I've never had reason to complain about fibreglass.

That's my opinion
AnswerID: 8840

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Friday, Nov 22, 2002 at 01:00

The attraction to Coleman Canoes is the design, stability, space, and lightness of the canoe. I am not a frequent canoe person, however have been using various canoes for more years than I care to remember. Out of all the canoes I have used, I would vote the Coleman easily number one in all areas. I probably go canoeing 3 to 5 times a year with friends. The one guy has a Coleman Scanoe with a 5hp outboard on the back, and it is just magic. It sure moves and covers some ground, but is still great for paddling and getting in the snags for fishing. I have contemplated buying one of them an an outboard.
FollowupID: 4361

Reply By: rodeoowner - Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00
Does anyone know how much the Coleman is? My local camp store doesn't stock them. Fibreglass generally seems to be about $300 cheaper than plastic for the same size.
AnswerID: 8867

Sponsored Links