Battery Charging

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 21:07
ThreadID: 24269 Views:2027 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all, On the weekend I thought that I would charge up the second battery(deep cycle) using the Projecta charger. This is the low input version (2.5 amps) hooked up the charger and had the bonnet adjar(spelling). It turns out that the bonnet actually closed further during the day. The result was a short circuit of the battery (the aligator clips touched the the material lining the bonnet and must have also touched the bonnet itself. The material caught on fire or smolded. The battery is RS and the bonnet is up for a new paint job.
Just a reminder to keep the bonnet up when charging batteries and make sure it can't close.

Regards

Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 21:11

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 21:11
A bit of bad luck there mate.

How are the rest of the vehicle's electrics?

What sort of isolator did you have?
AnswerID: 117966

Follow Up By: Boeing - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 21:45

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 21:45
Hi Chrispy, The rest of the electrics appear fine, although being a diesel 60 series, engine electrics are a little bit limited. The main battery powers all the radios, with the second running the fridge etc. with all lines having fuses. The isolator is the tin can type.

Regards

Mark
FollowupID: 373221

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 21:51

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 21:51
Ahh.... my horse for simple "limited" electrics again........ every time I rub the carpet with my shoes in the Jeep, I'm afraid that a static discharge will take out around a dozen ECU's.....
FollowupID: 373222

Reply By: age - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 09:44

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 09:44
I hate alligator clips with a passion for the exact situation you faced. As a solution for all the batteries I use (truck/boat/camper) I run some tinned twin core marine DC cable, connected to the battery terminals at one end and at the otherend I place a two pin polarised socket (cheapie from Dick Smith does the job) and have enough cable to extend out through the grill or past the bonnet. On the end of the battery charger I place the corresponding plug and simply plug into the socket - no shorts ever and really easy to hook up to any of the batteries. Makes it easy for the Camper as I have mounted the socket outside and can just hook the charger up anytime without winding it up. When finished charging vehicle, just retract the cable and velcro/zip tie to other cables near by - too easy
AnswerID: 118012

Reply By: Pluto - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 10:45

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 10:45
Mark,

I have set up for charging similarly to Age. I found that I needed to have the battery charged from time to time, while I was working away and decided to make connecting the charger as simple as I could, for my wife.

I ran leads from each battery to all weather sockets, mounted in the the grill. A coresponding plug on the charger. No need to open the bonnet to fiddle with aligator clips, just plug it in and turn it on. To make it easier still for her, I attached a small length of shock cord to the cable, which could be hooked onto a fastener on the garage wall. If she (or I) forgot to unplug the chargerbefore backing out of the garage, the shock cord would pull the charger plug from the vehicle and safely suspend it out of the way.

This set up has also provided a very handy power outlet on the vehicle for running camp lighting, the portable compressor and a variety of other electrical bits and pieces around the campsite.

It's heaps better than those stupid clips.
AnswerID: 118025

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 15:38

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 15:38
Good one Pluto, I was actually thinking of doing that exact same thing the other day, now I know it works I may put it on my project list.

Currenty I charge the batteries with aligator clips and the bonnet down...
FollowupID: 373272

Follow Up By: Pluto - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 15:49

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 15:49
For good measure don't forget to fuse the lines.

I used Arrid plugs & sockets they have a couple of different sockets with all weather covers on them. You can get them from The 12 Volt Shop, among other places.
FollowupID: 373275

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 15:55

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 15:55
Come to think of it I'm pretty sure I've got a weather proof Hella type 16amp hella plug laying around somewhere that'll do the trick... Yeah I'll run them through the Aux fuse box, otherwise we'll be back to square one again on the saftey side!! ;-)

Thanks Pluto!
FollowupID: 373277

Sponsored Links