3l td patrol mystery power loss

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 20:40
ThreadID: 24398 Views:4206 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently had a strange problem occur with my 04 3l td patrol manual, and hope someone can give me some advise as to the cause.

On merging into freeway traffic the vehicle maintained and even increased engine speed, but at the same time lost road speed. At first I thought that the clutch must be slipping, so once I got the vehicle safely off the road couldnt smell any indication of slippage. next step I carried out a stall test by putting the vehicle into 5th gear and trying to stall it, it stalled which is a fair indication that the clutch is ok. Also there arent and havent been any signs of clutch trouble during any stage of driving. And there shouldnt be as Ive only just completed the 30k service.

No signs of fluid loss (rear main leak wetting clutch face) or clutch fluid. The only thing that comes to mind is a small vacuum leak every now and then, but only prior to start up.

A gear box/ diff speciallist has mentioned that there is a possibility of a slip occuring within the transfer case, that causes partial drive to the rear prop shaft and majority drive to the front shaft, but unless your hubs are set to lock you will have a feeling of slippage.

I have had the vehicle towed(tilt tray) to nissan and as its under warranty hopefully they will remedy the problem, But I would really appreciate some unbias input as I DO NOT trust nissan sevice, thats another story.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 22:17

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 22:17
Air flow sensor...?
AnswerID: 118693

Follow Up By: Leroy - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 22:23

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 22:23
that doesn't explain a loss in speed when rpm increases. Sounds like a clutch slipping but I read what he said.....

Leroy
FollowupID: 373873

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 22:57

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 22:57
Nah mate, air flow sensors cause ECU light's to come on and the motor to go into fail safe mode, which in turn just makes it drive like gogo mobile.

Is it making any wierd noises other than the engine reving? Grinds, scaraping, clunking etc?
FollowupID: 373880

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 00:08

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 00:08
Hi Wheats,

As you have a manual, the only way to have the problem you describe is for clutch slippage. If the chain drive in the transfer case was slipping, would only be an issue of in 4WD, not the case here. But you have done the obvious test here and seemed to have ruled that out.

Except if the tacho was wrong! Since its an electronic tacho, its "possible" that it was an electronic error if the ECU had a glitch. This would account for reduced road speed but indicated engine reves increase.

Did your engine fault light come on? The problem sounds much more like an airflow meter issue, but the engine light should come on if that was the case.

Would not be suprised if Nissan cannot replicate the problem, but they should be able to check the fault codes in the ECU, hopefully something will show up here.

Sorry not to be more helpful, but your problem as described is not typical.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 118708

Reply By: wheats - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 10:43

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 10:43
Thanks heaps for the responses.

Firstly no engine warning lights came on, and the problem is now constant(vehicle is now with the trusty nissan dealer) as for faulty tacho I dont think so as there was an audible increase in engine revs, the engine runs ok at idle and at cruise.
The only explanation is a slipping clutch, but there are no other signs of wear . I would expect to smell the burning of the clutch after the amount of slipping that occurred.
Im no expert on clutch's or gear boxes but after 10 years in the heavy transport industry I hope I would recognise the smell and sensation of a slipping clutch,
I may well be wrong.
If so has any one else had an experience with a faulty clutch at such low kms 30126kms.
I appreciate the input from all.
AnswerID: 118742

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 13:33

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 13:33
My ex-boss has a 2004 GU manual 3.0TD and he had to replace his clutch at ~25,000kms. Nissan wouldn't warrant it and he was spewing. Reckoned he had driven manuals all his life and never had this type of issue before with a clutch at such low kms. That was until he went for a ride while his wife drove the GU. He then paid the bill and didn't bother Nissan again (and banned his wife from driving the GU!!!).

While there are isolated reports of low clutch life on the 3.0TD GU, 30,000kms is way too low when a clutch has been treated properly. But as in the above case, do you know its been driven properly ALL the time? If 100% sure its been treated OK, then go the jugular on Nissan. But if other drivers may have mistreated, then your pushing the proverbial uphill.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 373940

Reply By: muzzimbidgie - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 19:50

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 19:50
You may not smell the clutch if it only slips every now and then.
AnswerID: 118827

Reply By: wheats - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 00:14

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 00:14
Im 100% certain that Im the only driver since day one of ownership and I would say I treat the vehicle properly as it cost a lot of money and I rely on it.
As for smelling the clutch I can tell you that there was enough slippage there to cause a bomb fire, and I didnt continue driving out of neglect only to safely get off the highway.

As of today nissan have had the vehicle in the workshop for four hours(supposedly) and cannot find the fault. I dont think they have even looked at it yet so tommorrow might tell some stories, I will post the NISSAN verdict.

Thanks again for the input.
AnswerID: 118882

Reply By: wheats - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 01:40

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 01:40
Well another 8 hours in the workshop with the Nissan blokes scratching their heads, Latest assumption is that all evidence leads to the turbo but after 8 hours not quite sure will have to run further tests to confirm.
What a load of crap these guys have got to be kidding, has anyone else had same troubles with nissan service or lack of it???
How many tests can be run? either the turbo is working or isnt, a simple boost gauge would do the trick. Im off to nissan early am tommorrow for a surprise visit. Im certain they are searching high and low for a reason to put the problem onto me and so not to warrant the issue.
AnswerID: 119040

Follow Up By: Leroy - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 11:19

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 11:19
Head office is where you will get action from but they are all a bunch ofbleeps! I had to take my patrol back to the dealer so the manager there could see my gearbox jump out of second gear after some work was done. I don't know what head office was trying to achieve as it was the same prob as before I took the truck in!! Took a couple of months to get a new gearbox out of them.

Leroy
FollowupID: 374381

Sponsored Links