Kenya

Submitted: Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 17:56
ThreadID: 24232 Views:1714 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Well we made it. 5000km from Jo'burg to Nairobi and only two flat tures! Anybody coming to Kenya please pull in for a beer.

Trip report: http://www.elphick-pooley.co.uk/htm/kenya2005.htm
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 18:19

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 18:19
I haven't yet looked at your trip report, but I will in due course.

Tell me, how many border checkpoints do you have to go through for this trip? I have read that whilst travelling in your country, the idea of camouflage on your car, and equipment, like if it was from an army surplus store, is a big no-no. Is this correct?

Take care...

Wolfie
AnswerID: 117759

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 18:21

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 18:21
Sorry... when I said your country.... should have read South Africa... whooops!
FollowupID: 373076

Follow Up By: bundubasher - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 19:19

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 19:19
To answer your question: Mil gear used to be frowned on by most southern african governments but they've eased up on that and so Mil Spec Jerrycans, kitbags, ammo boxes etc are OK and lots af Af kids wear camo these days. Having a camo vehicle is another matter if you don't get shot up you can at least expect to be stopped by every punk kid & penniless policeman with an AK from the Cape tp Cairo!

I've only traveled as far north as Keya so far but I do hear that things can get a bit hairy further north especially with the Shifta (bandits) up on the Somali border.
FollowupID: 373211

Reply By: Willb - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 22:31

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 22:31
Hi, fastinating reading, filled in quite a lot of time reading about your trip. And we think we in Oz have to deal with a few problems.
I would rather deal with a few way ward Roo's then a AK47.
Will
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 117815

Reply By: bundubasher - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 19:09

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 19:09
Actually my country is England but I'm am married to a Zimbabwean and will be getting my residency there sometime in the near future. Otherwise Nairobi is a dump...

If it wasn't for the UN and all the NGOs and aid organisations this city would have collapsed years ago.

The roads are in a bloody awful state of repair and people bleep and spit all over the place - they just don't give a damn!

Massive piles of refuse litter the outskirts of the city and it seems that most people get there driving liceneses free with a packet of ugali.

For all it's bad reputation, we've experienced no crime yet (although my wife's boss got mugged at gun point last week - then again he does drive a LandRover and that labels him as having more money than sense!).

We're only in Kenya due to the current situation in Zim otherwise we'd be at home in Bulawayo, but please remember my offer - if any of you okes is coming out this way, there's a bunk and a beer waiting for you!
AnswerID: 117948

Sponsored Links