Help for the mechanical/technically challenged

Submitted: Friday, Nov 22, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2431 Views:1525 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Help please!
I might sound really stupid to some but I need help with installing a fridges isolator self installation kit.
The instructions say to connect to something that runs off the ignition like the power lead for the wipers or the like.How do I do this ?
Where do I find this wire or another like it?If i find a suitable wire can I just cut a bit out and and the new wire in?
Vehicle is a GQ patrol and any help / suggestions greatly appreciated - even if you wish to add a bit about me being really stupid !
Thanks all. Pete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Friday, Nov 22, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 22, 2002 at 01:00
Pete, what worries me, is will you have enough competence to get to the next part after sorting out your question. These modern vehicles with all their electronics are most particular about voltages and currents.

What method are you going to use to terminate the wires?

What brand of kit is this? Can you scan a low res picture of the diagram and stick it on a website somewhere?
AnswerID: 8843

Reply By: Truckster - Friday, Nov 22, 2002 at 01:00

Do you need a power wire?? is that the question???
AnswerID: 8844

Reply By: Eric - Friday, Nov 22, 2002 at 01:00

Pete.
The simplest way for you to get the conection you nead is to look at the fuse box, you will find a group of fuses that supply items that come on with the ignition. If you unscrew the fuse assembly and look behind it for a vacant brass tag on one of ignition related fuses then put a crimp conector on your wire and just push it on the brass tag. Be carfull not to run the wire over any sharp metal edges that could rub a hole in the insulation and cause a short cct.
If there is no vacant brass tag you can cut a little bit off the insulation of you chosen wire and then solder you new wire on. Be sure to connect to the side of the fuse that goes to the wiper or other cct. the side of the fuse that is connected to the ignition switch has a brass strap across the group of fuses, you want the other side.
Good luck, Eric.
AnswerID: 8853

Follow Up By: Pete - Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00
Many thanks Eric, fridge & isolator now up & running properly.
All i needed was to be pointed in the right direction.
Your prompt & intelligent reply greatly appreciated.
All the best ,Pete
FollowupID: 4412

Reply By: Truckster - Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00
Remember no such thing as a Dumb question....

The dumb ones are ones that dont ask questions and then bleep something up, and complain about that $5000 computer in their car!
AnswerID: 8863

Reply By: Janset - Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Pete.
I too am concerned over this question and I am very glad that you were clever enough to ask before hacking wires.

When you are told to connect to the ignition power lead, what they didn't say was make sure that you do not tap into any essential components needed for your vehicle.

By essential components I include the wipers, flashers, brake lights etc., these are all necessary to safe and legal vehicle usage.

While it may be suggested you use the wiper circuit I disagree, do not use this wire because if you do something wrong you have negated a essential component.

I do not know how your vehicle is wired but the safest one to tap into in most cases I find is the Cig lighter. It carries a reasonable heavy fuse and no essential components are connected to it.

If the component you intend to use uses a lower amperage fuse than fitted to the cig lighter then it is merely a matter of fitting an in-line fuse to the required size.

I full well agree that you should be familiar with all the workings of your vehicle including the electrics, but if this simple procedure causes you concern then I would rather that you either saw an Auto sparky or get a friend who is more conversant with vehicle electrics and get him to help, explain and talk you through a connection.

Regards
AnswerID: 8868

Follow Up By: Pete - Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks for your help Janset.Fridge & isolator now connected successfully.Although I did connect to the wiper wiring , I think I'll take your advice & change to the cigarette lighter.
Many thanks , regards Pete
FollowupID: 4413

Reply By: Janset - Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00
Your welcome Pete. The last thing you want is a wiper failure in the middle of a rain storm in the middle of the night in the middle of now where.

Was that over the top as a example? LOL

Regards
AnswerID: 8931

Sponsored Links