Wheres your Lappy?

Submitted: Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 18:00
ThreadID: 24427 Views:2095 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Im chasing a new stash spot for my laptop whilst driving. I previously had it under the drivers seat ontop of the CD stacker, but I've just purchased a 500W pure sine inverter and its now taken the place of both these items. Under the other seat is the stereo amp, and that gets a little too toasty.
There was a mention before of a box made up for a lappy- Where did the box go? I have a USB hub and extension leads for power, VGA, USB etc, so its distance from the driver isnt really an issue.
I spent some time on the weekend looking, but it looks like I've run out of places to stash my new toys.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 18:44

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 18:44
You can put it under the passengers seat...in MY Truck!
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 118811

Reply By: Casnat - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 18:44

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 18:44
Hi BenSpoon,

It was I who posted about the laptop box. My aim was for it to go under the passenger seat. Once I had it made up it didn't work out though. The laptop would fit when not in the box but the few mm's that the box added was enough that it thendidn't fit. Haven't really settled on a permanent place for it yet.

One thought I had for your situation though, given plenty of length of cables etc, was how about between the back seats and the cargo barrier (assuming you are set up in this way)? You could probably work out a cradle of some sort attached to the cargo barrier that you could slide the laptop down into.

I'll watch this post with interest myself to see if there are any other ideas

Trevor

PS: Tried my setup 1st time last weekend and found my wireless mouse couldn't cope with all the bouncing around and just gave up and froze. Meant we had to put the small screen away and use the laptop open anyway so we could use the inbuilt mouse. Will be reverting to a cable mouse next try.
AnswerID: 118813

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 19:08

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 19:08
I got the touchpad LCD, so I may not have the same dramas as you had with the mouse- They will probably be worse because I struggle as is with my hand-eye coordination on that little screen.

It stopping working seems odd- sure it wasnt the batteries in the mouse rattling out or something like that? Keep in mind that the wireless recievers are picky at times, and some will only work properly when at the same level as the mouse.
I have seen pen pads and touchpads that hang off USB- I might check into the price of these and see what the go is with one of those

I havent got a cargo barrier- I have drawers behind the back seats, and althought here is enough room to wedge something like towels in the small gap that is left, its too snug for my lappy. I am considering mounting the inverter on a middle row seat back, but am concerned about tek screws in a persons back and the difficulty then of folding seats forwards.
FollowupID: 373998

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 20:20

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 20:20
Casnat, if the lappy fits under the seat, what is the reason for the box? If to fix it down so it won't slide, try some velcro. Great stuff. If you have carpet, you might have to contact cement it down to the floor, which might be a bit messy, but at least you will never see it.
It you are worried about scratches on the case, get SHMBO to make a simple cloth bag. Either have a string on each corner and tie it to the chair mounts, or make the bag without a bottom but with elastic so it fits over the laptop, but leaves the bottom exposed.

Another alternative is to tell me I've missed the point entirely. If so, disregard.

I'm experimenting with these ideas at the moment, but havn't reached a solution yet.
FollowupID: 374004

Follow Up By: Casnat - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 22:13

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 22:13
firstly re the wireless mouse......I think it just got itself tied up in knots and gave up. When we got home and read the booklet that came with it there was a tiny "reset" button. After pressing that everything worked again.

Re the box not fitting.....the idea of the box was for protection of the laptop which is actually doubles as my work one. The cloth bag is an option I will give some thought to but it has issues of ventilation which were the subject of my earlier post.

If I fix the mouse issues my box concept seems to be good (except it won't fit (by the bees proverbial!) where I was hoping it would go. In my GU under the seats are the (probably useless) air conditioner outlets which I know some have removed. If I remove them it may give me enough room. Feedback from anyone who has done this mod would be useful. Can it be done without taking the seats out?
FollowupID: 374016

Reply By: Keith_A (Qld) - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 19:07

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 19:07
Perhaps this item could solve your problem : It is called the 'Navagator Laptop Mount' . - http://www.mobiledesksolutions.com/

Their phone is 03-9876-7440 (in Victoria).
worth a look.
regards...........
AnswerID: 118820

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 21:41

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 21:41
Make a box for it to go under the back seat, or just in a laptop bag, under the back seats.. My work one did a few thousand there and didnt die.
AnswerID: 118851

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 22:05

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 22:05
My work one also copped a good litre of bundy, dry and lime to the keyboard and survived, but im not sure if i'd be keen on doing it to my own.
The back seats in an 80 are flat on the floor, so theres no room under. I cant seem to find somewhere to wedge it in, so it looks like the box is the way to go.
FollowupID: 374015

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:39

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:39
AZnother option is a sling over the headrest bag behind the rear seats?
Do the rear seats lift up at all like the GQ ones (eg, you can fold them, then sit them up against the front seats)? Then there would be a pocket of space under them...
yea box sounds like your only choice.

Another option is mounting some of your other kit to the Cargo barrier, Ive seen many things mounted there up out of the way of water as well.
FollowupID: 374061

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:40

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:40
Cheers mate
hanging below or off the headrests sounds like a good plan. Up out of the water, a secure mounting place, ventilated, easy access to plugsand connectors...
I reckon you're on a winner.
FollowupID: 374077

Reply By: Des Lexic - Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 22:12

Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 22:12
I have mine suspended into one of those tidyall thingamejigs that is tied to the cargo barrier. It has a large mesh pocket which allows the lappy to ventilate the air easily. It is between the seats and I just set it up prior to departing, drop it into the pocket and away we go. If I need to adjust it, It lifts easily out of the pocket, make any alterations etc and drop it back in.
The tidy all is secured to the cargo barrier with zip ties and I inserted a piece of foam about 10mm thick between the tidy all and the barrier where the lappy is to take out any shocks etc. Works for me.
AnswerID: 118862

Reply By: junior - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 03:52

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 03:52
Ben, what's the deal with this touchpad lcd you mention???
AnswerID: 118890

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 11:25

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 11:25
Its a standard 7" colour LCD, but it acts as a touchpad thru USB as well. It has a built in mono speaker, but no TV tuner. It has RGB (computer) input as well as a mono AV input (standard video). So you can basically connect it up to a lappy, VCR, playstation, digital camera... whatever. Runs off 12V, so its just a cigarette socket connection

If you have had success installing drivers for the USB to Serial adapters, then I reckon you'd have success with installing the touch drivers for one of these. Alot of people have had dramas, but it does work. It aslo comes with some handy utils- A one-click shutdown util, and one for selecting left or right mouse click for screen touches.

The touchpad control itself is pretty fiddly- it seems as though the touchpad membrane refracts some of the light from the screen which can make it appear blurry, and the brightness needs to be adjusted between day and night driving (although Ozi Explorer has a useful night-mode though) other than that though they do a pretty good job. I was trying to steer clear of having my lappy hot box on someone's lap for longer travels, and the unit is a good compromise.

It is a lilliput, and was purchased thru ebay from a shop in HK- beware the cost of shipping, customs tax (get around it by writing "GIFT ONLY" on packaging) and the cost of a wire transfer to overseas. These costs almost came to as much as the unit, and I have no local warranty etc, but it still worked out cheaper than locally purchased stuff.... in Kal anyway.
FollowupID: 374081

Follow Up By: junior - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 00:55

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2005 at 00:55
thanx Ben- looks like something I didn't know I needed till I saw your post- my lappy is a huge 17" toshiba, so this looks the goods!
FollowupID: 374196

Sponsored Links