Reversing Sensors

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 09:51
ThreadID: 24250 Views:6816 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
My Ute is very difficult to see out the back of when reversing. I have fitted a beeper and would like a sensor that emits a warning tone when approaching an object.
I know there are various brands and prices available but which one to buy? Anyone out there who can offer some advise on brands, prices and performance (as far as accuracy and sensitivity in detecting smaller objects).
Thanks in advance.
Scooby
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 10:05

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 10:05
Hi Scooby
I can not comment on the sensors but if you are driving in confined ares what about a rear view camera
Just a thought
Ray
AnswerID: 117861

Follow Up By: chris_legend_25 - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 10:12

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 10:12
Actually, any info on reversing cameras would be appreciated.

We have driven past polaris a couple of times, and see that they are selling complete reversing systems for $348 which includes a 7" monitor (from memory). We have been contemplating this, but are not wanting to be the first to take the plunge.
FollowupID: 373152

Follow Up By: Member - Scooby (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 10:14

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 10:14
Hi Ray,
Yes, I like the idea of a camera, but there are other issues such as price for a good quality colour system, where to mount the screen, mud/water on the camera lens etc. I thought the sensor would be cheaper and maybe more reliable. Not sure how the sensors are effected by mud and water. I would think thick mud would stop them working but have no experience here.
Scooby
FollowupID: 373153

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 14:00

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 14:00
G'day blokes,
There was some recent info on here about the camera issue/s. John (Vic) was kind enough to offer to approach Poron about their infrared camera set-ups and has got a great group deal for himself, me and one other bloke. I think the price we ended up with is about $300-; just waiting to get mine in the post.
It all started when Wayne (NSW), of Great Divide Tours fame, advised on here that he had just fitted one of these units ("CM60")....see the website ..www.poron.com.au
The unit is well priced as far as I'm concerned. Wayne mounted his camera up high on his roof rack and I'm waiting to hear from his wife about how it is standing up to the rigors of the Canning etc, as he is away at present and she speaks to him via sat-phone every so-often. He mounted his screen where the normal interior mirror usually goes; the screen is a bit bigger than a normal mirror.
I am a bit concerned about the camera being in the weather and will see what I can do about mounting it inside the back door, next to the top brake light......hopefully I can get it in a place where there will be no "bounce" off the window glass. Being an colour infrared camera, I will be able to see at night also and it will keep the kids amused as they watch kenworths bearing down on us from behind; a scary privelige that only I have been able to experience up until now!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 373178

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 10:33

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 10:33
The cameras I have seen for sale have been at the 4x4 shows in Australia.
I do have them on my 24 ton work trucks ( the trucks came with them ) these are of Japanese origin and have been very good 2 years of commercial use.
I would think that the prox sensors would fail if covered with mud .
You would need to ask the question.
Being in NZ I can only offer limited advice.
Ray
AnswerID: 117867

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 11:01

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 11:01
Hi Scooby

I baught a set of sensors from Brisbane Car sound for $130, comes with 2 sensors and a visual display in meters on how far you have to go before you hit something...it's a very small little display that sit on top of your rear view mirror, you can't even tell it's there if you don't look for it. It also beeps faster as you get closer. It's the cheapest insurance I have gotten and I would recommend it to anyone with problems seeing being the car. I will eventually upgrade to a camera system

AnswerID: 117872

Follow Up By: viz - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 12:13

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 12:13
Got them on my work van - great. Want them on my LC100 'cos I canna see the back when backing... Will have to wait for the ARB rear bar first though.

However - was answering the dog'n'bone when reversing one day and backed into a low wall. Smashed the sensors... :( goes to show that phones and cars just *don't* mix!

Yeah I know - they make enough racket when reversing, but I just did not hear it!!!

/viz
FollowupID: 373166

Reply By: Capt. Wrongway - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 11:08

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 11:08
Guys,
Try www.poron.com.au
They sell reversing cameras and prox. detectors at a good price. I've got the 5" set-up which works great.
Regards,
Bazza.
AnswerID: 117874

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 12:13

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 12:13
Bazza if its not to rude, How much was the Poron and was it the CM60 ?
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 373165

Follow Up By: Capt. Wrongway - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 13:47

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 13:47
John,
Mine is the CM56, 5" colour monitor & infrared waterproof camera. This unit does not incorporate reversing sensors. Cost was $395 inc GST less postage.
Regards,
Bazza.
FollowupID: 373177

Reply By: joc45 - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 15:26

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 15:26
Hi Scooby,
I bought a reversing sensor kit from Strathfield in Osborne Park about 18 months ago, cost about $60 for two sensors and a digital display which shows the distance to go (1.5metres down to <0.5 metres). Also gives different beeps for different distances. Works well, if anything, a bit too sensitive. Mud doesn't seem to affect it. Very easy to install - just wire the electronics module onto your reversing light, run leads to each end of the bumper and run a lead up to the front of the car. I've stuck the display up on the rear vision mirror. They even supply a hole cutter for mounting the sensors on the bumpers. They had a cheaper one with stick-on sensors; bit sus, I reckon.
The install instructions were a bit of a giggle tho; Chinese to English translation by microsoft, I think.
Gerry
AnswerID: 117920

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 18:05

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 18:05
Call me old fashioned but I normally use the mirrors when backing.
It's all part of a drivers skill but I suppose some have less of it than others ;-))
Cheers Craig...........
AnswerID: 117930

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 20:35

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 20:35
G'day Craig,
Once again, I would refer you to a post which Wayne (NSW) put up several weeks ago before fitting his reversing camera set-up, which is what I am now in the process of doing too.
I don't think it is so much a matter of driving "skill" as you seem to be inferring. When you have a 4by (or any other vehicle with limited vision to the rear) which has dual spare wheels on the back, storage shelving, fridge/s, air tanks etc....well mate, I can't see anything out the back. In fact I have long ago removed the interior mirror. I use both of my exterior mirrors all the time.
Now, back to Wayne's post................ He told us all about a little experiment he did with his troopy. Try it yourself if you like.
Place a wheelie bin or something about the same size, behind your rear bumper bar and slowly drive away from it. If you have an interior mirror fitted, measure the distance that you've driven when you can first see the bin. If you have no chance of seeing anything with an interior mirror, do the same using only your exterior mirrors. Wayne found that the distance was (from memory) about 25 meters.......this is his "blind spot"......Sorry mate, I don't give a stuff how good you are at reversing using your mirrors, you can't avoid hitting something you can't see in the 1st place.
Once he fitted the camera, Wayne said he was able to reverse right up to the wheelie bin and stop an inch away from it. That was enough for me to outlay my hard-earned ( no comment from you blokes who know please!!!) $$$$$. The safety of my own kids and those of other people is far too important for me to stint on a couple of hundred bucks.
Cheers mate
Roachie
FollowupID: 373215

Follow Up By: Crackles - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 23:32

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 23:32
Roachie. Here's another little experiment. Set your wheelie bin up as you describe then as you drive away turn your steering wheel a little to the right then look out your driver side mirror & you will see the bin appear in less than 5 metres. All of a sudden your blind spot is 400% less. Same reversing onto a trailer. Back up slightly crooked so you can see the draw bar then straiten up at the last. (Can normally put the tow ball within 10cm of the hitch) These are skills that most drivers can easily learn & dare I say probably already have.
I don't disagree that a camera will give a better view but doubt the need to fit items like reversing buzzers, camera's & distance sensors to the average 4x4 are really that nesesary. I suppose if safety concerns were that great then they would already be fitted as standard to all cars like seat belts. Search the forum & you'll also find multiple posts of failures of these gadgets as they often can't stand up to the vibration, dust & moisture.
It concerns me a little that many think that technology is a good replacement for learning a skill.
Cheers Craig........
FollowupID: 373235

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 01:39

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 01:39
Im with Crackles... Thats why god gave you mirrors... Learn to use them well. Maybe having driven trucks for 8 yrs helps, but I cant see why people have so much hassle reversing...

Reversing cameras, buzzers etc may as well have a camera on each wheel too since you cant see 100% exactly where EACH one is going, and may as well have a roof camera cause you cant see the roof, and why not one on the dipstick too to see how the old orl is going...

... but then with 1200000 buzzers, alarms, flashing lights, cameras, how thebleepdo you see the dash or out of the windscreen or know which one is going orf?

and as John says his buzzer we fitted on weekend wouldnt have saved the Rolls he reversed into...

YMMV.
FollowupID: 373237

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 18:37

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 18:37
I have fitted reversing camera in my Toyo 100series. I have actually removed the rear vision mirror completely and now have an 'electronic rear vision mirror' which stays on all the time. The camera lense is mounted inside the back window up by the rear light so is not affected by weather mud etc.
In response to another poster about 'using his side mirrors' the advantage of te camera is 1) I can fill the rear up to the top wth 'stuff' and still have perfect uncluttered view through back window. 2) The camera allows you to see whats DIRECTLY behind you. The side mirrors do not allow that 3) The camera actually 'sees' below the bottom edge of the rear wndow and therefore give me more visual of the area directly behind me. 4) The camera is infra red and allows good night vision
I chose the wireless setup and have a second camera mounted on the rear of my caravan and am able to use the 2 channel reciever to see either the view from the caravan mounted unit or the view from the rear window.
I'm happy with this setup
AnswerID: 117941

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 20:01

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 20:01
Sounds good KA. Is the wireless (infrared) model much more expensive? I probably favour it as I have a Hilux dual cab with canopy. I'd try to mount the camera inside (like yours). Any interference from the van camera over the distance? I guess you don't ever use both camera at once? Is it a switch between cameras or a unplug one and plug the other?
FollowupID: 373214

Sponsored Links