TAFE 4x4 course in WA (Perth)

Submitted: Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 17:00
ThreadID: 24231 Views:5040 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hiya,
I've just finished cleaning the 4x4 (2000 Challenger) after spending Sunday out the back of Mundaring doing a 4 wheel driving course. Thought I'd report back on what it was like.

Run by TAFE and the training's led by Darren Bryne - Website is TAFE 4x4 courses they cost me $145 each (Sand and All Terrain courses).

From the point of view of someone who hasn't done ANY 4 wheel driving, I thought it brilliant.

They supplied UHF CB's to those who didn't have them so they could give instructions on the road, like how to approach what was coming up, what gears to use and where to set your wheels etc. For the All Terrain course it was out the back of Mundaring and the Sand course was past Wannaroo. If you can time your courses for good weather its probably a good idea. BYO lunch picnic out bush somewhere along the way.

The terrain probably wasn't hugely challenging to anyone seriously into it, but some of it looked pretty damn narly to me. The stuff taught on the course was the much the same as I'd read in some magazines and books but reading it in a book is one thing, doing it is a whole different ball game. Made a lot more sence getting told, then shown how to do it right. Best of all with two instructors in decent vehicles on hand if Ibleeped it up there was plenty of help right there (or in the vehicle with us if it was particularly tricky bit to get over).

At the lunch break Darren brings out examples of the right (and wrong, and why) stuff to have in your basic recovery kit and then talk about the right and wrong way to do various recovery techniques. We saw a demonstration of a snatch recovery.

The course numbers are limited. There were 8 students and 2 leaders on the 2 courses I did. You can bring along as many as your vehicle can carry, but officially its only the driver they're training.

I reackon it was really bl**dy good value, even if you only look at it as a chaperoned day out 4x4'ing. Considering wear and tear on their vehicles I doubt they are making much, if any money out of it.

At the end of each day (officially 4pm, but was past 5.30pm on both courses before we headed home) I had a huge grin on my chin and a TAFE certificate to prove I was there. Worth every cent.

t0me

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 17:38

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 17:38
Best thing you could've done if your new to the scene.

Unfortunately there is no course to kick the habit...but who of us want to!!

Cheers,

Chris.
AnswerID: 117751

Reply By: Member - t0me (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 16:25

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 16:25
I should have said in the original post. I'm not affiliated with the course, or TAFE in any way shape or form. Just someone who went on it, and thought it was good value.
AnswerID: 117924

Follow Up By: Jack0 - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 00:59

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 00:59
G'day Tome, Paul (You were behind me for most of the course) here took your advise and looked atthis site very good going on sand course in Sept

Paul J
FollowupID: 373893

Sponsored Links