17" Tyres Advice for Otback application

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 13:15
ThreadID: 24386 Views:2432 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Tryning to make sense of all the posts - no chance!!.

Need a 17" tyre for:
Outback dirt roads (50%)
Sand (20%)
Bitumen (20%)
Rock (10%).

Not bothered about consumption, price or noise. want something strong, reliable in the bush but is still safe on bitumen.

1 - Anyone had any bad experiences with Cooper ATR?
2 - Anyone had any bad experiences with Cooper STT Armour-Tek?
3 - According to the Goodyear website, the MTR's does not come in 17"?
4 - Anyone had any bad experiences with BFG MT?

Please respond only if you have used your tyres in similar conditions and they are not still new.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: desert - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 13:31

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 13:31
At this stage of tyre development, there is bugger-all options for 17 inch. Sell the 17's to somebody who is not going to leave the city, and swap to 16's, at least you will be able to replace them virtually anywhere.
1. Never used them
2.STT - won't get the mileage they reckon
3.correct
4. Yes I have. BFG have some quality problems at present. I would not and don't recommend them to anybody.
AnswerID: 118628

Reply By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 13:36

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 13:36
Hi,

I'll have a go!

I had 17" Cooper A/T on my Prado for 37,000km over many and varied terrain (Flinders Ranges, Robe to Beachport and Cape York as far as Weipa) and they were great for an all terrain. No Punctures or problems. I did get one small sidewall cut somewhere but it was repairable easily. After 37K they are perhaps half worn out with no chipping or missing lugs and have been put in shed for use on camper trailer and as good spares.

I now have Cooper ATR in LT265/70R17 and find them to be even better. Quiet on the bituman, handle well, god in wet. I have 6,000km on them now including a trip from Adelaide to Oodnadata via hwy and then back via Oodnadatta Track which has a bit of a reputation for killing tyres (sharp stones). At this point there is not a mark on them. I have also tried them in sand on a driver training day. Struggled at 40psi but really chewed up the sand at 20psi (this was actually the whole point of the training day to demonstrate the difference!). Happy with sand performance. I was getting around in L3 and L4 in soft sand having a ball!

Goodyear MTR is avail in US in 17" and I believe there are a few people starting to bring them in - but, no, as far as i know Goodyear themselves are not selling them in 17"s yet.

Cheers
Muddy
AnswerID: 118629

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 15:31

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 15:31
re the rig pic. I understand the fj cruiser is a soft roader in a retro body and is as much of a 4wd as the chrysler pt cruiser is a hot rod
FollowupID: 373800

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 15:42

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 15:42
Yes thanks Davoe!

The rig pic is actually my Prado hitting some mud on the Oodnadatta Track but for some rason I can't update the text on my profile. I have tried numerous times but it won't save.

I used the FJ pic a while ago as it did LOOK good but I doubt I would be buying one.

I emailed the managers about my profile but it did not get fixed.

Cheers
Muddy
FollowupID: 373802

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 16:46

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 16:46
Dear 'Mr Doe'

Could you please tell us ordinary punters how many 'takes' it took to get the mud 'rooster tails' just right for the rig pick.

AND don't even suggest once, because no one will believe you.

Also, who was the 'coota' working the camera.
FollowupID: 373806

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 17:04

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 17:04
Hiya Lucy!

At the risk of hijacking this thread, let me tell you about it.

It had been raining the week before we left and we were a bit apprehensive about what conditon we would find the track to be in. Our fears were groundless as by the time we did the track it was in beautiful condition. Smooth as could be expected apart from the sharp stones (which the ATR's handled no worries) with very little water lying around.

There was quite a bit of surface water beside the track on the flatter parts but the track itself was just that tiny bit moist enough to keep the dust down. Great travelling.

Of course there are always going to be a couple of boggy stretches and we found this one about 100km south of William Creek. We had been going around most of them not wanting to do any more damage to track than required but sometimes you just have to go straight up the guts! A new rig pic was certainly the goal of the exercise.

The others (Brew and Pesty) went through and set up cameras and then I was on. I hit that sucker from a good 500m run-up at about 80 kmph and the mud certainly did fly! It WAS the only take. Pesty and Brew both had the cameras out and Pesty did just brilliantly to get the shot. I now have that shot as my wallpaper on the work computer so that I can look at it through the day to get me to 5pm.

Luckily we hit some heavy rain on the way back into Adelaide which blasted most of the mud out of the undercarriage saving me a huge job. Still took a couple of hours to get it looking respectable again!

Glad you like the pic

Cheers
Muddy
FollowupID: 373807

Reply By: Boesman - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 18:23

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 18:23
Thanks for the response Muddy,
Did you have any issues legal wise with the wheel diameters?
Which mod Prado do you have?
AnswerID: 118657

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 18:52

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 18:52
I have 120 series Prado (current shape) and it comes with Dunlop Grand Trek P265/65R17 highyway tyres. Useless for anything but bitumen.

The LT265/70R17 is an increase of 21mm in overall diameter by the maths calulations. You are only supposed to increase by up to 15mm but this seemed to have been covered under Aust Design Rule 23 or 24 which ceased to have effect on July 1 last year. So far I have not found any rule or legislation that replaces this so as far as I know I am legal. If anyone knows different I am all ears!

In any case I only went this way because the Coopers were only available in 70 series profile. The new ATR is available in a LT265/65R17 size to suit the Prado although I am unsure on availability.

Cheers
Muddy
FollowupID: 373818

Reply By: cmilton54 - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 20:18

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 20:18
265/65R17 ATR Cooper available ex stock now
Have fitted both sizes to customers 120 Prado`s
Cheers
Charlie
AnswerID: 118983

Sponsored Links