UHF CB TX472s

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 11:00
ThreadID: 24370 Views:7425 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

I have just been given a GME UHF TX472s by a friend as he has updated to the newer model.
I was going to set it up in my house only for something to listen to on rainy days but it needs a Mic (found one for $32.00)....i have found what i think is a small UHF aerial with adjustable tip on it.
I did a bit of reading up about them and some say that they are a very "Deaf" UHF and that they werent even good for an anchor ...i just wanted to know if it was worth even buying the mic and setting it up??
I just figured it was free and $32.00 didnt seem like a lot of money to dish out to get it up and running.....but if im not going to hear anything then why bother???.
I live in Esperance W.A by the way.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 11:47

Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 11:47
Gday Chris,Ive got 3 of them and can tell you that theres nothing wrong with them at all.My sets are now about 15 years old and going strong.Looked at updating them a couple of years ago and was talked out of it by an electrician.Weve only had one drama between three sets and it cost about $40 to fix,apparently the newer ones are so much smaller and compact that there very expensive to work on if any thing does go wrong.
AnswerID: 118532

Reply By: AussieChris - Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 15:44

Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 15:44
G'Day Nick

Thankyou very much for the info.....just went out and bought a Mic for it and all seems to work fine so far......Apart from the aerial not being a UHF (AM one) so just need to buy a aerial .....was told that is the fun part trying to find one that works well.
Im going to use it as a base station for now .....The house is probably on the biggest hill in Esperance so was thinking of mounting it on the gutter of the house.....any handy tips i need to know to get a good reception at all???
Also bought a GME power supply (PSA123) and wondered if the scan function and the memory would be fine using the power supply or would the memory be erased everytime i turned the power supply off??
Thankyou again for the info.

Chris
AnswerID: 118551

Follow Up By: Michael Carey - Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 18:45

Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 18:45
The scan memory in the TX472S needs power to keep it alive. IIRC, there should be a seperate, yellow wire that is designed to be connected to permanent power (in case the normal power is connected through an accessories circuit), in your case if you turn your power supply off, your scan memories will be erased.
Don't try to transmit through a 27 MHz antenna, the set won't like it at all. It will receive, but not as well as a proper UHF antenna....
FollowupID: 373726

Reply By: AussieChris - Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 19:45

Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 19:45
Hi Michael

Thankyou for your input. I was told today by the local electronics store that transmitting using a AM antenna and not a UHF one wouldnt do that much harm?
Im not transmitting too often just for the quick radio check to make sure its working OK..(I know i wont be getting as clear signal until i buy a UHF antenna)....will that still damage the radio?

Many Thanks

Chris
AnswerID: 118569

Follow Up By: Paul&Terri - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 17:26

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 17:26
Chris,
I would definately invest in a UHF antenna. You can liken what you are doing to having a pump with a 5inch pipe outlet and affixing a 3 inch pipe to it. This will create back pressure into the pump which it was not designed for. The same is for your radio, with the wrong or no antenna power is reflected back into your radio and continuous use will degrade and ultimately destroy your radio, particularly with older models.
Cheers
Paul
FollowupID: 374751

Follow Up By: AussieChris - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 09:25

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 09:25
Hi Paul

Thanks for the input. I went out and bought a $30.00 4.5db antenna from dick smith and all seems nice and clear around town.
Will look at updating to a base station antenna when i have the $$$.
Thanks again for everyones help.

Regards

Chris
FollowupID: 374812

Sponsored Links