GPS

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 18:27
ThreadID: 24377 Views:2371 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all my first post, I am thinking of buying a GPS and would like one that shows the route through a town for large vehicles, I have never owned a GPS before so I am a little unsure what make and model to choose, any ideas and suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks Pete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 21:09

Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 21:09
The only street directory programme I am familiar with is Magellan Streets and Tracks. While it doesn't actually say 'this is the heavy vehicle route' the major roads are highlighted and are a different colour to the minor roads. They are also named. It is pretty clear as you drive along which are the main roads. I'll see if I can post a section of one of their maps.
AnswerID: 118583

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 22:21

Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 22:21
Peter
Click on the map to the left of my name to get an idea of Magellan DiscoverAus. That is the main drag of Alice Springs at an intermediate zoom setting. It looks much clearer on the GPS screen.
FollowupID: 373740

Reply By: Pluto - Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 23:00

Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 23:00
Pete,

Are you looking for a GPS with mapping capability, or one that also will automatically generate the route?

If the latter, you will probably need to enquire with Sensis about the Whereis maps and thier capability for identifying trucking routes. Most GPS Units that are auto-route capable use the Whereis maps. Such as, Garmin, Navman and PDA software like Destinator. Wheather any of these brands specifically support any truck route info is another question again.

Try having a look at the specific GPS unit and software manuals. Most manufacturers heve the manuals on their websites for free download. It's the best way to find out what a particular model can and can't do. If you ask a question like that of a sale rep, they may not have a clue, so you need to be able to confirm their answers.
AnswerID: 118595

Reply By: Member - TonyG (Qld) - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 08:39

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 08:39
Hi peter,

I went down this path about 18 months ago.

I decided to go with a laptop setup, gps mouse, oziexplorer, various maps, and co-pilot navigation software.

I decided on this setup as I wanted the following:

1. A screen that was big enough to see whilt driving. I formed the opinion that the screens on the gps units were too small.
2. Not restricted by the amount of logging data that can be stored. (I understand the different gps units have various size memory for storing waypoint etc)
3. I can review my stored data of an evening, and help plan for the following day.
4. Added advantage of being able to store digital photo's and digital video fottage taken during trips onto the laptop, thus having no limitations on quantity of photo storage or video storage.

I also looked at the cost of each setup, and I concluded:

1. Cost of a decent gps is approx $1200, whereas 2nd hand laptop for $600-$900.
2. Gps mouse purchased on ebay for approx $70
3. Maps and software for either laptop or gps is about the same.
4.Laptop has better ability to store numerous maps simultaneously, and whilt on route you can cross over from map to map if desired to view infomation on loacation and nearest points of interest.

I guess at the end of the day it is what ever suits you best.

Happy hunting

TonyG

AnswerID: 118606

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 14:08

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 14:08
Peter,
I agree with most of what Tony says, and I run a laptop in the car, as well as having a hand held GPS.
As for cost I have a Magellan Sportrak Color plus maps advertised in the trader section for $600 (neg). You won't find a cheaper way to start off. Later you can connect the GPS to a laptop (the cable is included) and you already have the maps.
FollowupID: 373794

Reply By: peterjs - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 07:55

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 07:55
Thanks to all for your reply’s, I have a bit more idea now than before, Thanks Pete.
AnswerID: 118722

Sponsored Links