Best 100 Series suspension upgrade????

Submitted: Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 21:18
ThreadID: 24240 Views:3365 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, went crazy on the weekend and bought a shmicko 100 series Landcruiser (couldn't afford not too for the price!), 4.5, 5 speed, live axle, dual fuel, full service history, alloy bar, hayman reese etc to park next to my trusty GU. This one's a real plum, one fastidious lady owner literally!

I will pick it up soon and want to upgrade the suspension a.s.a.p. Looking for a 50mm lift. I'll be carrying a bit of gear in it too - tools, fridge etc. It must handle well on road as well as off road. I'll be doing a lot of km's in it so I don't want vague steering or a sea-sickness inducing rolling feeling etc. Practical is the go here.

From actual experience, what is the pick of the crop for 100 Series suspension? Kings and Koni's, Lovells, OME, Bilsteins ????? Steering dampers too?

By going up 50mm, will I need a castor kit and if so what is the best brand to get?

Also, has anyone Unichipped a 4.5 Toyota engine running dual fuel? What do ya reckon?

Thanks in advance everyone. Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: fatz - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 12:30

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 12:30
On personal experience, king springs are pretty good. Dont use ranchos, mine are stuffed and have never done any hard work. Just bought a set of tough dog 45mm foam cell, so we'll see how they go.

Mick
AnswerID: 117881

Reply By: BenSpoon - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 20:44

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 20:44
The best all round set I came across was an OME kit. I dont think I've ridden one so smooth since, and that was a 50mm lift. It worked a treat on the road and off- the only time I gotbleepoff with it was at speed on stretches of pilbara tracks made of round rocks between baseball and bowling ball size- I stuck ranchos on for this but would certainly lean toward OME for a more road-friendly setup.
Steering damper: the 4-way suspension (thru Opposite Lock) return to centre one has done me well, and it certainly helps with 33"s on the bus.

Unichip on a dual fuel... Unless you can switch between a petrol and LPG setting, I'd be wary. There are different ideal tunings for each. One ECU I came across was a wolf 3D- I recall it was made with dual fuels in mind and could be switched between settings.
AnswerID: 117960

Reply By: Old Bushie - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 02:57

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 02:57
Gday V8

I have just sold my 100S 4.5 GXL Auto. It was fitted with ARB Bullbar, Warn XD 9000 winch, full drawer system in rear etc. Most of the time I was at abt 3000kg with big trips over max weight.

It had BFG All Terain 265/75 16's and it was my 3rd Landcruiser and the first with coil springs.

I fitted OME springs and shocks (approx 50mm lift) and retained the original steering damper. (No castor kit as ARB advised not necessary).

I travelled 100,000km and found the suspension set up great (comfort, handling and ride height) with lighter loads, loaded to the gunnels or towing my 1400kg boat or a Kimberly Kamper. Many of those km were on trips such as the CSR, Geraldton to Birdsville via the deserts, Kimberleys, eastern Pilbara or towing in heavy sand.

There were no maintenance issues with the suspension or wheel alignment and very good tyre wear. I have sold the vehicle to a friend and it is still going strong on the same type of trips.

The vehicle did "roll" more and would not "point" as well as my previous leaf sprung (fitted with Ultimate Suspension) Landcruisers but that's coils I guess. The comfort was worth it. I have an IFS 100S now and even with OME fitted I miss my live axle with OME every time I load up or get off the blacktop.

Regards
AnswerID: 117999

Sponsored Links