another radiator one on a 1hz

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 21:13
ThreadID: 24380 Views:2008 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
evening all, my one has a new radiator about 18 months ago also but it is running hot when up around 100/110 kph on a warm day isn't the thermostat as it would be all the time am i right, i wondered about the fan clutch . any ideas, thanks in advance
peter d
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 120scruiser - Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 21:27

Saturday, Jul 02, 2005 at 21:27
It isn't the fan clutch as it usually only works up to about 60km/h.
The faster you go the hotter it gets usually means coolant flow. Maybe the thermostat is stuck open. I would start there.
If it gets hotter the slower you go, such as idling around town, that would mean air flow like the fan clutch.
Definitely coolant flow.
Either thermostat stuck open or water pump impellar corroded away. (highly unlikely but I have seen it before).
I would get the new radiator serviced. During a service they take the tanks off and put cleaning rods through each tube to clear any blockages. While the radiator man is doing that remove thermostat housing and flush with the hose continuously into the block. Also take a heater hose off at the tap and flush both ways through there with heater controls on hot. Put in a new thermostat and serviced radiator and you will be apples. Don't forget coolant and test for stray current with a volt meter.
I would be very surprised if your radiator isn't blocked or partially blocked.

Cheers
120s
AnswerID: 118585

Reply By: Horacehighroller - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 00:54

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 00:54
G-day Peter,

When the engine is cold (first thing in the morning) check the fan and ascertain how hard it is to turn by hand (with the engine NOT running of course) - It should be firm ish.

After starting & running/driving for 5 minutes (so coolant definitely not over HOT) stop engine and again turn by hand - Should be loose such that you can actually spin it.)

When engine is working hard and VERY hot (such as described in your post) again perform the same test. Should be as hard or harder to turn than original test.
If it spins easily the hub can be re-charged with product available from Toyota.

Good Luck, Peter L
AnswerID: 118602

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 04:39

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 04:39
with the motor running warm quickly pull over on the side of the road and pop the bonnet stick your arm inside the window and shut it off and watch the fan. when the motor stops it should turn no more than once , if it keeps spinning it needs atention and I can tell you how to do that. dont waste your time doing it when cold - it tells you nothing
FollowupID: 373756

Follow Up By: Horacehighroller - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 17:54

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 17:54
Davoe, the only reason for doing it cold is so a novice can get an idea of firm & loose (how long is a piece of string?)

That being said - your way is much easier!

Peter L
FollowupID: 373810

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 21:25

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 21:25
Pete
the fan hub looses its viscous oil for some reason....it is a real common problem... that only shows itself when you work the motor enough to get it hot (towing up hill or pushing it along at 110)
Another way to check the clutch fan is to put cardboard in front of the rad and idle up...watch the temp climb...at about half, the fan should cut in with a whirring noise...if it doesnt, a trip to Toyota with some money will get you two tubes of silicon oil. Use both in it.
Andrew
AnswerID: 118685

Sponsored Links