79 rv cab chassis wheel + tyre sizes

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 20:37
ThreadID: 24305 Views:2864 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
HI could some one help me with info and sugestions for replacing the new alloys 16x7 and new factory tyres dunlop grand trecks,i pick the new car up in a week or so ,question 1 ,is it worth replacing rims with 16x8? question 2 ,what tyre size would you suggest 285x75x16 ? question 3 is this legal re insurance ect if not a suggestion please also how will this affect the driving and feel of the vehicle ,arb have just done the suspension kit on it
thanking you in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: desert - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 13:32

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 13:32
G'day BLU. Depends on where you are intending to do most of your travelling. If you are a bitumen burner, then it doesn't really matter what size or combo you choose as most major towns can cater for repairs, replacment etc. If you are heading remote outback then stick with 16x7 and 265/75x16. If you want to play in the mud and rocks of the mountains, then a slightly larger 285 will give you some more clearance and "spongy" ride at the expense of response and roll-on acceleration, plus some speedo error.
AnswerID: 118245

Follow Up By: BLU - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 19:33

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 19:33
thanks for the reply desert,the tyres that are on there new are265x 70 if i go to 265x75 how much under diff clearance would this give me any idea? at the moment most driving on black top during the week but many weekend trips planned also trying to decide on tyres i know its a bit of a boring conversation but when you buy a new rig its one of the things youv got to get sorted, was tossing up between coopers ST or BFG AT also like the look of New STT coopers but dont want to be driven crazy with tyre wine /howl any suggestions ?????
FollowupID: 373472

Follow Up By: desert - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 15:37

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 15:37
About 2mm difference in clearance from 70 to 75 section tyres. I'd stay away from BFG's until they sort their problems. The Cooper ST are nice and quiet, the STT is still too new to comment.
FollowupID: 373598

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 23:24

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 23:24
Hi Blu,

Great choice :-)))

Most people I know with TD farm trucks are running 265/75R16 on 7 inch rims. I'm using the Goodyear MTRs.

If you want to go taller, then 285/75, but this will require 16x8 rims (RFA 100series are best), and theres a good chance the rears will hit the tray on full articulation.

Theres a lot of others with the same truck as yours on 70scool (can join via www.lcool.org)

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 119365

Follow Up By: BLU - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 16:53

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 16:53
Thanks Phil
sorry for the delay follow up ,Too many things on the go at the moment the 79 should be ready for pickup next week and im really looking foward to getting away and giving it a workout.
i also joined in at 70scool and i see youve been keeping active yourself your truck looks good
can you confirm if 265x75x16 are legal insurance wise?
can you confirm if its only a couple mm differance under the diff with these tyres?
you also mentioned you were running MTRS Goodyears how are you finding them ??? what is the noise level like on the hwy and around town?
FollowupID: 375043

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 17:25

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 17:25
Hi Blu,

I know what you mean - planning and fitting out the farm truck can keep you pretty busy.

70scool has only been going this year and is slowly building up. Theres not much else out there in forums for the 79series. The TD 79series will no doubt become a very popular vehicle - one went at govt auction a couple of months ago for $48k.

Absolutely no problem with the legality of 265/75R16, as they are the same diameter as the standard 750R16 that most 78/79series come with.

The 265/75 are 25mm greater diameter than the 265/70. So clearance under diff should be about 12mm greater when new.

The Goodyear MTRs have now done 35,000km - 25k on a Prado and 10k on the 79series. They perform very well in the rough stuff - very rarely puncture or chip out - mine have done a lot of trips without any punctures. Mine have 9-10mm tread left, so I expect they are less than half worn.

They are fairly quiet when you first buy them, but as they wear, they will become noisier - we don't find this a problem on the truck. And being an aggressive tyre, they will cost you probably 0.5 l/100k in fuel.

I'd recommend them - they are certainly a stronger tyre than the Coopers or BFG based on experiences on the trips I've been on.

I'm sure you'll have a big grin next week.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 375047

Reply By: BLU - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 17:48

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 17:48
Thanks Phil

the goodyears sound like they may be the go ,i havent seen any adverts for them ? have they been out for a while ? how much should one have to pay do you remember ???
How happy are you with the reversing camera?
Any known down side ? I have also ordered a box for the rear though not fullsize like yours ,i will mount 2 spares behind the cab caged and covered by thick chequerplate alloy then a contoured box approx 1 mtr with fridge slide and 40 lt Engel, then shelving and boxed out , i have left about 1.1 mtr of tray which im thinking of canvasing over alloy frame with zip up windows and flyscreens ,some where to roll out swag in bad weather ? may add an an oz tent out from that if needed and use as utility room ,could leave it set up and go out day tripping then back ute up to the awning when i get back to camp Theres so many options with the tray back every time i think ive got it sorted another idea comes along and ya start all over again
any way that was the reason for asking about the camera
Regards blu
AnswerID: 120179

Sponsored Links