EPIRB...is it worth having?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 22:50
ThreadID: 24308 Views:2731 Replies:10 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Heading across the centre for the next 8 weeks and have the GPS & hired Sat phone from Mt Dare. (CDMA & UHF also) Should we have a EPIRB as well or is this overkill? Further plans include Gold detecting remote WA.
I've search ExOz site for info but with no luck!

Have been told there is a small pocket size unit with replacement batteries available somewhere.

Any help is appreciated.

Trevor
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phillydom - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 23:08

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 23:08
Trev...It all depends on what value you place on your own life and on the lives of those you love....an epirb is not an over kill but a very essential devive to carry with you always...portable and simple to operate anywhere and anytime...remember that german tourist who set one off in western australia...it saved her life and she got stuck where those two other guys perished.
Part with the cash mate cause I don't want to read all about you in the news.
They are cheap insurance!!!!
regards Phil
AnswerID: 118159

Follow Up By: blebatray - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 18:57

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 18:57
Thanks Phill, I value your comments and have ordered the Mt310.
Cheers. Trev
FollowupID: 373463

Reply By: Phillydom - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 23:09

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 23:09
Trev...It all depends on what value you place on your own life and on the lives of those you love....an epirb is not an over kill but a very essential device to carry with you always...portable and simple to operate anywhere and anytime...remember that german tourist who set one off in western australia...it saved her life and she got stuck where those two other guys perished.
Part with the cash mate cause I don't want to read all about you in the news.
They are cheap insurance!!!!
regards Phil
AnswerID: 118161

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 23:22

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 23:22
The CDMA & UHF are fairly limited in outback communication & should NOT be relied on for outside help in remote locations.

The Sat phone is good, but if your going well off the beaten track away from civilisation where nobody might know where you are I'd be opting for the EPIRB as well. What happens if you drop the phone, it fails, your lying down the bottom of a gully, the vehicle goes belly up - there are many scenarios - you have to asses the risk. All part of good managment and planning.

BTW don't forget to have an awesome time also. Safe travells.
AnswerID: 118162

Follow Up By: blebatray - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 19:09

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 19:09
Cocka,
Great Scenarios, I've taken your adise and used the 6 P's.
"Prior Planning Prevents bleep Poor Performace."
Thanks heaps, Trev.
FollowupID: 373466

Reply By: Old Bushie - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 23:54

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 23:54
Gday blebatray

Sat phone or HF radio are your first lines of defence and very handy.

An EPIRB is a must as your last line of defence.

They are cheaper to buy than many GPS (approx $200) and way cheaper than Sat Phones or HF and can really save your life.

You would only use it if the "chips are really down" because it will bring the full weight of the Australian Search and Rescue System into play.

I reckon they should be legally required for even "fairly" remote land travel as they are for boating if you venture more than a few kms offshore.

There are several very light "almost" pocket size EPIRBs on the market. They are better on your belt. Check out the GME MT310 at most 4wd, camping, fishing, radio type stores. The battery is replacable after a 5 year life. Pretty cheap insurance.

Regards
AnswerID: 118168

Follow Up By: blebatray - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 19:30

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 19:30
Much appreciated, Old Bushie.
As you've probably noticed I have ordered the MT310. I do fish and during the next 2 years while doing the Big Block it will be packed before the bait.
I noticed on another Post you fitted OME to your 100Series..As I have the same and intend going fairly remote with the Kedron ATV in tow.. would you recommend this set-up as essential.
Thanks again, Trev.
FollowupID: 373470

Follow Up By: Old Bushie - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 23:05

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 23:05
Gday Trev

Not clear if you have a 100S live axle or IFS. Either way it depends on your loads and where you are going and how often. I cant say "after market" suspension is essential however on all my Landcruisers there are many times I have been very glad it is fitted but I do a hell of a lot of heavy weight, long distance driving on rough, unsealed roads in hot conditions. Try a trip first, you will very quickly know yourself if it is a "must have" and how much modification you require. Load carrying capabity will be your first issue. Depending on your use you may get away simply with airbags but you can only ask airbags to do so much.

If you have an IFS then there are limits to the improvements you can make.

Regards

Re the many after market suspension choices: all I can say is 100,000km of which 70,000km was as described above and I found OME springs and shocks were great in all aspects on my live axle Landcruiser. That is why I have chosen OME for my new IFS Landcruiser.
FollowupID: 373504

Follow Up By: blebatray - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 23:05

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 23:05
Thanks once again Old Bushie.
The 'cruiser has IFS and as suggested will test it out with towing the ATV (2800Kls Loaded) in the rough before fitting OME's.
What a wealth of knowledge this site provides!
FollowupID: 373666

Reply By: signman - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 08:47

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 08:47
G'day Mate
I'm off on the Anne Beadell , Connie Sue & Gunbarrel Hwys, I do have HF radio- but purchased EPIRB last week - just in case. It was $198 from BIAS boating- I think they have branches all over the place.
It's one of those things (like a spare tyre) you have you never have to use.
It depends how 'desolate ' the area is where you are going?? Is there likely to be a vehicle along in half a aday??
The smaller pocket size is for personnal crew usage- a bit dearer but the MT310 is more than good enough.
Have a great trip.
AnswerID: 118193

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 18:29

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 18:29
you got a 406mz for $198?
FollowupID: 373461

Follow Up By: blebatray - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 19:40

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 19:40
Yeah Signman, $198. Don't seem to have a BIAS in Coffs Hbr, so have ordered one for $244 as time is now of the essence.

We are travelling this 8 weeks trip with 5 other couples but with your advise, at least one of us will have that safety net.
It's going to more than necessary when Lady Di & I head into the wild blue chasing that rainbow!!!

Your trip sounds great, enjoy. Trev
FollowupID: 373473

Reply By: Member - Banjo The First (SA) - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 09:07

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 09:07
Yep - if travelling solo the epirb would be a good idea - the satphone is essential in the absense of HF - the CDMA and UHF should be discounted totally from a safety point of view. If travelling with a group, a shared basis satphone and HF might push the epirb out of the picture.
AnswerID: 118200

Follow Up By: blebatray - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 19:42

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 19:42
Thanks Banjo, we are travelling in a group but now with all the safety gear.
Love the office. Trev
FollowupID: 373474

Reply By: Member - Matt- Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 11:03

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 11:03
Hi Trevor, I do a bit of prospecting, WA, and try to get well away from the mob. This leaves you in remote areas with less chance of some one driving by to help you, as you find on the main routes. When leaving the camp I'll mark it as a waypoint on the gps, then if I'm with my partner, we'll have uhf on so we can keep in touch as we go our separate ways detecting, a good umpires whistle is handy as well for letting some one know where you are, but always in the back pack is the epirb. With a partner and uhf there shouldn't be a problem if you say break a leg or some injury or condition where you cant move. But if this were to happen when solo and you couldn't get back to hf or sat phone in the vehicle, the epirb could be used, obviously as last resort. With these units in your pack as you go detecting, you should have confidence to concerntrate on digging up nuggets and not just hover around the vehicle, always keeping it in sight for fear of getting lost. ALWAYS HAVE SPARE BATTERIES FOR GPS ON YOU! They can some times chew them up pretty quick. Just a quick scenario, you're detecting and get a nice mellow signal, so out with pick and start digging, signal still in hole so you spin 180 degrees around the hole and keep digging, signal still in hole, its gotta be gold, your hearts racing, turn 90 derees around hole, head down all the time digging for your riches, out it comes, a nice little nugget. After catching your breath and a little celebration, you look up and think, what bloody direction did I come from??? Learn to use the gps, some of the gold feilds scrub is very decieving. The epirb in the pack is the final fail safe, happy detecting, matt
AnswerID: 118218

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 01:44

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 01:44
surprised more people dont die in the goldfeilds as it is not on the tourists radar there are many places to go without any chance of seeing anyone. Spent 70 days out bush last year and saw no one apart from the major access tracks. gps is essential to walk anywhere as you can walk 20 meters past your vehicle and not see it (on a good day) usually there are no landmarks for referance. As for goldfilds scrub being decieving - you betcha you ca´nt see the horizon or landmarks and 1 dozen trees looks like the next dozen. no shortage of tracks to nowhere
FollowupID: 373517

Reply By: blebatray - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 19:48

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 19:48
Matt your vivid pictures of all that wealth has me in a fever. Can't wait !
I do appreciated the tip of extra batteries for the GPS.
Had the experiece on Swains Reef recently when my Sons & I hit the Big Reds only to find the batteries were flat!!!!
Hope to catch up on the track somewhere.
Regards Trev.
AnswerID: 118295

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 23:11

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 23:11
Is there honestly such a thing as overkill when it could save your life?
AnswerID: 118333

Reply By: neilvin - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 12:19

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 12:19
We never leave the bitumen without a epirb in the glovebox or fishing, without one in the tackle box. Cheapest life insurance arround !
Neil
AnswerID: 118396

Sponsored Links